Need gummy recipe (recipe inside)

Sorry to rehash but i’m still confused, if mixing raw potassium sorbate in, is 1/2 tsp per gallon still the consensus? Has anyone used less with success (6+ months of no mold)?

Ideally want to be as safe to consume as possible, and would like to use least amount of PS I can while still keeping some level of reasonable shelf-life. Thank you for any help.

I use about 0.1g potassium sorbate per kilo of batch. Haven’t had them out for 6 months, usually eat them within 3-4, but they’ve held out in a jar at room temp so far for that long.

4 Likes

A big thanks to this thread for a successful 1st batch. I made 2 test batches before adding THC.

The question I have is to roughly calculate dosing - I have read a lot (maybe too much) but confirmation or correction would be appreciated

Background: - personal use, just getting started - but I am interested in making high-quality gummies.

Equipment: Ardent FX, Source Turbo, TCheck, Buchner Filtration, High-Quality Silicone molds

I am not doing enough quantity to get much more sophisticated than this. Who knows what the Future holds

Biomass - 21g THC (raw weight)
Tested 21.7% THC using TCheck (Orange Kush - Flower)
Flower)
Everclear for QWET process - freezer only
3x soak and filtered with same biomass, reduced in Source

By calculation
21g * 1000mg = 21,000mg Biomass
@21.7% = 21,000*.217=4,557mg THC Available
Process Efficiency 60% - 4,557 *.60 = 2,734mg
Process Efficiency 85% - 4,557 *.85 = 3,873mg

Using the TCheck:
I tested the reduced distillate combined and it was approximately 6mg/ml * 90ml = 540mg

I made 1 batch of gummies and weighed all final material = 720g

By TCheck testing that is .75mg/g
By Calculation, it could be 3.7 - 5.3 mg/g
By licking the spoon after making - TCheck values are way low!!! LOL

My personal experience, the TCheck is crap (I knew it might be) but I think it could be ok for measuring flower.

Based on the effects of the gummy I would estimate that 4mg/g seems to be correct. This would also say that I am about 65% effective in the QWET process. I was happy with the result, about a 30min time to kick in, good texture and taste, seems to be about 4mg/g or 10-12mg per 3.5ml mold cavity.

Does this dosing seem reasonable without testing? Since this is personal use and for friends, I just want to have a guide for dosing and I wanted to bounce this off people with more experience than myself.

Thanks

5 Likes

You’re never going to really know the exact dosage without knowing the potency of your starting materiel exactly as well. Just give people a rough range and tell em to be careful :smiley:

3 Likes

I tried this recipe and it worked well. The next time the customer requested 100 mg per gummy :joy:since I was adding a lot more distillate, I also used more MCT oil and infused prior to mixing into gummy mix at the final step. It appears one of the oils or both are spreading out because I can see a small goldish layer / bubbles. Mixing temp is just over 140F. Any ideas?

looks like you’ve got a decent handle on the math.

3x wash of the same biomass with enough ethanol to cover the biomass (~4l/kg) should give near complete extraction.

if you wanted to be conservative you might use 95% extraction efficiency, but you really should be approaching 99% with 3 washes.

how did you decarb?

while it is true that you “distilled” the ethanol off your concentrate, calling your concentrate “distillate” is incorrect. that moniker belongs to the portion of your boiling flask that was vaporized and re-condensed…which your concentrate did not do.

“distillate” around here is used specifically to refer to cannabinoid concentrates that have actually been moved from flask A to flask B via evaporation/condensation.

“solvent recovery” (or “removal” if blown to atmosphere rather than re-condensed) is the preferred description for the reduction you performed in your Source.

21g x 1000mg/g => 21,000mg biomass (units make the math…)
21000mg @21.7% THC => 4557mg of available THC (but 18% is probably a more reasonable potency unless you used all top shelf buds).

@18% THC, and 95% efficiency. I get 3591mg
with 3590mg in 720g you should be right at 5mg/g…but that isn’t the end point for dosage calculation.

you still need the weight of each gummy.

eg a 10g gummy puts you at 50mg/candy. a 2g gummy at 10mg. using molds so each gummy is approximately the same weight is important here. at least if you’re hoping for consistent dosing (I see you get that. pretend I wrote it for the next guy :wink: ).

I suspect your bioassay based “potency test” points to incomplete decarb rather than incomplete extraction…but the only way to really know would be to get them tested by someone with a GC or HPLC.

most folks have a fairly narrow range in which they find the experience enjoyable. 50% low and many won’t/will barely notice the effects. at 2x their preferred dose, many will NOT enjoy the ride.

this was data I deliberately gathered from my dedicated bioassay team once upon a time. my “preferred” dose used to be about 100mg, it seems to have dropped to ~75mg these days.

I’ve run into folks who can get wasted for 24+hrs on 0.1mg THC, even at 20:1 CBD/THC and others that 500mg THC doesn’t phase…

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply - a lot of good information here.

I use the Ardent FX

The new molds I have are 3.5ml and approximately 4g each. I have been weighing each batch once completed the data.

In my last batch, each 4g gummies had a calculated potency of 15mg.

So far have been only using top-shelf bud - it’s just what is mostly available.

on the input flower?
or the finished “oil”?

I’m not a huge fan of decarbing flower before extraction, although “bone dry” flower will extract less green at a given ethanol temp that “cured” flower will.

I personally wouldn’t trust the FX to get it right, but I’ve got no experience with the device.

I prefer to decarb my concentrate where I can observe (or at least monitor) the evolution of CO2…I’ve had BHO’s that took 6-7hrs to decarb at 100C (fresh frozen, operator didn’t understand their molsieves yet, probably had a fair amount of water in there), and have seen ethanol based crude that (apparently) took DAYS… (we never did figure out why).

I suspect your next move would to get a 3rd party test on them. @Killa12345 might bite…

Hey I’m melting down albanese gummy’s and making some gummy’s do I have to mix anything else in order to make sure it doesn’t mold ?

1 Like

Dude, trying to get some small scale edible production going. I am not sure how to PM here but feel free to reach out to me as I’m interesting in trying out your gummies and potentially licensing that recipe.

1 Like

Does anyone Use Certicoat 85 to coat their gummies, so the don’t stick together? If so how are you coating them? I just received a sample bottle and had some gummies i had just made so I applied by hand just a little bit but I feel that was too much even though it was a very small amount. the gummies aren’t sticking together so that is a plus. But i can feel it on my fingers and mouth when eating them, which is a huge turn off.

1 Like

How much money do you want to throw at this…lol

Search the term “Panner”
Or
Candy panner…

3 Likes

yeah, I was looking at them the other day with @Cassin. It would be fun to have for many reasons. I would actually like to have one in my personal kitchen. Might not be too good for my sugar intake though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Would you recommend just wiping off if they are a little too slick?

1 Like

If you want to play around. You can find that fits the kitchen aid mixer.

5 Likes

And if your thinking… the chocolate coating method…your going the wrong way with the gummies… speaking of PANNING that is

Any help beyond that, will have to be shared by the guy who shared it with me… If he feels the need he will share…

I’d suggest asking for a consult… they can be had you know…

Dropping a pic of our gummies, Yetibles or “Yummies”… No sugar or acid coating, no food coloring.

9 Likes

Are you using distillate or rosin?

Distillate now. Used rosin for maybe a year but I needed more consistent and reliable dosing for myself so I switched.

2 Likes

Did you notice any difference in effects between the disty and rosin edibles? Its definitely nice to be able to really zone in the dose though.

Distillate hits a lot faster and lasts longer for me. If I just do straight up THC only for too long some of the effects seem to diminish, but I’ve recently started making 2:1 THC/cbd edibles and have started to notice I don’t need as much THC with those

1 Like