Large scale rosin?

Just out of curiosity, what is realistic in terms of large scale rosin? Just looking for what throughputs can be achieved.

1 Like

Million ways to skin a cat. Depends on what your comfort zone is. My hydraulic pump can hook up 2 presses. I can press easily 80g in one bag without blowout worries and my usual squish time is about 1:30 with maybe 30 seconds in between to change bags. Unless you have monumental output one press should be good to keep up usually

5 Likes

So that’s roughly 5lbs/hour?

1 Like

If we’re going rapid fire. You gotta understand you’ll have bottlenecks though. Unless you have a wall of freeze dryers that’ll normally be your bottleneck. I’ve always had ample time to press the previous batch of FD output while the next gets put in prior to me washing some more

6 Likes

Depends how many presses you have. You can scale rosin pretty large if you have the space and set it up correctly. Depending on your budget you could wash thousands of lbs a day with enough labor. You would then need an army of freeze dryers or spend the money on a walk In Parker freeze dryer. Then you would need a bunch of low temp plate presses. Their medusa is 5 presses that you can do 100g presses in. I would not do over 50g per press tho. So it really comes down to how many people you want, what kind of yields your looking for, and quality. Acess rosin makes a press you can do 200 grams on but the quality will be slightly Lower then like a purepressure press at only 20g per press.

3 Likes

Two stacked 25 micron double bags with a 160 micron cage around it

chef’s kiss

Comfortably will do 150+…will have your buttcheeks clenched the whole time you do it.

7 Likes

we noticed yield loss. If we were getting 80% on the squish with 50g per bag we only got 77% with the 100g. Yes its 2x as fast but we are trying to get everything we can from it as good starting material isn’t not cheap.

1 Like

Yeah I would like to keep it to 1-2 people max. Budget not too worried about and space I’ve probably got 500 sq ft or so I could throw at it. I always felt it was so hard to scale but I guess it’s time to go down the rabbit hole. I would most definitely like to avoid clenching butt cheeks though. That would be a cool name for a press however

I can up the sq ft space too if needed, just seem to be getting a lot of people asking me about rosin lately and I am not one who likes missing out on sales

When I did it I babied it and the second press was just as good. Different strokes I guess.

1 Like

What’s the cost on those Parker walk ins roughly? Anyone know?

4 Likes

350k for the small one 600k for the bigger one

7 Likes

Seems as though fabricating a basic concept of this wouldn’t be terribly difficult, especially st the 350k+ price tag

Lol up to 1.45. Mil

2 Likes

Here is my answer to large scale Rozen we are currently awaiting the rest of the parts to finish putting it together but we will be updating the thread soon with pics.

2 Likes

It’s not the right tool… I’m telling you from experience

3 Likes

Lots of little presses automated are better than one large 10k ton Uber press. Every facility has a row/line of pure pressures or similar that one or two operators run.

Rosin is more origami than many think. It’s mostly learning how to feed multiple presses or having a prepper (folder) feed a presser (the loader).

4 Likes

I’m curious now when you say that you have experience… have you tried using a large hydraulic press like a trash compactor ?

My question is have you let rosin sit on the plates for too long before? You don’t have much time before it goes from ‘beautiful terpy consistency’ to ‘dried sugar’. Personally as someone who is really super fucking proud of the fire he produces I can tell you the time it would sit on the plates thusly degrading what you worked so hard for would be my primary concern.

3 Likes

I’m curious why you think it would sit on the plates longer than it would sit on a smaller press?

because you have a much higher surface area with a trash compactor. Large plates = large distance for the rosin to travel off the plates. Only the outermost edge of the bags would be somewhat close to the edge on this occasion.

I’ve thought about this a lot as I have a lot of redneck friends with barns full of harbor freight presses and stuff but ultimately the increased surface area will degrade the output and I would much rather do a lot of fire presses in small amounts rather than potentially borking a single 1000g press of fire FFFD hash. At roughly 1k-1200 an oz for badass rosin I personally think it’s worth the extra care rather than trying to do a ton at once. Or you can do what I did, buy a hydraulic press that allows for dual operation so you can double your numbers.

Also, you didn’t answer this

If you did, you’d know that 10-20 seconds of extra plate time is the difference between ‘So-so, but it gets me baked’ and 'Holy shit it’s like a party in my mouth and everyone is on ecstacy!"

14 Likes