Need some help on building my extractor

So hypothetically if I bought that and I already have a vacuum chamber and a vacuum pump and Büchner funnel setup for filtration what else would I need besides butane to fill the resevoir and filter media?

This system can’t be vacuumed?whats the big Nono about it I thought this system is designed to recover most of the tane before opening up (assuming it’s a fire hazard nono

I’m curious because this thing is priced right at my max investment amount that I’m looking to start with

1 Like

No. That’s one a negative on that system.

Gunna say this again. Just get a closed column (so you can recycle parts later WHEN you decide to upgrade) Or a basic cls from @Killa12345

1 Like

The one on eBay is a new version of what I owed. That one looks like you can vacuum but the one I owed didn’t allow that.

I’m not 100% sure looking at the picture but the one I’ve personally owed didn’t have it

You can use the collection pot to purge, just hook up a BVV lid and a pump to it.

@Killa12345 what system is pupparoo refrencing for cheaper money would it be cheaper than that ebay listing I found or is it cheaper than what these go for brand new?

The drawback would be it is slower, the benifits is it is a FULLY CLOSED system. And you are saving $$ on cans

It’s harder to get clear shatter like product with the tamisium compared to a closed Collum tube that you can add a dry ice sleeve to

At $350 that’s an absolute steal. You can use it for a year, and flip it on Craigslist for double that. I’d buy it just to flip if I didn’t have so many things going on

Now that I think of it I actually sold my small tamisium to some guys in Washington, that could be my old one!

1 Like

Why spend the money on a steel tube when you can achieve the same results with a $50 glass tube, coffee filters, rubber bands and a couple pyrex dishes? If you want diamonds or htfse, just open blast into a jar on dry ice. You will achieve a “single solvent winterization” (as the fancy chemists like to say) and can then pour it through a coffee filter or two into another mason jar. Then proceed as you see fit.

You are possibly running a higher risk (legally) by having stainless steel extraction equipment than you would be with a glass tube.

I would study the process of passive closed loop extractions and why extractions under vacuum are beneficial and risky, then I would study active closed loop systems.

You will have more fun building closed systems anyway

1 Like

I think one of the main safety benefits of having a closed column is while you are filling up the tube with gas there is no leakage, you close it off to soak for a few mins, after soaking you open up the bottom and walk away.

As opposed to being exposed the entire time you are unloading the cans into the glass tube.
I have built a set it and forget it style system with a glass tube, a few record shelves, clamps and a weight too it’s not that difficult if you have some wood and common sense

Although running a closed column or glass tube would give the instant gratification and cool factor, the smart move would be to buy the $350 eBay tamisium to learn the ropes without needlessly creating a dangerous situation. To each their own though I guess

1 Like

Only downfall to a cls and running 1-2oz at time is it cost more to crank the rig up than the oil is gonna be worth.

If I was only blasting 1-2 oz at time I’d do closed column and utilize dry ice ,vacuum pump, and temp to move the solvent and dont recover bc itll cost u more than the run is worth imo.

A cls is when ur running a half lb that’s the smallest I’d go bc it’s just not worth

4 Likes

I’ve done a dozen runs and only lost less than a can worth of butane with the 2oz tamisium, only costs were time and effort.
Which is quite a lot, but at a hobbyist or personal use level it’s a fine price to pay for peace of mind.

Really were talking about like 3.5g-10g oil per run. Not too much hah

There’s no additional safety benefit to a closed column that is then released into atmosphere after solvent soak. You would be releasing the same amount of solvent, but in a concentrated span of time.

I’d even say you are at higher risk with a closed column open-blast system than you would be with a glass tube because operators may be prone to set it and forget it.

But If you are talking about a passive closed loop system, then i agree 100% that it is safer

1 Like

Cheaper than brand new.

Make a sleeve out of a bit of drain pipe it only needs to hold ice nothin fancy works a treat for me

Dang I almost had it for $200, he woulda took $250 shipped for the lil tamisium. Always negotiate :wink:

1 Like

I took it for 250 lol he told me he had gotten an offer and if I wanted it to respond before someone else takes it

4 Likes

Either way with the case and assembly that’s about 1/5 of MSRP . Thats a fun little beginner extractor and it’s very safe most importantly. Good choice

2 Likes

That’s my thing I wanted something that was safe and preferably a little stupid proof just in case since I’m a beginner

Now I’ve got my extractor figured out I’ve got a Büchner funnel system and flasks to filter into I’ve got filter papers for it I have my vacuum chamber with a heat pad and controller and pump for purging

Anything I’m missing that I’m guna need besides filter media?

Get a set of extra gaskets directly from tamisium, wait until you receive the extractor though to make sure there’s nothing wrong with it and you can use it.
They can be a point of resistance you want to make sure they are nice and new and working properly when getting a system up and running

Use a little olive oil on a paper towel like every other run to keep the gaskets nice. (Anybody correct me if I’m wrong)