New Mushroom Lab in Oregon

Only give single batch. Which was why “large batch” was used.

@TXisbest

That may or may not be a valid assumption. It appears false in the case of thca in cannabis iirc.

You test it. Absolutely. Now that you can!!

Bioassay should get you to +/- 50% or better.

:shushing_face:

4 Likes

Is anyone doing homogeneity tests for edibles/micro’s?

1 Like

ethanol tincture is still unstable ime

3 Likes

How do you prevent your capsules from melting? Been trying hard to figure out a way without adding beeswax, cocao butter, or powdered substrate, but have had little success. They always melt and stick together. Tried many brands and obviously not using vegan ones.

Have you tried using more water and less ethanol to extract? I know it sounds counter intuitive polarity-wise, but I have experienced far less degradation and variation across time/batches, without noticeable loss of potency.

We can do this at Flourish Labs. It just costs more to have multiple runs of the same edible.

Cheers!
Sensi

Thank you for clarifying questions that were asked about my post!

Cheers,
Sensi

This is why it’s important to make a large batch and store properly…or send samples to Flourish Labs and we’ll test as many batches/lots as you want! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,
Sensi

1 Like

One of the main differences between an analytical labs extraction and extraction for producing products is in the analytical setting we dont need to worry much about long term stability as the tests are run within a couple of hours at most after extraction. And once innthe light protected HPLC vial and stored at 4C they are definitely stable for at least a couple of days

So apologies about offering up information with regard to large scale extraction and stability.

If anyone wants to do a longitudinal study on their extracts Flourish can help with that as well.

Cheers,
Sensi

I dropped off 5 samples to Flourish

2 chocolate bars. One a friend made and one someone sold me about a year ago that I bet is RC

3, 2 gram samples of Thrasher PE (ITWs Iso). One of the cap, one of the fat neck thing they get and one of a mini shroom containing cap and stem.

Will share results when I get them

My next step is to powderize a few lbs and mix it as Cyclopath suggested (nice and simple) Then I will test 3 different 2g samples from different areas of the batch and share those as well. See if there is any variance throughout a powdered batch

Any suggestions on something to grind them down to powder? I use a ninja blender right now that works great but I was looking at grain mills too on Amazon

6 Likes

I’ve had good luck getting a fine powder with a Jawz Blender . It’s obnoxiously powerful.

1 Like

I’ve always used an oster and the right size canning jar.

I’ve also lyophilized (freeze dried) first for best results (at that point you can pretty much powderize in the baggy) rather than simply air drying or using a forced air dehydrator.

at scale, a mill will be a better solution than a blender.

4 Likes

Stability of Psilocybin and Analogs.pdf (930.5 KB)

This paper is pretty informative but I can confirm that freeze drying isn’t the way. Even at moderate temps like -10 C it will certainly completely dephosphorylate psilocybin to psilocin. Using an off the shelf dehydrator preserves the psilocybin almost completely.

As far as homogeneity, if you powderize it’s helpful to sieve it to a uniform size and then mix otherwise there will still be higher concentration pockets and settling.

I prefer extraction to have large lots with an ensured homogenous potency, but I agree drying and grinding to a powder is very simple and effective for home use that is in a timely fashion. For storage though, extraction is far better because the enzymes will degrade even dry biomass. I have independently verified that this paper is pretty accurate from samples I’ve tested: about 50% loss after a month.

7 Likes

:arrow_up: is another reason Im skeptical about the results from the psilocybin cup. They’ve advertising sample collections for months and the tests don’t occur until the competition…

4 Likes

Wow!

Not how that USUALLY works.

I’d like to see that repeated, and can’t think of any good reason it should be true unless these molecules are part of a “dormancy through times without water” strategy.

12 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought. It is completely counterintuitive to me but after testing it and test other peoples freeze dried vs air dried on the same batch I can confirm it’s true. I have no idea why this happens but it does.

7 Likes

The cup was all sorts of sketchy…the magic myco fam didn’t even make the tw2 isolate/culture that won. It was an enigma culture that was gifted to him.

1 Like

How’d it go?

1 Like

Possible the chitin and other polymers in the mushroom cell walls makes a better barrier to atmosphere when air dried at room temp than when freeze dried?

Seeing as the cell wall polymers are hydrated to begin with, maybe a small amount of water at room temp is helping to keep the polymer gelled/swollen and thus provides a better barrier. Possibly freezing after dried interrupts this gelling? Likewise maybe freeze drying removes too much water?

These are all hypotheses though.

2 Likes

Yep, all decent hypotheses.

Freezing ruptures membranes…allowing O2

is probably the best fit.

4 Likes