Opaline Silica Thread

My hunch is it needs to be ground into a finer powder

1 Like

Ive used b80 without baking and with baking. Theres not much of a difference. Just seems like baked b80 can pick up slight amount more before being spent.

1 Like

@J12 and @cyclopath could it be possible solvent is freezing water and preventing the sites from working. Maybe a warmer run would allow for the silica to work with out having to bake the moisture out?

The way i do my runs the media is in my columns in a freezer before they are run so moisture would be frozen before the run anyways. I don’t know why that would work with b80 and not the silica?

we are talking about ice not water

right, it freezes and falls right off.

same way it does when covering your trichomes.

are you sure of that? 'cause I’m not.

I’ve had enough chemistry to not know.

it’s called an hypothesis.

based on my experience, the opaline silica works when appropriately dried. my best guess for why it did not work for @j12 is that they did not dry it first.

if you’re sure you know why it didn’t work, and that it wasn’t the water, I’m cool with that. I don’t have to agree with you, and you don’t have to dry your magic dirt.

I will repeat that the wizard said the magic dirt MUST BE DRIED to work, AND, currently 100% of the “failed to work” were not dried. Does that mean vit e acetate causes vapi? how the fuck would I know?

3 Likes

It may not freeze the same way b80 does. Or maybe water doesn’t bind to the active sites on the b80.

My theory with passing your solution through the media warm/hot would allow for the solution to interact with the silica by the molecules moving faster and pushing its way through the water into the site. That is if water/ice prevents the silica from interacting from forming a barrier
Just because water doesn’t affect the outcome of b80 doesn’t mean water won’t have an effect on remediation with different clays and silicas

1 Like

actually, that is a great point.

we always recirculated out of the recovery pot.
So temps were in the 30C range.

it might be temp not water content.

Edit: nah this doesn’t work. First 4 columns through the media were always at -50C or so, and usually did not require re-circulation (see photon’s tome above).

1 Like

i Don’t think so i always run a little silica with B80 and at -50 -60. It works great i hardly think that slight moisture in the media would completely change the outcome. I’m thinking media size. Powders or sand seem to filter much better then kitty litter size media.

I’ll dry the media and try that for the next run.

different when ice is in a packed cake…has no where to fall right off

and yes i am guessing too…but seems logical to me when talking about it freezijg and hitting with -50 solvent

im with you j12 on not drying the media…but maybe the size of the granules require every bit of dryness at this point bc yes the flow rate looks like it will be really fast

1 Like

Judging off how the B80 works under those conditions i think even if present it’s negligible. It should have still remedied the concentrate better than it did.

my money is on media size

Lmao you made my night with this hahahahaha

2 Likes

@cyclopath
Let’s see this loop your referring too… I don’t get how you would do it without a liquid pump when you would have equal pressure on both sides

Me neither…

As far as “pictures or it didn’t happen”. No can do. Doesn’t exist anymore.

there was a sketch up on the white board when this was explained in Vegas, and I could have sworn it was posted around here somewhere.

@Photon_noir’s description

There’s more too it…so follow the link back up thread for the novella.

Or even start again from the top if you haven’t seen how we got here yet.

1 Like

Add an intermediate heat exchanger between the CRC and collection and you can really up that recovery rate …
Off topic, please continue…

6 Likes

This sounds like a math problem for @downtheterphole :laughing:

1 Like