Media combinations that allows the filtering fats and such instead of your standard cryo methods?

“I’ve have good goddamn ideas, great ideas…
Just seems like I’m always 10 minutes behind on em”.
~George Carlin~

I’m thinking for the nanoparticle membranes for dewaxing. Like the membrane filters in an RO set up.
Has anyone run those before for waxes and such?

2 Likes

in super secret yes… thats all I can say about that!

1 Like

Your secret is safe with…

HEY GUYS!!! COME LOOK!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The kicker is the cost of the filters… most people make that amount of money in a year. It won’t be feasable except for the big boys for a while, thats where the cartriges fill the gap.

1 Like

I’m gonna tear into one and see what I find out. Should be able to source the same materials from that and scale it.

I can see it now. All stainless carts that fit in a 6x48 column.

Reverse engineering shit is a hoot to reconstruct it better then it was before for another purpose

like this?

https://www.ecosce.com/our-product/

was running something similar earlier today.
believe we paid way too much for it.
almost convinced it works.

my understanding is you can source the membranes directly from evonik (which I think we did)

https://duramem.evonik.com/product/duramem-puramem/en/

you will also find information scattered around here using those company names for search queries.

edit: or take a trip back to 2018…

3 Likes

You guys are all wayyyy overthinking this.

1 Like

Ya they do and will work. I never ended up meeting with Dr. Kumar.
Also, you can repurpose military water RO skids or build one cheaper. Go super cheap for now on everything and the r&d is picking up!! I forgot I’m pretty sure you and I were talking about this last year.
I haven’t read up enough yet on the urea treatments for fat and wax exclusion from hydrocarbons but that is a thing.
Plate and frame is also but usually requires some temperature swing. Centrifugal forces also can work

That’s why hemp is ISo / Methanol or cryo etoh for big work.
I do think the hydrocarbon can work but ya, it’s about 3 months or more away I would say.
@cyclopath how are you liking those membranes? There are other alternatives.
Best part is with hydro u don’t need that 800psi

There’s somebody else doing some major work on this but I won’t say he can do that if he wants sometimes it’s more fun to go around the circle before you Just blast shit out there

Especially with the knock off crowd I’d almost start making fakes
It’s like Cold War bullshit :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Moon landing what?!

2 Likes

what is AO

I assume that he means Al2O3 - Activated Alumina, - Aluminum Oxide

The solvent system and buffers matter a lot with these types of metallic filtration media

1 Like

This isn’t exactly what you’re looking for @HeisenbergInd , but you can winterize inline with a plate and frame heat exchanger.

Edit: If you know someone who home brews, you can probably get one to try it with: CPE60H-XXD Stainless Steel Plate Heat Exchanger – CPE Systems Inc.

1 Like

I’ve wondered about that. So no residence time is required for the fats to drop? Just cooling to correct temperature instantly precipitates them?

There’s quite a bit of flow interaction going through the plates which minimizes resonance time requirements over say a shell and tube heat exchanger. If you dial in your temp and flow, you’re basically cold filtering through a heat exchanger.

1 Like

So a pig filter, more or less…

Not familiar with those sorry. You folks will love this pft00058en_lowres.pdf (633.8 KB)

Edit: guide to plate and frame heat exchangers in degumming/dewaxing/solvent recovery/vapor scrubbing.

Edit 2: great company btw, always had good experiences with their equipment.

When I winterize in methanol I let it sit overnight in the chest freezer to get nice and cold I don’t need to worry too much about it warming up because anything that crashes out isn’t going to just instantly redissolve into still cold methanol I feel a spool with layers of C light followed by T5 followed by activated carbon followed by a generous amount of coarse activated alumina that is well wedded with water before I put Several volumes of her stainless steel wall into the school to fill it out by then add approximately 10% water to the math and I’ll give it a good mix and then filter it the steel wall grabs onto a lot of the floating waxes that crashed out with the addition of the water and stops them from taking up too much on the top layer of a Lumina which is a course grid and allows for a nice fast flowBefore getting too stopped up the water on the alumina also tends to stop a lot of waxes that are normally not fully crashed out in the loose methanol

5 Likes

My filter set up for this particular stack was an 8 x 24” tri-clamp spool affixed to a 15 gallon keg that I tapped with a hose barb so I can dry vacuum from the bottom it worked well to filter 5 gallons of methanol at a time but could easily be scaled up with a wider filter

4 Likes

Anyone used a plate rising film like the one shown here?

Ive done it, there were issues with fouling and eventually the flow slowed way down. my unit was not alfa Laval though.

Were you able to open it up and clean it out?