Making magsil

i totally agree with what @rowan said too. People like @Roguelab might not have access to Magsil PR but might have access to a kiln and magnesium silicate. i think a bunch of us have really forgot that a portion of the forum is in other countries where magsil pr and adsorbents might not be available. A ton of us have gotten use to Amazon Prime and think the world has same day shipping on literally everything.

I cant tell you how many clients i have from spain and italy that dont have pesticide remediation
adsorbents. i think this is a good conversation to have not to start a side business but more to show capabilities when the resources might not be readily available.

10 Likes

Exactly. This is a skill I’d like to learn and I’ll probably still buy lab grade magsil pr but making a cheap alternative would help out a ton and I’d be able to get pesticide free distillates to people who need it for lower price than i can now. It’s hard to compete with the huge companies selling dist at rock bottom prices unless i can stand out with quality and do a third or fourth pass on my biomass to increase my yields

2 Likes

I was wondering if their magsil pr is synthetic or not because I haven’t heard a definite answer. And where can i get magsil pr for 275 a kilo? Lowest i can find is $180 for 500g from BVV on amazon. I wasn’t claiming to know how you manufacture it at all

BVV has there florasil PR ( which they did a study on to show what pesticides it works on ) for 2250 for 10kg if I remember correctly, check the BVV website

Or ask me to order for you cuz I got the wholesale hookup on bvv items

2 Likes

I actually sell carbon chemistry magsil pr for $215 a kg shipped priority mail and even cheaper with quantity.

I can ship tomorrow

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for the hookup. I have 1kg on the way already but I’ll hit y’all up when i need more

1 Like

So would you recommend using a reactor for making the magsil or can i Just use a beaker on a magnetic stirrer?

Reactors are ideal for large volumes but always make sure to do your stoichiometry and know what products you are making, caustic and toxic gasses need to be contained, and a lot of reactions generate heat so making sure to take notes and study first before attempting any reaction is a must.

1 Like

Would doing this leave residue in a reactor that I can’t clean out? Found someone last week that had a used 20L reactor for sale I’m getting this week for LLE heptane washes but I’ll use it for this if won’t fuck it up

I’d try it on a small scale and take notes before scaling

Yea definitely small batch first. I’m ordering https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QL4ZV0I/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2XK3LGERU3K1U&psc=1 and Amazon.com for the first test. If it works then I’ll turn silica gel or quartz sand into the sodium silicate instead of buying it. There’s a bunch of types of sodium silicate and a few ways to make it so I’m sure each one would have different properties. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Then i can use one batch as is and heat one batch to 675 with that propane furnace someone posted earlier and see if there’s a difference. Then grind and sift it in various micron screens to get different grades

1 Like

Update on this. I started re using magsil instead of making it from scratch, I’ve been just half filling a jar with it then I pour isopropyl and shake it then pour off the iso and repeat until the iso stops getting lighter then I switch to denatured then acetone and I’ll re-activate it back to 675 or hotter in a homemade PID controlled kiln one of my employees is building. I’ll leave it to US silica to make the actual florisil for now

5 Likes

How do we know MagSil really pulls pesticides. Is there any real solid data out there? From what I’ve been seeing it’s pulling just as much as any acidic media will which is the brute of it. Any media will bring you down to about 1 ppm. Anything below that is where it gets hard to pull the remaining pesticides. So far I have not seen MagSil pull anything more than what the acidic clays already did. Does anyone have real proof MagSil pulls pesticides?

Have you been through that one yet?

We did pretty extensive RnD, something like 100+ analytical test samples, and Cali has PPB requirements. MagSil worked, lots of other things did not. But that was like 4-5 years ago. Maybe there’s something else that’s cheaper but still effective out there? Problem is the cost of RnD is steep, pesticide tests are expensive af

4 Likes

Yea it i$. I’m dealing with PCNB rn and was able to get down to almost passing levels. It’s at .129 and MagSil only removed .004 off that. I feel like every pesticide will need a different approach to remediate. As I look into PCNB I see it’s “aromatic hydrocarbon” properties and the fact that this last bit won’t come off easily hints to me it could be a hanging out in the terpene fraction as the brute of it is already removed. I’m going to keep trying even tho it’s pricey. I think a coconut carbon will help since coconut is usually used to deodorize hydrocarbons and this last bit seems to be “aromatic”. Maybe we can fraction it off if it’s coming thru in the terpene layer?

3 Likes

Hi Waxplug,

I support your idea of trying coconut AC. Activated carbon indeed does hold onto aromatic hydrocarbons pretty well, since it steals your cannabinoids
The difference of 0.004 you saw after a MagSil treatment could have been testing variability. good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the support. After a few trials and tribulations I was able to remove the pcnb to ND. The oil came out super clean and stable as well.

Now I’m dealing with a new one on a new batch. Chlorfenapyr

3 Likes

I would try AC again. Pyrrole and phenyl group are aromatic. It looks pretty non-polar as well so silica might work in a more traditional chromatography set-up.

2 Likes