Need help identifying mystery deposit in roto

Well that’s exactly what i thought in the beginning too. But I haven’t used silica anywhere in a while. I guess i need to clean everything better. Again, it goes away after a second filtering, so I don’t know why it appears sometimes and sometimes not. It’s not making sense.

It’s sugars, salts and proteins. That’s why it’s water soluable, first give away was acetone didnt phase it. But water sis. Direct msg for easy solution.

11 Likes

Done and done. I am really hoping you are correct about this. I will jump with joy, lol.

I’m thinking I should use more t5 and that would remedy this fairly easy.

1 Like

No after it’s decarbed it’s a liquid,… I was intentionally doing this to make vape liquid

Sorry I completely threw you off, it was purely about thc tingling gums

1 Like

Looking like my celite 545 isn’t 545 and could be a possible culprite. Brine wash is what I should have done.

Lesson here, folks, is stick to your sop, faffing around trying new things will easily lead you astray. The brine wash is what I was gonna use to clean it up. I need to go to bed. I’ll revisit this later today.

4 Likes

Glad you seemed to figure out the cause!

which means it’s non-target.
also tells you it’s none of your powders.

doesn’t tell you wtf it is, or how to remove it.

3 Likes

It 100% tells you what it is and how to remove it.

If you want an SOP for removing this dm

Try melting the compound at 200f. If it charrs its sugar

2 Likes

Sorry to go off topic again everyone, but how did your diamond carts turn out? I want to try this as well.

Essentially, you separate the thca from the terps, decarb diamonds, readd terps, then dispense into carts while still warm right?

3 Likes

Really good but a waste of fine craft diamonds.

Disty for carts

Diamonds=$25-50 per g. 90something percent pure

Disty= $5-12 a g 90something percent pure

1 Like

Oh I definitely agree that it may not be the best option. But just want to tinker and don’t have constant disty access.

I would like being able to make a few carts each batch for on the go.

Ya sugars. @spdking is right if it dissolves in water its a dead giveaway

3 Likes

It’s not 100% determined yet. I’d love for others to chime in aswell, but it’s fairly likely it could be salts from the celite dissolving and then staying behind during evap. It doesn’t taste like salts though which is the main reason I’m not sure yet.

Edit: lol. The page hadn’t updated properly when I typed this, so I missed the other replies. But I’m thinking of running it through more t5 which (logically?) should remove water solubles.

When I showed Elliott my celite bag he pointed out that it looks like I got bait and switched on that bag cause it’s off white gray and it only says celite on it. So he said it likely has salts in it.

1 Like

I’m trying to avoid heating it up so it doesn’t decarb, cause that pretty much destroys any possibility of making any of the products I’m trying to make. I know 200 is just under. I might give it a try, but sugars should be removed by t5. Just woke up, so it will be a couple of hours before I get to this. But I’ll refilter and keep you posted.

1 Like

Since you have also noticed this, do you mind sharing what other media you use? Maybe we can find an overlapping occurrence to narrow it down?

Hey Renchi, sorry for the delayed response…was a long night. The only media we currently use is Carbon A and Silikate Pulver. When I use both Carbon A and Silica, I notice that I get varying degrees of the particulate showing up in roto flask as the solution become more condensed/concentrated. I originally thought that the silica was the issue as well, but after removing this variable I was still seeing a good amount of particulate crash out in solution on the rotovap. If I do not use any carbon, I have no issues whatsoever.

To me it seems to be the carbon. I have tried other carbons/charcoal powders as well with the same if not worse results in some cases. Occasionally it would turn the oil greenish and make pure oil very opaque to the point I could not recover it other than distillation.

We further performed a wash of the carbon itself with 190 proof Ethanol and had particulate crash out on the rotovap. Maybe test this out yourself and see if you can replicate the results I found.

Hope this helps you troubleshoot further. T5 will fix your issue however but still doesn’t explain whats occuring.

1 Like

Well, damn, this definitely adds to the mystery. Lol.

I took the day off cause I needed to just say fuck it. Been online the entire time, hahahaha.

I’ll see if I can run some tests. Gonna filter it later today. I’m trying to see what happens when having left it for a day without any vac. I’m glad I am my own boss and can say fuck 9-5. Work whenever you feel like it.

I want to see if I can get a clean sample to deal with.

1 Like

Sometimes you just need to reset! Enjoy the day and let me know what you find out. I would be interested to see if the results are similar.

One day I’ll be my own boss…hopefully at least haha

1 Like

I haven’t seen much charring of sugars until over 280 farenheit (140 c).
If I had to guess I’d go with your mystery deposit being sugars as if they were salts I’d expect them to be salty, but the taste could be covered by whatever other residue sticks to them. Salts won’t char but stuff that’s stuck to them will so before testing by trying to burn them make sure to wash thoroughly with solvent.

1 Like

Second this