Need gummy recipe (recipe inside)

Hate to shatter on your parade, but until shatter becomes a standard measurement, its a pointless definition of potency.

4 Likes

40mg of shatter. ‘of’. Pretty sure you understood that

40mg by weight does not equate to potency.

@cyclopath
@Soxhlet

And I’m sure others will say the same thing.

2 Likes

Exactly.

e.g. My dog generated 3700mg of steaming shat-er in that pic.

Right already an obvious fact. And obvious fact that shatter is stronger than flower nug. Right

if you know that, why do you say "40mg of… ? and then berate others in the biz for BS labeling?

you’re literally the definition of WTF BS labeling.

6 Likes

Those familiar with the art can probably work backwards and guess that “40mg” of shatter is delivering on the order of 28mg of THC.

That’s assuming it was decarbed, and not dewaxed. Starting at around 70% thc (calculated as 0.87 x THCA). which a quick peak on the shelves at the local ex$pensiary indicates is a reasonable approximation for “shatter”.

Is it a ”potency”? Nope. Is it a usable stand in? Meh. Doing the math and stating that it was a guesstimate would be my preference.

7 Likes

It’s weight is 40mg ‘of’ shatter. Knowing that shatter is stronger than flower. Here’s what I’m getting at. Many are cooking flower over a stove to extract thc or using magic butter machines. I’m saying that 40mg of shatter/wax weighs the same as 40mg of thc extracted like I just mentioned (stove or magical butter machine) but the potency level is different. How different it is, I don’t have a number on that. But it’s much more potent.

I get it. And I agree. That said, do yourself a favor, label your products per mg of thc. The general public buying 40mg potency of who-knows-what has no idea what’s in your product.

5 Likes

If you’re comparing 40mg of shatter to 40mg of thc (no matter how extracted), the 40mg of thc will contain more thc than the 40mg of shatter.

So that’s not what you were saying.

If you extract 40mg of prime bud at 25% thc you get 10mg thc. Compared to the 28mg from 40mg of “shatter”.

Were you using 10% trim, that would be 4mg.

knowing the difference in potency might be a stretch, but you can make a decent guess if you try…

4 Likes

Yeah 40mg of thc. Doesn’t say it’s grade A+ thc or C- thc quality. Again above I mentioned something that’s 25% content doesn’t mean it’s stronger than something else labeled 23% content. The 23% one could have grade A thc and the 25% one could have B- quality thc.

Right because the shatter is going to have non thc mass in the weight. I get that

Now you’ve lost me. You can grade the flowers, or the oil/wax/shatter/… but the thc is either thc or it it not.

6 Likes

Wrong. THC is THC. There are no ‘grades’ of THC

5 Likes

Really. Explain. So if you grow a plant and I grow a plant and we extract thc. Thc is just thc. There’s no difference in potency levels?? Def explain if you have the time

Please explain. Again if we each grew a plant and extracted thc. And I gad a gram of yours and you a gram of mine… It’s the same potency?? Is that really so.

Really. Explain. So if you grow a plant and I grow a plant and we extract thc. Thc is just thc. There’s no difference in potency levels?? Def explain if you have the time.

Exactly right.

One plant may be 25% THC and one may be 10% THC, so one is more potent than the other in plant form, yes.
But when you extract them, the oil made form 25% THC buds will 1. likely produce more oil and 2. the oil will be more potent than the 10% buds. (higher % of cannabinoids, not ‘better’ cannabinoids)

So the oil from the 25% buds is better because it contains more THC, not because the THC is ‘better.’

You could then take those oils and distill them. The more potent oil would make more distillate because there is more THC available. But the THC in the oil would not be ‘stronger’ than the THC from a less potent buds.
100mg of THC is 100mg of THC, regardless of where it came from. We consider some oils ‘better’ than others because they contain a higher % of cannabinoids, terpenes, etc., not because the cannabinoids themselves are better or worse.

Does that make sense? Seems kind of confusing when I read it back to myself lol.

EDIT: Basically, the buds and oils we consider ‘better’ than others just have more THC, CBD, CBN, terpenes, etc. in them. Not better THC, CBD, CBN, terpenes…

9 Likes

I’m defining “a gram of thc” as 1000mg of the purified molecule. Aka 99+% pure THC. So yes, they would be the same.

If your gram was 95% thc and mine was 92%, neither of us would have “a gram of thc”.

might your extract be more potent than mine? Yes. 95% thc is by definition higher potency (thc-wise) than 92%.

If we started from the exact same material, and mine was lower potency, it would be because I used more solvent or longer residence times, and we’d probably find I had more of the starting cannabinoids in my extract. Even though the potency was lower.

6 Likes

Yes. Interesting as well. I didn’t think because there was more of something, that it meant it was more potent