Nitrogen assist assistance

Hi friends. I have some questions regarding doing a nitrogen assist on my closed loop system. I’ve been digging through some threads and have gathered some decent clarity on what to do but I have a few questions so that I can tighten things up a bit. Thanks in advance for any help and to anyone who has been a source of knowledge on the subject for me so far on the forum.

I’ve tested using N2 once with a CRC in line beneath the column, pushing all the solvent in my tank with N2 increased up to 50psi (on the injection side pressure gauge) through the vapor port; solvent running through a slurry chilled injection coil with the collection pot in alcohol/dry ice slurry with the recovery port on my collection pot hooked up to a long hose to vent the N2 out into the yard farther away before I proceed to passive recovery. This seemed to work well enough but this process could definitely use a bit more clarification and I will be getting a larger solvent recovery tank soon and will not want to use the entirety of its contents in one run.

Where in the loop are people generally pushing the nitrogen through? Vapor port on the recovery tank seems to be common however I’m not clear on what to do when one stops pushing with nitrogen in the case where you might not be using all of the solvent in the recovery cylinder. For instance if you wanted to push 15lbs of the 30lbs total of solvent in a recovery tank, how would you suggest bleeding off the accumulated N2 pressure used to push in the recovery tank? I would imagine it would be preferable and perhaps somewhat necessary to relieve this pressure somehow prior to recovery. Are people just letting the N2 pressure in the solvent tank bleed down by continuing solvent flow until the pressure drops? Or perhaps, is the N2 pressure generally just bled off after stopping solvent flow by chilling the solvent tank in slurry prior to recovery and burping the N2 and pressure off? The time I had tested, I cleared all of the solvent out as it was conveniently what I needed to run the column and I just bled the N2 pressure off before recovery.

I am seeing that people are recovering nitrogen along with the solvent and burping later but I’m curious if people are doing this without bleeding nitrogen off of the collection and recovery tanks in some form during/after the push?

What psi is suggested on the N2 regulator? When I tested N2 assist, I increased the psi slowly up to 50 psi because I don’t have PRVs on my setup yet and have seen people express concern about implementing them with N2 assist due to pressure increase concerns. I personally did not see any big pressure jumps but I also played it cautiously, raising N2 pressure slowly. This may come off as a naive question but I’m curious as to what is the nature of the interaction between N2 and solvent that is causing concern? Is it the presumably warmer temp of the N2 gas mixing with super chilled solvent in the column generating pressure that is the concern? I’ll be putting some PRVs on the system before I get much deeper into using N2 assist again.

I’m thinking of adding extra valves on a tee on the liquid and vapor sides of the recovery tank to hook N2 up to. I saw someone had mentioned implementing N2 in a similar manner. I’m thinking I can initially push through the vapor port until I’ve run enough solvent, then shut the liquid and vapor ports and push the remaining solvent through the system from a valve between the liquid port and the chilled injection coil, through the system into the collection pot on slurry with a valve on the collection pot bleeding N2 off the collection until recovery when I will chill the recovery tank on slurry, burp the N2 pressure and proceed to typical passive recovery.

I’m trying to put together a setup where I wouldn’t be disconnecting/reconnecting any hoses so that I could keep the system as closed as possible aside from nitrogen burping.

6 Likes

The vapor port on your solvent tank (recovery tank as you’ve called it. they certainly can be different tanks. in many cases they are the same) is a reasonable place to push from.

You absolutely don’t want to try and get solvent BACK in there with 50PSI of N2 in it.

you can bleed the pressure off IF your solvent tank is below the boiling point of your solvent. Otherwise you’re ALSO blowing off solvent. For pure Butane, that’s around 0C, for pure propane, it’s closer to -45C

Some folks will just bleed it off anyway, venting solvent to atmosphere will cool the tank, and assuming you’re not actively heating it, eventually it will stop venting, and you’ll probably still have solvent in there.

Not a good plan imo, but it IS done.

same goes for anywhere else you choose to bleed off. if your solvent is adding no pressure, because it’s well below it’s boiling point, then almost everything that can be vented will be N2. it will probably still set off your flammable gas detector. I haven’t actually tried setting it on fire.

if you want to force everything into your receiver with N2 (very handy trick), then having your receiver COLD ( ~10C below boiling point of your solvent) will allow you to vent. if your receiver is already warm when the solvent goes in there, then some of the pressure will be hydrocarbons…

13 Likes

Place a valve to simply close off and isolate the chambers after the proper volume is moved to the next chamber. It won’t matter what the pressure is in each tank (as long as they are within tolerances).

3 Likes

@ebakklbasi: how does that work without venting?

if one adds an incompressible gas to the system every run, and does not vent, how can one stay within tolerances?!?

By definition, gases are compressible. For sure, nitrogen is.

Cyclopath, thank you very much for the insight on this topic as well as on many other threads I’ve read! I’ve found lots of very useful information in quite a few of your posts.

I’ll be moving to a jacketed solvent tank soon so ideally I’ll be able to keep the solvent tank cold much more easily than slurry, which isn’t all that difficult I suppose. For now, the slurry around the tank definitely does the trick. When I did test the N2 push, I kept the collection on slurry and vented when pushing; which I will continue to do when I run N2 push again after I make some mods.

I’d be curious to see how others may have their valves setup on their tanks to achieve a N2 push without having to disconnect and reconnect anything. I would imagine I can figure something out on my own but many people seem to have some good tricks that I wouldn’t have thought of on my own.

Thanks for the suggestion. You’re correct, nitrogen as a gas is definitely compressible but I’m thinking that the pressure necessary to meaningfully compress it in this context might exceed the capabilities of the vessels in use. I could be wrong though.

3 Likes

@nucleotide: you are correct nitrogen will not liquify in our equipment.

yes, it can be compressed, but for the purposes of running a CLS, compression to a liquid is simply NOT happening.

vapor pressure of almost 500PSI at -150C…couldn’t find one at 25C.

https://www.bnl.gov/magnets/Staff/Gupta/cryogenic-data-handbook/Section6.pdf

unlike our favorite hydrocarbons…which are more than happy to become liquids at pressures (safely) achievable in a 6" or 12" vessel secured with sanitary clamps (depending on hydrocarbon/blend chosen Propane Butane Mixture - Evaporation Pressure).

3 Likes

I added several of these to my 2015 PX1 to “simplify” the plumbing.
it did nothing of the sort, and essentially meant I was the only one who could run it…:rofl:

although I used the NPT version with JIC fittings. And stacked the 3-way’s on top of the OEM valves (actually I tossed the OEM valves, so on top of their replacements).

expensive, and confusing without the labels that I was gonna add, but definitely made getting what I wanted where I wanted it much easier to achieve, without having to move hoses around.

I only stacked them on the OEM valves so that I could remove them to restore the machine to a “stock” configuration if anyone wanted to check the certification on the rig.

also gave me top vs bottom flood & on-column recovery in addition to N2 push and vent to outside.
I believe I installed five of the things.

designed some lovely labels using 2" Alu angle “iron”. drill a hole for the valve stem, then use “sharpie anodizing” to make permanent labels.

6 Likes

Ahhh, lovely. Yeah I bet those valves don’t run cheap! I’ve scrolled past them and have seen the prices on both the npt and compression versions and have noted the prices being a bit high.

In my currently “official” profession, I’m known to do similar things with our setups; simplified to me but more confusing to my compadres!

I’ll probably be taking an essentially similar route using tees at the vapor and liquid ports to isolate the solvent tank at each side when necessary to allow me to flow N2 with 2 dedicated N2 lines hooked up to the tees at both the vapor and liquid sides and perhaps use a 4 way tee on the vapor side to hook up a dedicated venting hose for the solvent tank.

My incoming solvent tank has two 3/8” vapor ports so I could probably just use the second one for venting and forego the 4 way tee. We shall see.

1 Like

I didn’t suggest that it becomes liquid at all. All I said was the fact that gas is compressible, when you said it was incompressible. In fact, I suggested a valve, the exact suggestion you made in a subsequent post.

yep. you recommended a valve.
you did not mention the need to vent.

I did; and went into when, how, and why.
When asked by OP, I came back and offered a valve that I had found useful.

YES, nitrogen can be compressed. If you work at it.
The point is, at some point you need vent if you use nitrogen.

In order to do it safely, you have to know that all, or at least most, of the gas you are releasing is Nitrogen. Easiest way to do that is to know the boiling point of your solvent, and understand vapor pressure.

NO, you didn’t mention liquid, I did.

At rm temp you can keep putting butane gas into a container at 17 PSI till it’s completely full of liquid…and you should never do that.

You may know that an 80% fill is the max safe level, but I’m repeating it here because you’re not the only one reading.

The OP wants to push 1/2 that liquid butane out and through their biomass with 50PSI nitrogen. If they don’t vent that nitrogen from their solvent tank, and put the solvent back, they are now a 100PSI (that’s the math for the please don’t do this at home 100% fill. I’m too lazy to do the correct 80% right now).

if they’ve also pressurized the column and receiver at 50 PSI, and try to recover without venting, they are looking at 200PSI in their solvent tank.

I understand that referring to nitrogen as incompressible goes against what you were taught.
I’m even happy to say “yep, your absolutely right! Nitrogen IS compressible”. [did I say that already?]

Yep, I bought in liquid out of left field [sorry. its relevant]

I got the terminology from @Photon_noir.
It didn’t sit well with me at first either.
Apparently I got used to it…

it’s more a matter of degree.
17 PSI vs well over 10,000 PSI before it does something new (compresses into a liquid)
so perhaps not incompressible, just really hard to compress fully :wink:

Edit: If I’m reading this phase diagram correctly,
at rm temp the vapor pressure of nitrogen is ~22,000 bar.

Which the all knowing one says is 320,000 PSI…

ie it acts a WHOLE lot different from butane, which was really my point.

5 Likes

Yes, the refrigeration industry considers air and nitrogen to be “incompressible” gases. For the purpose of using an LP gas vacuum compressor (i.e. any recovery pump used to compress butanes or propane back into a solvent storage vessel), air and nitrogen should be considered “incompressible”… mainly because they do not liquefy at the pressures produced by those pumps, and certainly not without a hell of a lot of cooling.

8 Likes

or try this one.

I can put 20liters of butane gas at rm temp into a 1l container, and the pressure will be ~17PSI
put 20liters of N2 in a 1l container => 20 atmosphere == 300PSI

it will go…just not without a fight :wink:

Question: I’m currently running a jacked 100 pound solvent tank with a internal coil when using n2 to push the cold solvent am I suppose to release the n2 head space in the tank? The psi on the tank when warm sits around 80 psi.

1 Like

Picture

Have your tank vapor and liquid lines setup similar to this. The valve pointing off to the right, is where I add and remove nitrogen. Upon removal (my tank is always set to -75/80), I’ll vent it to nearly zero, then apply vac to remove the rest of the nitrogen and get my tank to negative pressure.

9 Likes

And run vapor to bottom of your mol sieve. And out the top to the pumps/tank. Is your tank chilled?

4 Likes

Will do thanks @Dred_pirate

1 Like

@Dred_pirate I do have the ability to chill my tank but this last run I tried an in-line coil In between my solvent tank and columns and use the natural tank pressure to push any suggestions?

1 Like