Need help identifying mystery deposit in roto

So I left a second cold wash on the roto for a day or so under vac and came back to mineral deposits on the top half of the bf and a bunch of sediment on the bottom. Normally when I’ve seen the mineral deposit I’ve assumed it was silica that dissolved and stayed behind when the etho evaporated.

But this time I hadn’t used silica, so I thought maybe it was thca that had crashed out. We were discussing it in

But after having come to the conclusion that it looks like thca crashing out I decided to taste it. Might have been a bad move cause my tongue has a burning sensation now. It felt slighty waxy and tasted like cannabis. Something is precipitating out of the etho as it is clear as day going in the roto. No sediment or powders.

This is my op.

Second wash 5 gal after an initial 3 min soak for 7 min at -20c. First filter 6 micron. Took 50ml etho and heated to 50c and put 4g degumming enzyme in. Half of that went into the second wash. Put 15g bento in an shake. Winterize for 24 hours.

Filter through 6 micron.

Filter through 100g t5, 100g celite 545, 50g t41, 60g hardwood carbon and 100g alumina with 2-3 micron filter.

Third filter through 0.5 micron and into roto.

This is what I’m dealing with now after I poured it out of the bf.

In the bf.

Top half of bf

Worrying deposit further up the line in roto

Now I used acetone to get the stuff out from the bf that was stuck to the walls. This is what it looks like in a pyrex.

Lastly, I couldn’t get everything out, but it didn’t really dissolve in acetone, did slighty in etho. But when I on a whim poured water in it took on a waxy consistency and then dissolved.

I’m confused to what is going on. It might be thca, but it doesn’t feel like crystals and dissolves between your fingers. I’m wondering if the degum enzyme somehow made it through to the roto since I didn’t do the brine wash step cause i only had heptane available and this is going to be diamonds/crystals so I didn’t want to heat the roto over 35c to preserve terps. But there is way more sediment that then th enzyme I used.

Maybe flavones or polar terpenes, did it have any smell?

I didn’t smell it honestly. There was still etho in the solution I poured out so I’m uncertain any smell would have made it through. The waxy consistency is what’s throwing me off. And before I rotod everything out I first tried pouring all the etho out to separate what I thought was crystals, but it ended up floating around in the etho being unable to separate, thus I rotod out as much as I could a left some etho in to get most out of there.

Disty and decarb diamonds give a tingle on my gums like dip

So maybe it’s THCa? Thc seems to do this

2 Likes

So I might just be paranoid with the “burning”/ tingling and it’s actually crystallizing? That would be sweet.

Yeah, the issue is that the deposits have occurred before and since it dissolves in water it’s confusing me further.

But yeah maybe it is thc. It did taste like it. When this has happened previously I’ve just refiltered and the deposits went away. But that was when I ran it through the spd after. Now that I’m trying to shatter, sugar, sauce and diamonds I really want it clean.

Edit: Wait? Decarbed diamonds? Thc? I thought you needed thca to crystallize and but cbd over CBDa. What decarbed diamonds are you referring to?

1 Like

I decarb diamonds once for carts, had a mess salavge by rubbing over gums…

Tried later w disty did same thing. Was just an observation.

Had nothing to do w your topic other than thc tingles the gums/tounge to me

3 Likes

Well, I’m really hoping this is thca crashing. I poured the etho into a jar and put a lid on it, if it keeps growing we’ll know. I’m also letting the acetone in the pyrex dissolve to see what happens. Your answer definitely has to do with this though, homie. Cause the tingling is why I started the post.

You mentioned decarbing diamonds, which I thought wasn’t possible, that’s why I asked. I’ve been so stuck on just making disty that the other types of concentrate is somewhat of a mystery to me,lol.

This is what’s left. Definitely looks and feels like cannabinoids.

This is what started the paranoia.

It’s so high up that it looks like it got carried up in the vapor phase but dropped off and stayed on the walls. This is really what I’m wondering about.

When you’re bumping in the roto are you decompressing the bubbles by releasing vacuum?

I’ve not had bumping happen in a while. So I never have to deal with that anymore.

Decarbed diamonds? That’s just melting them and holding at 212_230f for couple hrs until it stops bubbling

Are you introducing any outside air into it during your run? Other than break down of course. If not, are you filtering anything before you put it in there? Does these crystals dissolve in solvent when heated?

Probably some aren’t going to get the dip reference. Dip is chewing tobacco or snuff placed between the cheek and gum. Gives a little tingle at first especially some of the wintergreen, cinnamon, and mint flavored ones.

1 Like

Hell you might have just discovered a new method of administration.

1 Like

Everything is pretty much outlined in here already. I specify exactly what I did in the op.

I haven’t heated it up, but it dissolves on direct contact without heat and feels sticky.

I never introduce any air until I’m removing the bf.

I have them in a pyrex on the vac oven at 95f and in a jar in etho at not under vac just in room temp atm. So I’ll know better tomorrow. Also this doesn’t appear on the bf until it’s ran dry for a minute.

And it dissolves in water which is the real humdinger here.

1 Like

But do they return to diamonds after that? I thought it needed to be thca otherwise it ends up the same viscosity as disty. I have never dealt with them before, so I really have no idea about this atm. Lol.

Well, once I figure out what I’m dealing with maybe I have.

I have had this happen on multiple occasions. It only happens when I use the Carbon A from SR and I cannot figure out the reason as to why. Kind of looks like ash sometime but almost identical the pictures you posted above. We filter through a .45 micron glass paper and that does the trick. I thought it was silica as well, but when I removed that step we still had the particulate present.

Ours also dissolves in water as well. Quite the problem and unfortunately I do not have any answer, but you are not alone.

2 Likes

It looks like foul/scaling that’s why i asked. Silicate will cause this with water. You sure everything was cleaned spotless after powder use?

Fouling - Wikipedia

Did you ever figure out what it is? I filtered it through 0.5 micron and that same 0.5 micron would then remove it after another filtering aswell. So this is dissolved in the etho, which is why im thinking it must be cannabinoids.