Media combinations that allows the filtering fats and such instead of your standard cryo methods?

As the topic describes, has anyone come across a filtering media or combo of such that you could filter out your waxes and such WITHOUT having to winterize your EToH the traditional way with success?

It is possible, but requires multiple filtration steps and lots on time in my experience

2 Likes

I have a 3 column (one jacketed) closed loop set up 6x48 with multiple filter plates so I have the columns to do it. Just need the combos to do it.

@Shadownaught any ideas?

Deals with separstion of lipids from a complex mixture, but could work as a starting point for some research.

The column they used in the paper was an aminopropyl bonded media.

1 Like

I ran across the a few days ago.

What I’ve done is developed a closed loop EToH setup that will allow me to run upwards of 5000lb a day of biomass and go from the biomass to a column with AC and T-5 to another column (for hopefully dewaxing), then to a preheat column that’s jacketed, to my FFE. Running EToH pumps and a vacuum on everything and nitro assist if needed. And all in one to crude and recirculating. A few other bells and whistles will be included.

Last piece of equipment comes in this week so I’m hoping to make some headway on this prior to set up.

1 Like

Then I suggest spending your time integrating something already known to work. @Beaker posted a method of winterization using wetted aluminum oxide to inline dewax without having to go cryo.

How you would incorporate that into a system that deals with that much volume im sure i dont know. It may be tough.

4 Likes

I figured wetted AO cause that’s what’s been constantly popping up. The processing of the biomass is the easier part. Not sure how much this process is going to bottleneck this to clean crude. Just trying to design an all and one set up. May be easier to put the filtration after the FFE. That may speed things up a bit. Then I could run multiple columns at once with either vac or nitro assist.

Worst case scenario, I go traditional for winterization. But, I’ve never been a traditional kinda guy either😎

2 Likes

Could also go the route of pressurizing your crude solution and forcing it through a needle valve.

Assuming your able to reach high enough pressure your solution would come out extremely cold.

3 Likes

May work…

I’m just trying to keep everything room temp as much as possible. Keeps the cost down with equipment and amperage draw.

Right, which is why that idea is so attractive to me. With a chiller your always wasting energy because there is always some heat constantly being moved around.

If pressure was the driving force then cooling would only occur when the pressure gets released as opposed to the way chillers are continuously cooling. However its not clear to me whether you would save more energy compressing your solution or just compressing refrigerant. But id have to assume that reaching those higher pressures would undoubtedly require an expensive pump and would likely waste much more energy before it was able to translate to the same amount of cooling power. The way i see it, adiabatic expansion will allow you to winterize much quicker but at a higher opersting cost.

3 Likes

I wonder if the membrane tek has caught up to what we need these days?

1 Like

It certainly has, a few folks are using them now. @tweedledew dont you use one?

Or is that thw solvent separation membrane that you use?

You still need freezing temps with AO.
Warm or room temp, the AO wont stop the nasties

2 Likes

I think beaker discovered that by wetting the surface of the AO with water you can avoid cold temps. Ill try and find the post.

1 Like

I’ve tried it before, buchner funnel, celite 545, AO. Room temp just filtered thru with no stopping the nastied.

3 Likes

I would think wetting it and vac it down would do it. Tighten up the particles, same as cryo does.

Like putting in a bearing… throw that thing in a freezer and heat the housing, they will slip right in😎

Did you do it under vac?

1 Like

I always pull vac on each dry layer of the cake. Keep vac on, flatten down with a wood dowel, wet down, filter. Still no stopping the nasties.

You can see the nasties pull they the cake if it warms up.

1 Like

Did you keep the cake wet while under vac or just vac down the dry then run your solution?

2 Likes

Always wet

2 Likes