Nano CBD Distillate Questions. Any Help Would Greatly Appreciated!

We are potentially looking to invest in converting some of our bio to nano-emulsified CBD distillate. I haven’t been able to find much information and the suppliers seem to be few and far in between.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on the market as well as any experiences you might’ve had (good or bad)?

Thanks, everyone for taking the time, and Happy Harvest!

2 Likes

and then?

what are your goals other than making marketing keywords? (what uses/benefits do you imagine emulsifying your distillate will provide?).

unless you know what the plan is after you’ve made the thing, or at least what the thing is, I’m not sure you can really justify the cost of making said thing.

that said, I’m also not sure that “nano-distillate” is even a thing…

emulsions are, at their heart, essentially oil drops in water…after you’ve cut your distillate with those two, and screamed at it real high, or sheared it to hom and back, most folks don’t call it distillate anymore. Many then spray dry it to make a powder…

you might start with Search results for 'nano emulsion' - Future4200

edit: bonus query…yields folk actually selling the thing: https://future4200.com/search?q=nano+emulsion+#hemp:hemp-outlet

7 Likes

Hard truths but true nonetheless. Best way to succeed in this industry is to grow organically

2 Likes

Check out Cannasol Technologies… Just partnered with Qsonica. Most reasonable pricing on Top-tier nano (CBD/FS/Distillate/THC).

1 Like

Oh cool! Another company selling modified coconut oil surfactant at stupid high cost, which requires a 5-6:1 SOR, has max oil load of 5% (w/w), and can’t be kept in a cold fridge or the coconut oil will solidify. Really great product you have there! LOL

By the way, Axxiom is selling their Goo, which I’m pretty sure is the same thing you’re hawking, and Industrial Sonomehica’s hawks, for $600/kg. Just in case anyone wants to spend less, :wink:

Also, Axxiom first worked with Qsonica, and Qsonica was going to distribute Goo, but Axxiom went on their own.

Sorry, spammer, you’re reported.

Also, check out my other post where I wrote how anyone with some chemistry knowledge and drive can make a much better, and far cheaper solution in-house. Click the edit pencil to read my redacted edit. I didn’t want to ‘out’ all you companies for using a crappy surfactant, but now I don’t mind because you’re getting annoying: Buying a sonicator: Hielscher vs. Industrial Sonomechanics - #45 by anon87263109

4 Likes

LOL “and screamed at it real high”

4 Likes

its the most critical step. the trick is it has to be a nano scream while said scream is high.

5 Likes

Yes, scream high…Low frequency “ultrasonic” isn’t really a thing :wink:

Or ‘ogenize by shearing it to hom & back…

2 Likes

Exactly. I LOL’d because I had this in my mind’s eye:

ahhhhhhhhhhh-i-just-need-to-scream

5 Likes
2 Likes

Our product does NOT contain any modified coconut oil, it is also free of polysorbate 80 and PEG, and FYI, our surfactants to oil ratio is less than 1:1 (when used in the recommended ratio of 4 parts Pre-Mix: 1 Part Active), and our product does contain both water and oil side antioxidants. Our Nano Pre-Mix is NOT similar to what axiom or industrial sonomechanics is offering. We have been converting many Axiom and ISM clients to our product over the last year because it is truly better. You can think what you want, but if anyone wants to try out the product we would offer a sample for free.

If anyone can achieve a stable Emulsion with a 40 nanometer volume-weighted average particle size on their own without using Polysorbates or PEG, they clearly know what they’re doing and they may not need our product… For those who would like a turnkey top-tier emulsification solution, we offer reasonable prices and the best support out there. And, I’ll mention it once more, free samples

1 Like

To echo what others have said, nano-CBD Distillate isn’t a thing. Are you looking to take this distillate, and process it into an emulsion? What are your product requirements (organic, synthetic, natural)? Do you have access to any equipment, such as a sonicator, high shear mixer, homogenizer? What is the application for this product? Drinks? Food? Some more information would be helpful.

5 Likes

You would be shocked at what people are calling nano today. We recently sold a client who was convinced that he had been purchasing nano CBD in MCT oil (From a con artist out west). He was convinced that you could Sonicate CBD into MCT oil and it would be nano… I’ve heard of several other companies taking this approach, and it is totally ridiculous.

2 Likes

Technically it’s nano though. Sub-nano even!

1 Like

This is simply untrue. Using a sonicator or homogenizer doesn’t automatically make one’s formulation “nano”. The ability for an emulsion to be in the nanometer range is highly formulation specific. Without particle size testing, these claims should not be made.

2 Likes

We have even seen particle size data from bogus nano products. Turns out DISSOLVED Gum Arabic runs around 5 - 6nm on some Dynamic Light Scattering devices. The company selling the bogus nano (CBD in MCT) was also supplying DLS results… the reading was likely the size of the few nano-sized impurities which did not dissolve in the MCT…

Moral of the story, you need substantial differences in hydrophobicity/hydrophilicity between the continuous and dispersed phase (think oil and water, or long chain oil and glycerol) to have what most knowledgable people would define as nano. Our company produces real nano with 40nm volume-weighted average particle size and we have 2 Dynamic Light Scattering units in-house.

If anyone wants “nano” samples run on DLS, we could do that…

4 Likes

What is the formation for the biomass extract? Is there a reason you are leaning towards distillate? What is the plan for the final byproduct? Liquid or powder?

Where I do strongly believe nanotech will be essential for the fire of alternative botanical products (Cannabis, Hemp, Kava, etc.), there are many claims with limited studies to verify outcome. (bioavailability, shelf life, potency).

There are plenty of opportunities to pursue converting biomass to nano; ensure you have a legit process that will be able to be FDA approved one day.

1 Like

We have been talking with a lab that extracts distillate and turns it into 10% nano emulsified distillate. From my understanding this will increase the bioavailability drastically in turn making end products more effective. Our main focus as a company has been addressing bad stigmas in the industry, and that is the reason we have stuck to quality flower till this point. From the information we’ve gathered nano seems like it could be the next thing and could really change the game when making products more bioavailable.

As far as the application for the product, we plan on wholesaling liters of 10% nano emulsified distillate at first. Then we will work with the same lab to turn our nano into water-soluble consumer products ( body creams, drinks, water enhancers, organic edibles, etc ). At this point, we will be able to offer white labeling, wholesaling, and B2C.

This is a new venture for us and we are just looking for any information possible to shed some light. Anything as in things to watch out for, anybody’s past experiences, any help market values, product experiences, questions we should be asking our lab…etc anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for all of their help! We hope everyone is having a badass end to this crazy year!

Here’s some free advice, don’t waste your time on water soluble cannabinoids put in body creams for pretty obvious reasons.

1 Like

Nano creams and lotions can be problematic because of the “stray” oil in the system. Basically, there is a process called Ostwald Ripening that can take place when you have a product that is very polydisperse (large range of particlee sizes). In lotions, if you incorporate nano, you will have many nano-sized droplets mixed in with micron-sized droplets of the lotion oils. Because of differences in Laplace Pressure between the droplets, the large droplets will have a tendency to “suck up” the nano droplets, and after a few weeks on the shelf you no longer have a nano product. Someone may have figured out how to solve this issue, but it can be tricky… We do have some truly nano topical formulations but they are not lotions or creams.

Also, most of the companies repping 10% active nano have a garbage product in terms of particle size. If you want, message me and we will size it for you.

-Josh

2 Likes