Mixing your own nutrients

So before I sold fulvic, I did a ton of grows with just 2-part base salts. Balance the NH4 to NO3 in the recipe to dial the pH in for your water source and feed. That’s it. The flower was kind of boring at the end of the day.

I found HydroFeed and TAP from Jack’s. I don’t believe in flower boosters, but phosphoric acid gave a little P boost for yield and keeps the pH from drifting up too much.

Cue AGT-50. I don’t worry about pH. The taste and smell are awesome from the organic acids and high brix. It covers several other types of biostimulants. I have added cytokinin dominant kelp to help the structure and branching, but I can honestly take it or leave it. Sometimes, I do a soluble calcium foliar at flip, which helps lighter tops and boosts them into flower. Again, not totally necessary if a huge operation or on a budget.

This fertilizer lineup I posted is complete and has worked for acres of plants. I wouldn’t (intentionally) steer someone wrong when it comes to growing the best flower.

EDIT: and I have done organic gardening for years in my personal veggie/cannabis gardens, so I’m not just a salt apologist!

7 Likes

Been telling people not to buy water at the grow store.

12 Likes

Add some silica in that mix…

Would work wonders. And wouldn’t be that much more.

2 Likes

Rdwc?

1 Like

Frosty af!

1 Like

Damn looks fire how does hvg stack up against jacks 321?

2 Likes

I think the heavy Calcium Nitrate gives it the edge.

3 Likes

Usually a salt nute like that is derived from a recipe found somewhere like Hydro-Gardens. Ron Goldman put together a unique recipe with that fert.

I think the thing that makes their line unique is low P. I am sure the plant stretches less, is very dense and flushes out nicely.

3 Likes

i just checked out pricing on that HGV stuff. comes in at like 200 bucks for 20lbs (12lbs growth, 8 lbs flower) so 10 bucks a pound.

Jacks can be had for 55 bucks for 25lbs base (2.20/lb) and Yara Calnit is 30bucks for 50lbs ( 0.60/lb) so for the same 20lbs of feed as HGV (3:2 ratio) 12lbs base and 8lbs canit your in for 26.40+4.80=$31.20 for jacks/calnit vs $200 for HGV. is the HGV worth 6.4x the cost of jacks?

5 Likes

@square_root_pharms I like your thinking. The first thing I do is crunch numbers like that.

49avyw

7 Likes

Hides head in shame…

Do the math on technaflora nutes.
YIKES!

3 Likes

If what you are looking for is the absolute cheapest thing you can get by with then your answer is , No. I would have to assume with this mentality your really not worried about the final product.

2 Likes

certainly not looking for the cheapest and i think my quality far surpasses many growers out here on the east coast. what im looking for is justifiable expense, not greentaxed overpriced crap or bro science nutrient marketing lingo to sell 10 cents worth of salts for 20 dollars. there’s only handful of mass production fertilizer plants here in the USA that produce all of the salts resellers use to repackage and ratio out there “special blends”. the salts essentially all come from very few sources and are all very similar in guaranteed analysis so my question is do you feel the “special blend” ratio of that HGV nutrient line is worth 6+ times the cost of jacks given that the salts more than likely come from the same fertlizer plants and are probably not even blended by the resellers.

7 Likes

Not to nasay anything here but most base nutrients sold into this industry can be reverse engineered using their feed charts, NPK, label amounts, and SDS. Not universally true (for instance a lot of calmag supplements use multiple calcium salts/chelates) but ultimately they are mostly comprised of bulk salts from the likes of Haifa, Brandt, and Yara. We started out nutrient regime by reverse engineering a couple of well-performing mixes and we got better results at 2c on the dollar. We run nearly straight inorganic and I think our total cost is about $20 per 1000gal of DWC solution at 2500 uS.

3 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talkin bout. Bio-Live, Feather Meal, Kelp Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Oyster Shell, and even some Azomite… all from Down To Earth. The Bio-Live, High Phosphorus Bat Guano, and Kelp Meal along with some decent compost make a killer tea.

5 Likes

How is the aluminum content on that Azomite?

Thanks to @Slownickel I quit using it.

2 Likes

I use Yara for my Cal Nit.

3 Likes

Its not about how much the salt cost. Its about how many gallons of feed solution it will make. Look at the @AgTonik fulvic. Its super concentrate so it kills the BioAg i was using when it comes to gallons of feed solution made. Shit its so strong i think it will work great at 50% strength.

3 Likes

Using ISO/LAMAR testing, AGT-50 is 4.5%, Ful-Power is 0.15%.

Half-strength AGT-50 is 15x as potent as Ful-Power. Not to mention the amino and organic acids, chelated minerals and trace elements.

Thank you for the shout, @BG305

giphy

8 Likes

@AgTonik There is no listing of what the Aluminum content is but I have all of my flower lab tested for heavy metals (an extra $75) and I have never seen anything alarming and even though there are no state mandates here in regard to heavy metals I feel much more confident (and so do my patients) knowing I am within what would be acceptable in states that do have mandates… according to my testing lab47140_AZOMITE_SR_50lb_2016