Opsec. Just do it

Ok so to piggyback off of the other thread - Opsec. You should already have a brief understanding of what opsec is so let’s get into it. This isn’t just about P25 - it’s just the first topic to focus on due to the news that was reported.

P25 and how it is a dead giveaway

P25 is essentially encryption of broadcasted radio waves. To the layman that doesn’ t know what he’s looking for or listening to this is garbled gibberish - not even intelligible by any stretch of the imagination however this is not common practice for most radio operators. Bear in mind that most local branches of enforcement are utilizing this but not extremely widespread which in rural areas normally means some sort of specialty operator in the region conducting some sort of work.

How to find it?

Easy, radio scanners. You see ‘radio’ is a vast spectrum covering much more than AM or FM. It covers our cell phones, previous terrestrial television broadcasts which have been phased out but also digital broadcasts (more complex signals, but broadcast over radio waves nonetheless). Now what you would need to familiarize yourself is the basic ARRL bandplan chart and frequency allocation as if you are dealing with something - chances are they have to play by the rules and therefore there you go. The rules are right there.

Now that you know WHERE to look, the hardware is actually pretty easy. You can either hand-scan it with a shortwave radio that’s a boombox-type, or you can get handheld units. These units are listed as shortwave radios as they stretch below and above the normal frequencies we’re used to reaching so any sort of radio won’t exactly do. I personally like to use SDRs or software defined radios (SDRplay are my personal favorites. Very cheap and effective if you pair it with the right antenna and eliminate sources of electronic noise - ballasts are very common sources of interference for future reference) which allow you to control a radio much more effectively by being able to switch what software you want to use thusly making scanning a lot easier and not just that - you can actually record the data you’re hearing in realtime if you want a reference later on. It’s very simple and well documented by the authors. At this point you’ll be looking for this noise, thusly signifying two things. THERE ARE FOXES IN THE HENHOUSE AND THEY ARE FUCKIN` CLOSE ENOUGH YOU PICK UP THEIR PIDDLY-ASS LITTLE SIGNAL THAT PROBABLY ISN’T EVEN COMING FROM A LARGER ONE BROADCASTING IN YOUR AREA. To double check this see if there are any public agencies that use P25 and on which frequency if so. This is all easily documented and public info, good starting points are the FCC, radio enthusiast groups and sometimes the city in question.

So all and all what does this tell us? We know where in a vast spectrum to look, what to listen for and what it means. As with everything there is variables in alllll of this but this is the nuts and bolts basic to know to do the dew.

781e9d4

I’ll be adding more shortly but this is a starting point to sort of differentiate itself from the other thread. If you would like to try to check out large swaths of the radio bands by yourself I suggest online SDRs which will allow you to tune to whatever frequency you want granted their antenna supports it.

This one is by far my favorite resource of online SDRs - be sure to consult the map so you know exactly where the tower is located and what part of the world’s traffic you’ll be getting because it sure as shit won’t be local more than likely. Consider this a starting point to familiarize yourself.

18 Likes

I think knowing the popular rally points that law enforcement like to gather in your area is helpful.

Have workers check those spots in and out of the property

Let’s cool friends know to notify if they see anything. Gas station workers see alot

5 Likes

Choose your wooks carefully

Optimal wookstevie-east

Less optimal
images (16)

19 Likes

Fuck that.

Wooks are really the biggest threat to Security

I marrying a Thai lady with 6 brothers and flying them all Over

One Thai wook is worth 5 americans

9 Likes

Haitians have had the best opsec of any group of people Ive met. Not only will your enemies keep it sacred for you, they are the most careful people ive worked with. Their communication is unparalleled. No one enters or exits their neighborhoods without them knowing.

Once raiders set up behind my lab and were flying drones overhead. I was able to react before the raiders could land their drone.

This is now a blessed wooks thread

8 Likes

The Hmong were always good to me for keeping their heads down for work and keeping the trap quiet, minus the cigarette butts in the trim and pho fish oil and betel nut stains on my drywall.

13 Likes

New nodes taste amazing in hot pot btw - give it a shot after you trim

2 Likes

Hmong, Lao, Thai and Koreans in California are very underestimated. Amazing cultures food and hustle.

7 Likes

Fort Wayne, IN, the #2 population of Hmong outside Myanmar (Burma).

Man, I never had the opportunity to put hustling Somalians to work in Minneapolis.

3 Likes

Hmong are the best trimmers in the world hands down

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

5 Likes

The hmong’s kill it up here, they are a very tight community. If your on the level your all good, if not they got alot of land in the pines. Also mr lee’s wife is a mean ass cook, love going over there.

7 Likes

Cool post! Thanks for taking the time to draft this up. It’s very interesting. Just wanted to let you know it didn’t fall on deaf ears. When I got into cannabis I was running a grey as F delivery service and chimed into police logs until it went private. That’s why I don’t really break the law anymore, too paranoid and never made enough to justify it. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

im a small scale guy but for me to have listened into radios in the pas wouldve been crazy- no untrustworthy people is my opsec. its failed in the past but they just ripped me and I didnt go to jail so thats ok

1 Like

also I heard you can pay off a dirty cop= thats opsec. im accepting bids on not getting busted… NO RESERVE AUCTION

2 Likes

Until you get pulled over with a bag of kitty litter and they are like- whats this for. and confiscate your money- LOL

2 Likes

If you think people get only raided because someone snitched that’s a wonderful world you live in

2 Likes

Since we’re discussing opsec, mind elaborating on the other reasons?

1 Like

are you saying it comes from social media or forums or by people just doing dumb shit? IN MY HISTORY ITS USUALLY A NARC OR SOME BS STRATED FROM A TRAFFIC STOP. sorry about the caps it was accidental

1 Like

ir you del with shady people or non trusted wooks all kinda shit happens like stolen stereos or tvs and just dumb shit. I am always in need of help for that reason. I got my wook in today and he did a good job.