Distillate at home storage, preventing oxidation? Using water in the headspace of jars?

An old Texas trick to keeping cut up avacado and guacamole from oxidizing is to layer the top with water to keep it from getting exposed to air. Would this work with storing distillate at home?

3 Likes

Just use nitrogen and vac seal

5 Likes

Yes I’m aware of using n2 and vacuum that’s not what I’m asking.

I realize that and what your asking doesn’t seem to be the way.
So you want to put a layer of water on top of your disty?
That sounds like a bad idea. We tend to keep moisture away from our oils. Unless there’s something to this question I’m missing…

4 Likes

CBD and THC are hydrophobic so its not like you will be creating a water/oil solution or have any mixing going on.

exactly, i am wondering if a few mm of water on top will keep it from reacting with atmosphere.

I ain’t no scientist, but since water has an oxygen atom in it, I assume it would still oxidize whatever is underneath. Interesting idea, though.

9 Likes

In California we test for mold too

5 Likes

I would not do that. If you are worried buy a $40 wine saver kit and squirt argon on top. Good distillate will not change much anyway. Color is aesthetic and as long as it is stored cool and dark degradation is minimal.

7 Likes

the one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms are connected by covalent bonds. this bond is not broken easily which is why water is used to shield avocado from oxygen to keep the fats from oxidizing.

4 Likes

shouldnt cause any mold but i typically keep my distillate cold. pop it in the fridge like you would any other food material you wish to preserve

Well then have at it and let us know how it goes for you. I would just put a spurt of inert gas in it. Seems like a way safer bet

1 Like

thanks but id prefer to keep the discussion centered around why distilled water wouldnt work here. Im aware of the many other ways to store distillate under vacuum and using a blanket gas. none of which are anywhere near as convenient as possibly using a splash of distilled water on top and throwing in the fridge.

“good distillate will not change much anyways” thats quite a statement and from my experience the “best” or clearest distillate is the stuff that oxidizes and turns color the fastest! Unless you mean “good distillate” as in still full of plant waxes and such that will help preserve it…

2 Likes

I agree the more refined the distillate the easier it degrades. The more wax I leave in my oil the more antioxidants it appears to have

6 Likes

You think helium would work. Got some left from a kids party. I belive helium is an inert gas. Ill have to google it

1 Like

How fast will these inert gases leak out?

2 Likes

Ill let you know , i just googled it and it is inert
Im sure it would be rather quick. Ill give it a try since i alreay have it

They have a thing called a helium leak test so I’m sure that helium would leak faster lol

3 Likes

How about something heavier, like argon?

2 Likes

use n2 or argon to backfill your container

2 Likes

I’m sorry. Put water on it, it should work fine. I took the time to respond to you and that was your response.

1 Like