[Open Source Design Project] - Falling Film Evaporator

Good start but you’ve got a ways to go before a functioning prototype…

You are using a spray ball to distribute spray??? :man_facepalming:

you must not have read thru this thread.

Won’t work. Misting tips are the only option.

And again, just putting “shell and tube” in your parts list means nothing… pay extra close attention to exactly how many and what size tubes are found in these shell and tubes. Your “exchangers” are 36”

Our exchangers are 60”

@Thetetraguy It’s a little comical how your so bitter and seem to try to attack us :man_facepalming: as this thing you are building is nowhere near as equipped as our units, but we would have been happy to point you in an accurate direction!

A nice friendly question and we could have given you an accurate direction of pursuit regarding your most necessary parts for this unit.

Looks like cena likes your design :joy::rofl::joy:

Expect them rolling a bunch of these out of their mud hole real soon! (And We come from the trenches, we’re referring to the mud hole of bad business)

In all honesty the exchangers and quality rack are the most expensive part of this package.

I believe you’ll be surprised to see the actual cost once all parts are included. :man_facepalming: I believe the only American company offering accurate exchangers for these units charges 9k per exchanger.

We offer these units at such low profit margins
To the community it’s sad to see haters, but where there is progress there is usually hate.

And I’m sure you will take this post as shade from FF, but I can guarantee it will spark the :spoon:
That will get you heading in the right direction.

Still wish ya the best friend :v:

Your Almost there! :clap::fist::v:

Yup the spray cap, is a 6" round cap with 1/2" npt that can have any spray nozzle u wanna put on there. Im also getting ptfe inserts to raise the holes to flood in.
Obviously i didnt put every every part on here, just the jist of things. The list is also missing obvious 1/2" pipes/hoses, connections, etc.
Saw someone else had wool, another dude just let it drain down his exchanger from the side.
Thanks for the input and shade. This is just to get me started, i can add exhangers later :yum:

6 Likes

:man_facepalming: PTFE inserts!

sooo much easier to machine…

5 Likes

That response is saltier than you not honoring the “buy one get one free” sale after a fella member repeatedly inquired about the special. You than respond To him that your a hour late and missed out XD. Savage. Seems like false advertising just to get normal sales. Btw don’t feel all that special when your just replicating equipment from the petro world. Do you even know any theories and laws associated with process systems? extensive knowledge of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics? Or is it shop talk and google searching with a good welder leading the way? The “ misting distribution is the only way” said everything about your process intellect. Can you get anybody on here to verify the buy get one free purchase?

@Thetetraguy I’ll help fill some things in since im spicy and come from the “mud” . he meant atomizer nozzle as misting distribution. They have another way to feed the column also. I’ll just text you that info. The 9k heat exchangers i would look i to Alfa laval as a preheat exchanger. The objective in FFE is surface area contact, maintaining process parameters while trying to direct the vapor in the least resistance way. Also factoring in how to reduce thermal bridging to save on heat exchangers. I would try to break down the process flow by implementing a multi structured column such as combing the falling tubing with plate column/tower. Also any metal fabricator can put these a rack together. I know a company in OR that’s well known in the industry that can do all the custom fabrication and mill. I’ll hit you up later today.

4 Likes

9k is taxed for a tube and shell

Mine cost 2500 with shipping from china

And I had it custom manufactured with raised tubes

Duda diesel has asme approved heat exchangers for a good price

They have large or small heat exchangers

3 Likes

Love to know also…

1 Like

You have a brazed plate heat exchanger correct? What is the output on what temperature rating? Or you’re talking about a shell and tube if so Single pass or double? If none of the above was it a cross, counter, or parallel flow? I’ll most probably can’t find one that’s ASME approved to match the China one but i can find more efficient ones that run way less than 9k. I don’t get why paying that that much when you can series flow heat exchangers.

@The_Lone_Stiller lol i dont want to make it that easy for everybody that reads this forum but i don’t mind messaging you later. Nearly every new equipment and more than half of our teks have been used in different industries for centuries. We just like to put our finesse on it and switch names so it can’t be found on search engines. Just do some research and later today I’ll send you a dm when i get in my laptop. i literally just got off and i need to get some ZzZs

4 Likes

flood trays have already been posted in this thread

6 Likes

How much trouble are you having with clogging on the shell and tube heat exchangers running unwinterizes bho ???
I guess 3/8 inch tubes are like the minimum diameter to be able to clean properly once in a while

1 Like

run hot solvent through before it clogs

2 Likes

@Juice311

Correct, we do get a little salty when we offer such a jaw dropping package, only to have a singular rude Prospective client out of dozens involved in our sale
Blast our post with petty accusations
And even advertisements for other FFE units.

If he would have been understanding and calm we would been been more than happy to extend some sort of comp for not receiving a sale package.

But even so, we still posted with a “read between the lines” attitude aimed at helping the disgruntled client, we had no intention of a bash fest in this thread.

We come from the mud as well, and we do what we do because we love to do it, not to feel “special”

We do not have to do business with any rude or demanding clients and never will.

What we WILL always do, is leave crumbs off the spoon to point the direction, even for those rude clients…we may even put a post up from time to time sparking a spoon fest like this one to help whatever OP is hungry at the moment.

The fact is we love the industry and what we do, some people will like us, some will hate us.

We’re just going to keep doing us and hope you can do the same!

FF TEAM

Right???
And then they proceeded to say, oh no worries in 3 weeks we will have this sale again for christmas. Complete BS. These units supposedly have a 4-8 week lead time, they could have easily squeezed me into the christmas deal.
(Ill probably just offer this design drop shipped for much cheaper during their “sale”, lets drive the price down a bit, eh?)
They ignored my inquiries (even when i was being polite), then after i got bitter and gave up, i started working out my own FFE design, only took 3 or 4 hours to figure it out and find off the shelf parts for everything.
Thankfully for this thread, its quite obvious how they work.
Lol failing fabrications thinks they are handing out crumbs on spoons, when its all on the forum already, and probably where they learned it from haha, so thats nice of you :+1:
Have a great day!

2 Likes

Sad to see petty moves like this.

We’ve been involved in extraction for 15 years and unfortunately clients with attitudes like yours are a dime a dozen.

We are an honest company doing honest business.

And after seeing how you react to not getting what you want we are VERY happy to have chosen to not continue business with you.

our units are USA made and come with the knowledge to run them correctly.

We hope you do start selling your design and hope you kill it.

No need for petty moves or whatever it is your attempting here. Just reflects poorly on you.

Our clients are loyal and our units advertise and sell themselves.

Good luck in your ventures.

:ok_hand::v:

2 Likes

Just offering a cheaper solution, and not taking a markup like some US companies do. Its called competition, its great for consumers.
Ill just be offering the steel, no support, like you claimed to do b4, but now offer lifetime support and doubled the price. People want to pay for a machine, not to pay for a dude to talk about it. Especially when theres forums like this and we can help each other out.
Did u make profit during ur bogo sale? Yes of course, so usually retail your units are double what they actuslly cost the consumer during the sale, hence the " bogo sale"

3 Likes

We do not “double” our price.

Our price rose because we chose to source AND weld our steel right here in the PNW of Washington, and because we chose to pursue offering FULL consultation on initial setup parameters, and continuing that free of charge FFE consult indefinitely for every customer purchasing one of our units.

I am excited for you to pursue this venture.

Unfortunately there is a lot of hidden charges running a business such as ours that you will surely be confronted with, and I’m sure this dream of “driving the prices down further” will be left in the wind.

We welcome competition, and even constructive criticisms. But just outright tantrums because you feel you didn’t get what you are entitled is too far my friend.

We put years into sourcing our steel from The right supplier, for the right price…sourcing our certified welder from the hoards of welders in the United States. And ensuring we can offer every last detail on how to assemble AND operate our units in a safe and efficient manner.

There has Always been China made parts available and even whole units provided from China companies available to anybody willing to take that risk and jump on their own. But tell me my friend, if said person is knowledgeable enough to piece their own unit together and possess the knowledge on how to run it, why would they buy from you and not directly from China? Since your steel will just be mass produced Chinese steel?

Even so We do not usually cater to those people, some want their hand held and the whole process done for them smoothly, WITHOUT a green tax. And WITH quality American Steel. That’s where we come in.

And with a lifetime warranty on our steel, and also lifetime deals on new upgrades to our systems, (including the plate condensing package we only charge repeat clients 5k for that puts our 6” unit at 180gph recovery) we feel we are in a market of our own.

The markup we offer on our units is actually less than the markup a process engineer might charge for designing/assembling a brewery, milk plant, or other relatable process equipment… and FAR less than any other American company offering extraction related equipment.

We love the forum, and everybody involved, and plan to continue offering what we bring to the industries table for the foreseeable future.

FF TEAM

I don’t think you see your fault in this ordeal. I’ll explain it to you. Tetra has been a member on here for a while and i seen what he did. Your buy get one free doesn’t seem likely from a new started company. Tetra posted fair and even was stoked at first for the deal. Than as time progressed he started poking Bc how you played it out and the likelihood was just to traffic customers to you without ever delivering the deal. He also does like this forum and what he did was just calling you on it. He seen a foul play but yet again you despised him as being a hot head customer but really he was just stating facts and wanted answers . The very least somebody to say they received this deal. I’m betting the only reason he is designing a FFE was bc of you. You created competition by not taking a better course of action on resolving the issues and the price of equipment. Than it was 100% justified in his eyes to continue when you made that post earlier where he never said a thing to you on this one. You have a young company and i hope this is a lesson you can learn from.

@Thetetraguy well i guess since he isn’t going to honor the sale or trying better to resolve the issue and you need a FFE I’ll throw all my info on this system to ya. I already know just one peice that can be changed and will make them more efficient. You have to consider these things going into this. Learning CAD & PI&D software programs I’ll share where to get. It’s a whole different world when fabricating but a journey that has its perks. Here is an example of Tri-Clover sizing.
Glacier Tri-Clamp sizing chart

sell the PI&D, building instructions, vendor list, and recommendation on engineering firm for peer review as a package. Have the firm peer review the model and customers can have there’s field tested at there facility by the same firm. NDA and watermark the pages individual for documentation. They will still be passed around but at the same time if this was sold for like 500-1000 or shoot even 2k. I couldn’t see people who was considering an FFE be that cheap and not pay the piper and saving major dough putting the pieces together themselves. This is minimal investing and headaches but still be able to make a dollar. Crumbles don’t sound to bad aye? Make sure you want to endeavor into this project. It’s a lot to go into this and the rabbit hole tends to get to deeper as these things pan out.

@downtheterphole nailed it.

I never read this thread except the last bit last night or i would of said this earlier. They have multiple styles of weir liquid distribution. I never knew they were implanting these in design ffe. If you’re thinking about building one if these i have some interesting nozzle companies I’ll send ya way. I would think a hobbyist would have an easier day with a nozzle install than the type that’s been stated.

4 Likes

@Roguelab mentioned stuck crude. Wouldn’t the recommendation to feed the system with virgin solvent first than introduce crude once parameters are met?

:man_facepalming: Unbelievable accusations.

You “seen what he did?”

“Understand our fault”?

“A lesson we can learn from”!?

Our customers know who they are.

We have no need to call them out.

Fact is, guy was rude and didn’t get what he wanted and is throwing a tantrum.

The simple fact you claim we staged this sale to “traffic customers” in a bait and switch manner is an absurd claim and goes against everything we are as a company, and if you have followed us here you would see that.

We’ve always promoted DIY and always will, so we’re kind of missing the arrow over here…

Distribution plates are great, We offer raised evaporation tubes on our units as well as distribution plates on upgraded models…

We always recommend pursuing Plate condensers as well… just source sanitary dismantling plate condensers, not brazed sealed condensers…

:man_shrugging: :ok_hand::v:

1 Like

Thanks, im not great at fabricating/welding steel myself, but i do have a great connection to people who can make most anything from a drawing, im well versed in graphic design, so making 3d models of what i need wont be too hard, if i ever have to go down that route.
Im also not in need of anything that is red tape friendly, im going to be operating under “prop 215” still.

1 Like