Need help mixing terps in distillate

Hello having trouble with introducing terpenes back to my distillate the color and consistency changes and help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Post pics so we can understand the problem more

I’d start by using a homogenizer. Also make sure your distillate hasn’t had much oxidation before mixing because when you mix any distillate it will oxidate a little bit.

Microwave distillate for 1:30-3 minutes depending on volume

Start homogenizing before you add your terps at a low RPM. Then add your terps to your distillate and after you do increase the speed of the homogenizer.

Pull your homogenizer out of the jar. Then dump your mixture into a cart farmer or filler of choice.

But I will say other variables do matter. Quality of distillate, d8 or d9??, botanical terps? Canna terps? Etc

1 Like

As mentioned, disty should be preheated. I use an oven @90C. Terps brought to room temp.

Turn on your overhead mixer or homogenizer and pour the terps into the vortex. Allow to mix to homogenize. You’re done.

This is what I do:

I like to use an overhead mixer. I place the blade low initially before adding terps. Pour the terps on top and they will form a distinct layer. Now ease the rotating mixer blade up until the layers mix. Raise it just until you get a vortex and leave it in until homogenous.

1 Like

Try again, but do it better this time.

1 Like

That’s what it’s supposed to do! Terps will change the color of your distillate depending on the kind you use. Different terpenes from even the same supplier have this effect and can make it more yellow/gold/orange, and also depends on the color of your disty. As for consistency change, terps will do that too. Distillate on it’s own is too thick to properly vape in a cart, it will cause air bubbles to form around the intake holes and will cause burnt coils, and wont rip very well before that happens. Terps will make your distillate more runny and less firm, to the point where it can be a bit goopy at room temp. If you poke disty at room temp it may bounce off or slowly sink in requiring pressure from you pushing down. Terped disty is able to be scooped and may even slide off a tool if you set it down. Terps arent just for flavor, they act as a solvent that changes the consistency of an extracts. Think of how the consistency of high terpene sauce, compared to regular extracts. it also takes a about an hour if not longer for hot distillate to get back to room temp, and even just being a little warm will make it seem like it’s not as viscous as it actually is. You may be using too many terps, try to stick around 5%. Much more than that will cause the flavor to be overwhelmingly strong. And too many terps around 10% will cause the oil to thin out so much it can potentially leak out of the bottom of a cart. Also, make sure you get the disty hot BEFORE you add the terps, dont get it toooo hot when the terps are added so they dont get degraded, and keep that shit sealed in a jar. If you dont they’ll evaporate out and will not carry the same flavor.

2 Likes

I get that we need to keep it sealed after the terps are in the disty evenly

But what about when you are just adding them terps and homogenizing with a overhead stirrer you cant close the jar up while mixing

Should i put aluminum foil or make a hole in the lid of mixing vessel to stick the homogenizer/overhead stirrer probe through and have it spin through the the semi-sealed mixing vessel top?

Also one more thing what about disty storage in the big jars :jar: someone said to fill it with argon gas or vacuum sealing it

I know best practice is to use up everything when its as fresh as possible

But is the air in the jar that big of a deal with distillate how long can i get away with jusy hand tighening a disty jar before adverse effects?

Thanks boss

Depends on the purity of your “distillate”.

Here is one discussion: Distillate at home storage, preventing oxidation? Using water in the headspace of jars?

Here is another Red Ring of Death

Argon is easy. A vac pump isn’t terribly expensive.

3 Likes

I like using a bead bath @70c to warm the distillate. Supposedly if the distillate has been vac sealed and purged of oxygen by use of an inert gas you can leave it for weeks and it won’t oxidize at that temp.

I then use a terpene calculator online cuz sometimes my math is ass

I put the distillate and terpenes in an appropriate sized and shaped beaker and put on a hot plate at 70-80c and use my homogenizer to mix it all up in about a half a minute or so for half a liter.

This has been the best method for me and I’ve used hot plates to mix before and microwaves and more hot plates to heat the distillate and used eBay over head stirrers.

1 Like

Try heating up you oil so it is nice and liquid, then use one of those fish tank stones to bubble oxygen through the oil while putting it under the sun or UV lights. Once your oil is brown, it won’t change color on you.

1 Like

1 - Preheat dirty
2 - flash terps with 90C as well, “until you see small vapors form”
3 - rough (shake) mix in a sealed vessel, if you’re going straight to carts - homogenize - decant into a heated pumping vessel and put a lid on it (rush), if you’re storing - wait until solution hits 80-85C and then homogenize - place solution into vessel with ptfe lined on bottom 1/2 of threading, insert argon fill line into the bottom layer of air meniscus, blast argon continuously for a few seconds - seal and let cool in a ziplock for extra peace of mind xD

is it going alien-piss purple or RROD?

1 Like

Neither, i sometimes overthink for the right reasons. I didnt get the memo