Looking for some suppository formulation guidance for a cancer patient

for the past year I’ve been helping a cancer patient and treatment had been going very well. The patient has an unbelievably slow metabolism and had zero experience with cannabis before they developed cancer which leaves them truly struggling to stay up with the dosing protocol. They are a stay st home parent who home schools, 3 children and when they take even the smallest of doses they are incapacitated for prolonged lengths of time. After months of the cancer diminishing the patient stopped the protocol and tried a water diet for 40days, after the fast their most recent scans show that the cancer has appeared to have have begun to spread. After a long discussion with them the other day the patient decided they would like to try a 1:1 thc:cbd suppository in hopes that they can avoid the majority of the incapacitating “high” the treatment gives them while being able to dramatically increase their consumption to meet the treatment protocol. Does anyone have any recipients they’d care to share as far as carrier oils or waxes for the suppositories? I purchased a case of applicators that can be premeasured and packaged for ease of the patient. I would love to hear from @ExTek90 or anyone else with experience in this arena for suggestions or insight.

2 Likes

Official thread. Plant2pipe - #12 by Future

2 Likes

Don’t decarb the bud = not activated, so they can take it anyway they’d want then while still getting the cannabis

2 Likes

Thx, iI’ve read that thread at least once already a few months ago but I didn’t remember any formulas, @Plant2pipe mentions mct and soy lectin but I believe that was in regards to dosing edibles. I was more curious as to proper ratios of carrier to oil for best absorption while maintaining high potency. My only experience with mixing with any carrier has been with making balms and salves but the concentrations were pretty dilute in comparison to what this needs to be.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, using MCT oil and pure cocoa butter (the dense waxy kind) is best, also, I’ve read that as long as there are terpenes in the extract, and the dose exceeds 250mg TAC, you can go as high as 4:1 CBD:THC and continue to push tumors into remediation. There was a woman from Australia that had stage 4 lung cancer with the same issue; getting too high. She switched to half her normal THC dose, diluted with MCT oil rectally. I believe it was 6 months later she was in full remission.

I don’t have any formulation ratios, I would guess 50/50 extract/MCT and then use enough of the cocoa butter to keep it stable out of the mold.

3 Likes

I purchased applicators that are very similar to a syringe that I planned to use, they look like spermicidal birth control aplicators, it seemed like an easier route for the patient, and I figured it would be easier to maintain dosing and eliminate the need for heavy waxes. Thx for the mix suggestion and reply.

2 Likes

This works well for suppositories.

Search by theobroma oil.

4 Likes

My understanding on this subject is there are three rectal veins, inferior, middle and superior, the first 2 won’t drain to the liver, the superior vein does. Placement of the inserted suppository determines which veins carry the medicine, bypassing the liver is the goal and the superior vein is the farthest from the anus. I found creating shorter more compact less elongated suppositories helped a patient of ours, they complained of the debilitating head high, so after a little r&d the next version took care of the problem and they never had the issue again. Perhaps they were shoving them up too far, either way, the shorter more compact plugs worked better.

9 Likes

Like was mentioned should try not decarbing so that she can uptake the cannabinoids without the psycho active effect. If you still are having troubles I can consult my buddy who can give me his regiment that will not get her high while fighting the cancer but generally involves a keto diet (the water diet would put her body into ketosis)

4 Likes

Delta 8…

Its about 30% as psychoactive as regular thc and a much different high.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Ok, so I should re-run my distillate through the boiling flask with bleaching clay, correct? I haven’t messed with the powders in the flask yet but it doesn’t seem that complicated. What ratios should I use ?

5-10%

1 Like

magic dirt for the win…again!

2 Likes

Use t5. Itll make more d8 than anything else.

C bleach usually makes some d10

Awesome, I’m already sitting on a few 100g of that. What kind of % are you getting with the T5? What percentage of D10 are you getting from cbleach?

I do believe that THC in its acid form is still anticarcinogenic, and not psychoactive. This theoretically would be better with some terpenes as well for absorption, and I just wanted to say thay cacao butter should be fine without mct.

2 Likes

Ok a couple questions i haven’t found answers to (and don’t want to guinea pig for the obvious reasons)

what starting material is best for suppository formulation? Isolate? Distillate? I would love to use rosin but terpene content has me concerned about irritation

1 Like

I’ve formulated in cocoa butter with oil that had 3%+ terpenes and got no reports of discomfort for vaginal or rectal administration. I’d say go for it with the rosin.

3 Likes

I just did an interview with Dr. Paula MacFie for the Cannabis Today Podcast. On Instagram she is @backdoormedicine She is local to PDX but consults via skype all over the world and she can help.

3 Likes