Making moonrocks

Look up @astronoma.pdx on insagram for some pictures of the moon rocks i made, including core shots. Injecting greatly reduced the bleed through the kief. We also purposely used non-winterized distillate that remained solid at higher temperatures to further reduce the bleed through.

2 Likes

Savage

1 Like

Moon diamonds lol @Soxhlet

1 Like

Is anyone still interested in making these things? I really see them as a novelty but the company I work for really wants to make them so I did some serious RnD on them and came up with a procedure that is pretty passive and soaks the nugs to the core. The distillate still makes its way to the surface over time but with a heavy coating of kief I was able to limit that to only the spaces coming into contact with the vessel they were stored in. Even that could be circumvented by just adding a layer of kief on the bottom of the container you use. I took 3 tiny nugs weighing 0.55g turned that into 3.9g with disty and then 4.2g with kief.

3 Likes

Can you share the procedure? I’m in the process of making these and would like a procedure that I can scale.

Can you pay me?

Just kitten. What scale are you looking to do? Size of the nugs, using distillate, you got kief or nah? I can probably coach you through it. Also in order to use my procedure you need some type of vac oven or pressure cooker. Paint can attached to a vac could work as well.

What’s all this talk of anything but CO2 oil… To me a MoonRock is co2 oil and keif. Everything else is just a salad!

Using a paint brush, brush on oil then let dry overnight before dipping in keif. They always burn fine.

Customer asking us to do 100 lbs per month. Currently dipping nugs in distillate and rolling in kief the next day. Nugs are medium to large. I was thinking of repurposing deep fryer baskets to do pound at a time.

Curious how much disty you go through when dunking a pound?

1 Like

Huh? Whats the potency of your “CO2 oil”? The distillate I was soaking with was over 80% THC. I tested a piece of one of my moon rocks and it came out to be 112% THC don’t @ me bud. Obviously I did a poor job with the sampling of that one but regardless these things are fire. Using a paint brush doesnt get that disty to the core which IMO is what sets my moon rocks apart from others.

@lazarus I did some quick maths and if your set up (nugs and disty) behave at the same ratios as mine you could take 15 lb of bud and get them soaked in 85 lb of disty to get your goal of 100 lb. This sounds a little crazy to me so i would probably just shoot for a 3:1 ratio which is 25 lb bud to 75 lb distillate. Do you even have that much distillate? Also do you have a vac oven? How much does a medium to large nug weigh? Are they super dense colas or is the material a little more larfy? This will play a role into how well the nug holds on to the disty as well as how much you will actually need to soak them.

1 Like

Maybe I’m old school but I loved the co2 MoonRocks for the taste. That’s why I would brush them, no need for more than first half of nug to be soaked with it and easier to burn in my cones they went in.

Not sure exactly. We’ve just been doing samples for the customer to get what they want. First run was painted on and it wasn’t enough disty. Second run we dunked. Each mug gained 2-3 grams in weight when added disty.

Yes i have a vacuum oven. What I’m afraid of is the cost may outweigh the gain if you know what i mean!

1 Like

People that smoke Moonrocks probably dont care about quality. So use whatever you want :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Okay if you have a vac oven you’ll be in good shape. I can DM you when I get some free time, currently at work dealing with other tings.

Edit: Your fears are the same I have honestly. This product costs more to make than others would like to pay which is probably why people only paint the disty on.

Ever have a strain that tastes amazing but doesn’t have the oomph you want? How about the other way around? Squish the tasty one and add it to the potent one. Not really something I’d market, but for personal use it’s pretty fun.

1 Like

Co2 oil…bleh

The true way is to get a new frying pan put that shit on low heat and dump the crude/distillate in there until it all melts then just toss the nuggets in roll them around a bunch then toss them into a bowl with loads of kief after they cool down a little. Easy as hell

5 Likes
6 Likes

I own this gun and really respect this company. Awesome customer service starting out and really cool product.

2 Likes