new California butane sale laws??

Takes 20min to tap in 22lbs with that part I built.
Use a 12ton press from harbor freight to crush the cans Into a block. Puncture cans before pressing.

5 Likes

Cut out a home depot water jug fill with dry ice. line it with trash bag to preserve dry ice

5 Likes

My buddy runs the extraction side of a hydro shop and they have weekly tank drop offs of probably 100 tanks or so. So he would be in the loop. He hasn’t heard anything about this. So I bet yes it is a law that goes into effect, but there will be no one to actually enforce it or do anything about it…hopefully. Haha or else I’m about to buy a few pallets

2 Likes

Just my two cents, being an ac guy, there is a four part test to get a DOT lic, for refrigerants, and that is all you need to purchase refrigerants and transport them.
Most refrigeration supply houses carry all three propane, butane, and iso- butane, but no pre mixed, when I took test, it was a 100.00 or so, and it’s good for life. Refrigeration supply house in your area can probably give info on when courses are.

30 Likes

Best first post ever :raised_hands:

I think this should be mandatory for anyone to operate an extractor

6 Likes

Do they carry without the ordorant?

We had a few shipments of instrument grade, “non-odorized” butane from Air Gas contaminated mercaptan a few months back. We were able to de-odorized it using a column packed full of activated carbon. Make sure your carbon is dry or have a column pack with molecular sieve beads to remove moisture from the carbon before recovering your solvent.

Also the mercaptans leave your steel smelling like ass after distilling. A bleach solution can be used to get rid of the smell!

3 Likes

I have never heard of a refrigerant having an oderant in it, propane and butane are refrigeration. Refrigerants, even the guys washing meth with r-11 and r-12, never heard of an oderant, check out RSD, or United Refrigeration, most of the stuff I see on eBay and other places is from China, like you should trust that stuff, I think with the lic you will pay more. Never seen them put anything into refrigerants, other than the auto industry.

1 Like

Like the hemp farm tax that helped outlaw hemp way back.when. FUNNY THOUGH cause when the government wants something or needs something they’ll do anything and anything to get it. PRIME EXAMPLE : The USA American Government called upon the United States American Farmer to grow hemp for their NAVY WARSHIPS. Jack Herer obtained a copy of the black and white footage which was originally on a reel of tape. The American United States Government destroyed all the copies of this footage.

It was titled “Hemp For Victory”.

Shortly after the American United States Farmer was unable to grow hemp.

In fact if you visit old ironsides and ask about the original sail they used they’ll defend to death that it was not hemp.

2 Likes

I’ve been in the gas business for a couple decades and am currently selling these extraction hydrocabons. It is difficult if not downright impossible to get odorants out of these gases. Propane, and tanes are all readily available without the stink in them. Why deal with the issue when alternatives are available??

I wrapped my cooler in R15 insulation with a R10 foam base on it. Insulation of my DI slurry containing vessel proved to get much more life out of the dry ice…but I’m a cheap fucker.

1 Like

Well, fortunately, anecdotal experience ain’t the same as facts.

Fact: hydrocarbon canisters are typically supplemented with sulfur containing compounds for consumer use.

Edit: Go buy some propane for a grill and give it a whiff if you don’t believe me

1 Like

yes. Slyhighler did all that "mystery oil testing. I still have all his hand written testing results.

6 Likes

My thing is who is gonna enforce this new law yea air gas and praxair are gonna. Abide by it but u called. Few mom n pops stores n they had no idea what new law I was talking about. And my second thought was it could be just like illegal pesticide yea I can’t by pylon or p-load in the stores but I can buy it online and have it ship to me… So I wonder if I buy it from a vendor out of state will probably still mail it to you. The o ly reason I pounder this is cuz I’m on the fence about ordering two 110lbs tanks to be stocked up… Just a thought tho…

2 Likes

Your trippin.
Even the small shops have suppliers. You know which tend to be large business’s that comply with the law.
The suppliers are the ones who are going to enforce it.
They’re business is sell gas. They can’t risk getting shut down.
Xtractor depot on the other hand wouldn’t care since that’s not their full biz. But I promise their supplier will

3 Likes

By the way it made it into the controlled substance act.
So anybody that controls that is who is going to enforce it. Ie 3 letter agencies.

3 Likes

So clean up camping gaz
NAOH
Hydrogen peroxide 30%
X13 sieves

1 Like

Good to hear you are still around hope all is well :fist_left:

2 Likes

So from my understanding you can use a 13x sieve to remove the “sulfer” smell from propane you buy for your grill?

Search for gas sweatning all answers are there
But x13. NAOh and H2O2 (30%) get it Spick and span

4 Likes