Waxing or contamination in bho using CRC

What would microwaving the powders do to them? I’ve done it in the past in short bursts, 15-30 seconds, and I think a few others here have done so as well. Would this collapse the layers too?

Wow, the detail here is fantastic. Thanks so much.

I baked the clay over night under vac, full clean on my system and will try with solely washed and dried B80.

My run yesterday (T41, Celite and B80) came out a bit more snappy, still a touch tacky. But sacrificed some yield and colour.

My question is, what is really stumping me;

Why did the first run I did with the following controls end up perfect? Product was clean, snappy and has a slight nose to it. Terpene profile was good for shatter.

Run 1:

• 1:1 B80/trim in the CRC column
  • chilled fuel
  • filter stack
  • 5lbs trim

I’m getting all my different tests done with a chemist friend for the breakdown of cannabinoids, PH level, terpene profile. The second stuff I had tested (using unwashed B80) had an extremely high terpene profile for shatter. Which leads me to believe the acidity might be off. I will get PH levels back today.

2 Likes

This is twister T2 machine trim color using CRC using 100% n butane Ultra cold.

8 Likes

We started running into the same issue this whole week. Ours seemed to progressively get more terpy and tackier over the course of the week. We typically run b80, AA but have tried it with a t5/AA and just t5 with no real change.

We suspect we have built up terpenes in our solvent tank. We recently switched to column recovery with a trs21 and warm water sleeve. And we top off the main solvent tank with that recovered solvent.

We will be cleaning that solvent on Monday to see if that helps.

Has anyone else had too many terps trapped in the solvent tank ?

Never had an issue with terps coming through.

Although I believe the theory @Dr_Jebril provided being moisture in the clay itself was the culprit.

The test run of the B80 clay which was under vac and baked for 12 hours came out very clean and snapped within 30 mins of being in the oven after it was muffined. I will test again in higher volume tomorrow, but so far seems to be the answer :+1:t4::+1:t4:

7 Likes

Thanks for getting back with your preliminary data @Dextract

different dirt. but apparently this still applies…

although with the opaline silica, there were absolutely reports of success with out prior drying…

2 Likes

Maybe im missing something but i purposely want my slabs to do this and if it doesnt happen i know its some junk.

I have equated it to the CRC media removing pigment, etc that makes the individual compounds rock up (crash) easier. Maybe im totally wrong

If i make slabs that dont have as heavy terps it could take a week or more for this to occur.

If its super saucy it will crash over night and the more terps present more THCa will precipitate out in a sugary form (over time depending on temp/pressure)

The very best slabs will crash overnight under -20"Hg vacuum at 85°F

Why would I want slabs that dont crash out? If its weak trim it should goto distillate/isolate anyways. Slabs are so 10 years ago and imo are for the BM

If i get slabs that dont nucleate its from 1 of 2 things

1. low terp biomass
  2. improper CR
2 Likes

are they appropriately still called slabs after sugaring up?

or do you need to be able to pick them up in one piece and wave them for that moniker to truly apply?

(dunno, that’s why I’m asking)

3 Likes

Wow looks amazinf :fire:

Good question :wink: the reason you want them to sugar up is then the terps separate from the crystals. And the more terps you have (live resin is best) the more they separate from the precipitated crystals and then you have this beautiful mother liquor that smells better than the actual starting material.

Thats what i use to cut my distillate with at about 30% to make a primo cannabis only pen cart

So to paraphrase myself - no theyre not slabs anymore, if you CR’d properly they should be pretty close to isolate

3 Likes

I’ve baked my clay under vac at a few different temps, as the reps increased more and more moisture was pulled. Left the trays of clay under vac with no continuous suction for a night and my oven was lined with precipitation. I’m shocked at the moisture content of this material and leaving it out if your in a humid area obviously make it a lot worse.

The more I bake the clay the more snap in my material. Although using the moist B80 seems to kill it when your wanting nucleation. Mimics live resin incredibly.

6 Likes

thank you!

I would not advise microwave, but who knows. This is not a conventional method in clay sciences, Im not aware of any use. Only thing I know is that it is not a homogeneous process (hence the spinning plate in classic devices), and may be detrimental if focused on the same spot for too long.

The oven techniques is the classic.
Freeze drying can be superior, but not of great interest in the present topic (more in case where you intend to powderise the material afterwards. ).

Solvent exhange works as well, but that is not of interest in the present topic neither (main interest is for special embeding technique for microstructural studies).

1 Like

as in “infused” magic dirt? :thinking:

or would “doped” be more descriptive in this case? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Doped would be the case if the solvent would be added to the system.

Infused would make more sense…
I would also say “alcoholic”, “soaked”, or even “impregnated”.

@drake If you always want your BHO to sugar up, use straight iso-butane instead of n-butane. Extract your biomass with iso-butane at temperatures above -60°C (and preferably above -40°C/F)… you can still do CRC to lighten it up. When you pour, it helps to stir some air bubbles into the honey phase of the purging resin. This combination of treatments will make almost every batch sugary. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Dr_Jebril The opaline silica actually functions the way it does by having an oxygen lattice “doped” with aluminum atoms. :wink:

5 Likes

Would you say that a dry ice/iso cooled system be in the range needed to use isobutane?
I don’t crc currently , dewax only , using n-butane. Am I using the wrong solvent to achieve sugar?

1 Like

No i can sugar with any solvent. Its all in the purge

5 Likes

You can sugar from any solvent. Senpai @Photon_noir is just giving his Tek for nearly invariably sugar!

6 Likes