Looking for guidance to increase flow through crc column when using powders

He probably means if you intend to use a variety of different powders in the same stack, don’t mix them together and layer them instead.

3 Likes

Has anyone noticed their CRC column/spool get a bit hot during initial stage(s) of a run?
I run BHO for shatter and recently started noticing my CRC spool (loaded with CR41+ActivatedAlumina) getting almost hot to touch shortly after I open the solvent tank valve feeding the main column. My CRC sits atop my collection pot and is fed via hose from the biomass column, with that path being left opened prior to feeding butane. (The CRC spool is the only vessel in the transmission path that is not jacketed and chilled to -40c.) As soon as the sub -40c butane starts filling the biomass column I notice the CRC spool rapidly heats up (from ambient temps, ~20c up to +40c) and seems to cause a backstop in gas pressure causing the CRC spool to slowly to fill up with cold solute. Having my collection pot (jacketed) chilled condenses the (hot) gas coming through and the CRC spool gradually cools down as the chilled solvent moves down the CRC spool.
I thought at first this was due to the ambient temp of the media and CRC spool boiling the incoming chilled solute resulting in rapid gas expansion and backpressure translating into heat (friction). Though this still seems to me the likely mechanism at play with regards to the unusual heating up, after reading this thread (t5-t41-and-crystal-resistance) I am left wondering if there is more at play here than just phase change via temp differential causing pressure-based heat (i.e. could it be a redox/oxidation occurring, or an exothermic reaction from bits of water mixing with weak bases). If so then I would have to adjust my CRC stack to compensate for such interactions. Currently I have CR41 on top of filter papers with a mesh screen gasket and cotton ball filling and more filter paper on a filter plate to catch fines, and Activated Alumina stacked atop the CR41 to catch water/lipids/waxes. Moving the AA below the CR41 was what I thought would fix this…
BUT…Thinking more on it now I am convinced its just the temp-differential phase change (liquid-gas) along with constant head pressure (N2 assist to be slightly above 0 psi) causing a temporary pocket of pressure which translates to heat (from compression/friction). Yeah, even though this phenomenon doesn’t significantly slow down the run I still think I should get a jacketed CRC spool which will avoid this circumstance and should improve run time duration for the solute to accumulate in the collection pot. That or go back to freezing the CRC spool prior to runs.
My main concern with this was the possibility of the temperature jump adversely affecting the output quality since the CR41 (and other CR variants) works best at sub -10c temperatures. Reading suggestions in here though make me question my stance on cold runs being best for CRC media.

Perhaps I am overthinking this … but is it not ideal for the solute path to be at an even temperature (whether chilled or not)?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t activated alumina exert heat in the process of adsorption? Have you tried omitting the AA, just using the CR41 alone instead? How much AA do you use in relation to the CR41 and biomass? Most if not all adsorbents cause an exothermic reaction, though I haven’t experienced that much of an increase in temperature using bentonite based adsorbents. I reckon it’s the AA, it’s probably the one exerting all of that energy. I’ve observed ethanol/cannabinoid solutions heat up quite a bit when using AA and/or AC under ambient conditions.

2 Likes

But you don’t need to mix them together!

3 Likes

I think you may be right about that as I don’t recall noticing this temperature jump with CRY alone.
I use 100g AA layered atop ~1300g CR41 for ~3000g of biomass. I thought it might be the CR41 as I recently switch from CRY to CR41 and thereafter started noticing the CRC spool warm up. Either way, I’m thinking it shouldn’t significantly affect the CR41’s ability to adsorb undesirables even if the spool heats up for about a minute and then cools down to subzero for the majority of the run time through the CRC spool.

Thanks for pointer, @terplord420

2 Likes

Silica will create heat when compressed, due to friction, as the bed compacts itself. Happens the same in a chromatography column. This is also why the bed should be pre-wet, and sitting in solvent before use. This way, the media has already emitted the heat and will not impact the filtration flow in any negative way.

2 Likes

A call with @StoneD is affordable and you’ll learn a LOT.

3 Likes

@sidco has about talk me into that podcast thank u so much momma cat

2 Likes

@Sidco_Cat problem solved hes back in business

1 Like

Of course he is! I’ll bet he’s also happy as a clam that he engaged you. You’re the best!

1 Like

Not wrong…

There are multiple reports.

Eg

2 Likes

Who is selling the the cheapest 70131-50-9 activated clay?

the folks in huoxingbaitu?

1 Like

“huoxingbaitu”]? Really! You are a genius!

2 Likes

Running -30 chiller on injection coil and material columns. -10 on return coil. 1800 grams per sock. Crc is 6inch - using Preform 6000 only.

I am seeing little color difference from the first 12 pounds of material run and the 50th.

Why is it coming out soo good compared other powders?

I stopped and refreshed my crc powders after 60pounds

1 Like

Might I suggest a jar for storage?

4 Likes

Can’t fit 1700grams in a jar. What do you use? I’m open to suggestions.

1 Like

Multiple jars

There’s certainly options if you want it in a single jar

4 Likes

What’s good? White color?