new California butane sale laws??

I’m sure a lot of you have heard about the new law in California passing on July 1st this year pertaining to the sale of gas to unlicensed facilities.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB3112

It states that the only sale of gas to customers without licenses will have to contain mercaptans or some type of similar odor. Anyone have any intel on wether or not this is really passing or not??

Sounds like there’s gonna be Butane Bootleggers! Haha.

I can see guys bringing it down from Oregon for profit.

14 Likes

ya, or a couple of the norcal gas companies setting up shop in so. Oregon, sounds like its bound to happen. my question is what else other than mercaptans can pass as an “odor”? maybe something you just distill out… they’re definitely attempting to shut people down with this one

2 Likes

Or back to the lighter fluid cans
Europes way for now
Man i miss @SkyHighLer

3 Likes

Except I hear those cans generally have some sort of awful black goo in them. Not sure if its every brand or not.

@Soxhlet Is it possible to distill the odorants out of butane?

1 Like

Yep mystery oil
@SkyHighLer is the Legend that Paved the way on this subject

6 Likes

Last 5 History Actions
Date Action
09/20/18 Chaptered by Secretary of State - Chapter 595, Statutes of 2018.
09/20/18 Approved by the Governor.
09/07/18 Enrolled and presented to the Governor at 2:30 p.m.
08/29/18 Senate amendments concurred in. To Engrossing and Enrolling. (Ayes 79. Noes 0. Page 6864.).
08/29/18 Action rescinded whereby the Assembly concurred in Senate amendments.

I’d say it’s definitely gonna happen. No one is voting against it really.

1 Like

Or az…

Hit me up

10 Likes

13x zeolite pellets are used in the petrol industry to remove sulfur containing compounds like the ethyl mercaptans found in propane gas.

12 Likes

I’ve seen (smelled) it done. using copper wool. and recirculation. warm.

it’s @Photon_noir you needed to page in :wink:

5 Likes

Fair enough, I thought between his legitimate and potentially non-legitimate affairs that he may have had experience trying to do it.

I was pretty sure it was a non-recoverable error. the wizard showed me otherwise.

@Soxhlet may well have that info too.

We all do now :wink:

1 Like

Do you have a source in AZ for isobutane?

1 Like

I have a couple, actually. They both come from the same source.

1 Like

Sure you can remove mystery oil, but not merceptans (spelling) as easily

They’re quite easy to remove.

1 Like

I know thats why i am still stuck with filling tanks with lighter gas cans :confounded:
But once done iT Goes a long way

1 Like

The 13X molecular sieve will adsorb a lot of crap, for sure. It also sucks up some cannabinoids, so beware. If you need remediation of resin:alkane solution that contains LP gas odorants (thiols and mercaptans), use clean un-coated copper mesh used in spirits distillation columns. It actually helps to have a little bit of water present, which naturally occurs using butane to extract (even dried) plant matter, so you don’t normally need to add any… but if you do, it’s really just a drop or less per liter of alkane:resin solution.

9 Likes

see above & below your comment for mercaptan removal…

See @SkyHighLer for mystery oil.

4 Likes