Lets set D8 straight

Mom, Dad, stop fighting!

9mryQK1h

8 Likes

Iā€™ve addressed all my past situations here. Seems like you may have some work to do still though. Thanks for your input Iā€™ll take it. :call_me_hand:t3:

You clearly canā€™t see quotation marks.

1 Like

Why stoichometrics?

Since the catalyst isnā€™t being consumed by the reaction, does it really matter all that much?

1 Like

@DUMPSTERFIREOG ā€œUsing hexane seems to produce the best results but leads to red oilā€. This is true in this case.

totally unexpected and thatā€™s exactly why this whole ordeal here will fail

NOT TLC THO BECAUSE THATā€™S FOR POOR CHEMISTS RIGHT!!

this coming from you of all people is hilarious

that is incorrect on multiple counts. it eliminates neither colour nor exothermic issues, the latter because it doesnā€™t begin to transfer heat to an actual heat sink (the condenser) by phase change until it reaches a much higher temperature (=much more kinetic energy present in reaction mix) , so in that regard lower boiling solvents are more preferable.

how does a beginner develop a method which is not for beginners

then youā€™re doing it wrong. the isomerization is noticeably exothermic, but certainly not ā€œextremelyā€ so.

Thatā€™s bullshit. Obviously.

Itā€™s not, youā€™re just doing it wrong. Heating a solvent way past its boiling point always causes this. Which effectively means that you have absolutely no grip on what youā€™re doing there.

Again this implicates that you have no idea what youā€™re doing. Toluene is very simple to evaporate in a rotavap (given you have a pump that does below 100mbar),actually itā€™s by far my favourite solvent due to its immiscibility and self-drying properties.

only when pouring it while itā€™s still very hot, which nobody with half a brain would do without a fume hood.

5 Likes

Although itā€™s not causal.
The colour depends on the presence of oxygen and/or already oxidized compounds (charge transfer complex of resorcinols with quinones).

1 Like

Toluene Run.

6 Likes

Oh shit @roiplek is back.

We needed ya last week when this place was on fire.

10 Likes

Iā€™m only posting pics to show what these runs will look like if* running a typical sop without anything fancy such as gas or excess media filtration for those who are new to cannabinoid distillation and or conversions.

forgive me if Iā€™m not as knowledgeable. At least Iā€™m enjoying the ride.

7 Likes

Lmao my results speak for themselves, youā€™re a fucking asshole with no results and no proof he knows what heā€™s talking about at all. Since my methods work and produce a product that is in fact superior to yours then I think Iā€™ll just keep on trucking and not listen to any of your bullshit today. Let me know when you got a coa better than mine chief.

4 Likes

I think reflux temp is what we need to control to prevent olivetol from being produced

Iā€™m compiling data on different solvents and amounts of olivetol produced using ptsa with different hydro carbons, ill be sharing this data openly with the community once I get it compiled

From what Iā€™ve seen so far, the higher temp when the ring closure happens the more olivetol that is produced

I havent been able to get the ring closure to happen with ptsa and heptane at room temp, Iā€™ve noticed you need around 45-50c to get the reaction to start and I think this is when the olivetol is being made (i dont think itā€™s happening once the ring is closed as I havenā€™t seen olivetol in my d8 from d9 I tested)

5 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly the temp I saw directly before the rxn exo took place. Climbed to over 60C then as temps stabilized and started to decline I quenched. Hope this was correct?

2 Likes

Youre using ptsa and heptane?

If you quenches that quickly you might have made more d9 then d8, I always let my reaction reflux for a little after to get the d9 down

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure why you want to go that route, but, okay.

TLC isnā€™t going to be sufficient for the goals outlined here, Iā€™m sorry if youā€™re still bitter about something else.

Did your TLC (which I have said multiple times, was very nicely done) help sell that 250k SOP you were touting a while back?

1 Like

Iā€™m enjoying it with you. Looking great!

Would love to hear ā€œimprovements for next timeā€ type things as youā€™re going through and experimenting

2 Likes

Hexane

1 Like

Whatā€™s the theoretical basis behind that?

Usually heat increases rate of reaction so if the side reaction is occurring regardless it would happen faster and more Olivetol would form.

Edit: I misread what you were saying. I totally agree.

1 Like

What was your stirring speed at room temp rxn with heptane
I do get full conversion with 4% unknowns at RT but my stirring speed is really fast as is the design of the rotor

3 Likes