Need some help on building my extractor

So for the ball valve in between the filter plate and filter spool that’s good? That’s not Guna mess with anything?

What are your thoughts on the vacuum assist idea I had would that work for going through the filter media or do you think I would be forced to boost it with nitrogen gas? And just blast it right into the Pyrex dish?

Also regular coffee filters or unbleached? I’m thinking unbleached is safer

@Soxhlet how would I put the pressure relief valve into the system where would it go?

The top of the system has a flare fitting btw I’m assuming it’s put under vacuum so you can blast as much butane into the chamber as possible correct?

Also where would I find the proper relief valve im seeing ones that attach via tri clamp but should I go for one that’s npt and adjustable?

Hi, it shouldn’t as long as you vacuum down the entire column before running it.

It won’t work, it will boil your solvent away. In addition an a vacuum pump running on an active system would be a fireball.

this would be the safest. Another option is using warm solvent vapor, but you would need a tank to perform that.

both will work, I prefer the unbleached myself.

1 Like

run a tee where you have the pressure gauge so you can run the pressure relief valve in the same location as your pressure gauge. Use a hard seat pressure relief valve like this.

https://www.grainger.com/product/15X846?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvMernO2u6QIVfj6tBh0f6gYlEAQYASABEgLXh_D_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIvMernO2u6QIVfj6tBh0f6gYlEAQYASABEgLXh_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275795!!!g!500456302764!

2 Likes

The one you linked says it has a preset pressure at 250psi what pressure should it be? Am I really going to get high enough for that valve to go off or should I find one at a lower pressure but same idea

Or is it more for me to manually adjust pressure in the extractor after I’m done blasting the butane in?

You should have a dry ice sleeve on there. Would make a world of difference in end product quality

@shattertramp do they make a 1.5 Tri Clamp dry ice sleeve I couldn’t find one so I was thinking if anything I could make an outer sleeve and weld it to the 1.5 column if I needed it

1 Like

Some people actually freeze the whole tube packed with materials beforehand. Might be a little easier since it’s so small and you wouldn’t have to be welding. Remember if the tube is colder than the cans your going to see the tane run into there much quicker. Consider a warm washcloth around the can. (Anybody feel free to correct me on that one)

Have you checked out the tamisium extractor? I’m sure they are outdated at this point you could probably score one for a thousand bucks or so. 2-4 Oz would be the perfect run size, fully closed unit, fits In a little backpack. Had one like 8 yrs ago
Look at this adorable little guy

Keep in mind what you are paying extra for is your safety.

I wouldn’t pay that much for that system. There are way better options for less.

1 Like

Yes they are outdated/overpriced. But safe

1 Like

You can get one of @Killa12345 basic set ups for that price (maybe even less)

Note: After checking, you can get one of killas for cheaper

1 Like

with the tami it’s a complete system for 1,350. to some that’s definelty too much for just 2oz runs, the product can be bleh too.
Trade offs, all depending on what people are looking for. definitely safer though any way you look at it

1 Like

@shattertramp I found a listing for a used kit does it look like everything is there for this kit?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F402255072269

What’s the real drawback of this system compared to what my initial plan was before to build my way up to a cls over time what can I add to this system? These are all things I’d like to know before I make the jump on it

It does look cheaper for that price for a cls

1 Like

@Soxhlet what’s your thoughts on this kit ^^^

Hi,
Tamisium extractors have been around for quite some time now, the small ones like that work well for the hobbyist.

Some, but not too much. If you want to get into a larger cls you might want to get another setup.

1 Like

@Soxhlet how much plant material do you think would be the minimum for this specific unit and are you familiar with it does it look like everything I need is there?

I won’t be doing more than 2 ounces on a regular run unless I start using nugs and I’m doing it solely for personal use
No reason to really make it larger just was wondering what might be able to get added

looks complete. The machine holds 2oz, although you may find you can put more weight into the column with denser material aka buds vs trim.

I started extracting with a tamisium back in 2011 or something. Sold it after a year. Worked really good while I had it but had no way to purge the oil

The non vacuum thing would really scare me today as there is no way to vacuum the system. Your introducing butane to atmosphere which I know now is a no no

2 Likes