Iso Star Workstation for varian CP3800

I am going to be using unichrom for now, but I was reaching out to see if anyone here had a copy of Star Workstation. I pick up the GC Thursday and was hoping to mine some unobtanium software from the web somewhere but it seems to be quite hard to track down.

I do have a dual input license of Dataapex Clarity lite I can go analog with, but the native software would be much nicer for autosampler programs and such

Thanks!

Analog with Synchronization Cable Assembly 03-925675-00.pdf (102.1 KB)

I have attached a PDF schematic as well of the analog cable pin out for connecting to an aftermarket ADC such as peaksimple, or Clarity.

I feel like we actually have this somewhere on the forum - I recall sharing something about this and software that was on github… I did not find it quickly with a search, but this old varian stuff was made semi-freeware (probably by grad students?) if I remember correctly.

And you might also reach out to Scion - as they continue to fully support all the old Varian and Bruker technology (mostly for universities but for others as well) including the CP3800.

They may be able to provide this to you - if you can give them the case number off the CP3800. And they can also help with spare parts and such…should you need them. At least they have helped me as far back as say…2018. :slight_smile:

They even have the old school injector styles - you know?

And there is a software sharing sites that have this software listed. I do not know if you already have the serial number that is often needed for this or if you are any good at cracking software to fix that issue.

Informer

And its also possible that with some minor tweaks you could run this with MassHunter or something similar - if that download or Scion do not work for you.

Oh and you probably already know this - but you do not need a computer to operate this unit. You can operate it directly from its keypad - and it can and will dump .txt files to an ethernet location or directly to a printer.

I ran one of these motherfuckers for years at University of Missouri - and we just took all the analog signal info and used it to plot things manually.

And I kid you not - we used to cut out pieces of paper and weigh them to do all of our area integrations. Talk about old school. <3

I feel like somewhere there is also an analog to USB - since your computer might not want to have that cable plugged into it. And there is maybe also an emulator - since if I recall correctly the ADC does not have onboard control for timing and was taking it from the motherboard/CPU which was like an old 486.

Good luck with your adventure and please let us know where you arrive and how you got there! <3

2 Likes

Cassin my man!

I will give that link a shot, and maybe have a whirl at cracking it. If I do, of course I’ll post it here haha.

I do have a copy of the MS workstation shared here, I was unsure if it would control the unit Via the 10baseT network card or not.

I have ordered a 10baseT card and the wire, terminators. I gave a pallet of old Lenovo desktops as well to get a dedicated machine going for little cost.

Its funny I used to do gold recovery from e waste as a hobby, as gold refining was my first foray into chemistry. I destroyed so many cards with a BNC connector and was just hating myself as I paid 70$ on ebay for one :sweat_smile:

I will definitely keep the forum updated as this goes forward.

I also do have a Perkin Elmer Clarus 500 Mass Spec just sitting there. I also have the software for it, if anyone needs a copy of turbomass 5.1 let me know, it is really hard to find.

Funny story on that unit as well. The MS would boot loop on the network connection, continously rebooting after a connection was made. Turns out the main board to the MS is actually an old p3 or something, with an ISA slot motherboard.

Replaced the Bios Battery, and voila, works like a charm.

Can’t wait for the new varian toy though it should be miles better than my old SRI 8610a haha.

1 Like

Unfortunately that link on Informer doesn’t go anywhere it just loops back to the same page. Unless I’m slightly retarded, which is always a possibility haha

I sent them a member request link (easy to become a member). Hasn’t been downloaded in like 8 years. So its possible the link needs an upgrade.

You could try to use the OpenLab CDS as well - according to the Agilent publication from 2011 - the Varian 3800 and 3900 models were built into the OpenLab CDS - which you might already have available, if you have any Agilent stuff around.

There is a free trial of the software available if you wanted to try it out.

But really - when I need this stuff I go to Scion - because they have all the parts and stuff I need anyway. -shrug-

And you can still get it to send you all the info that posts to the screen analog out - if you want. Without any special ADC stuff - that should happen onboard with just the front keypad. Computers are faster for sure - but not absolutely necessary.

I also noted there are some older versions of OpenLab on PCs available for sale on e-bay plus available CDs and what not.

Most for less than $1,500 - which is great since the new OpenLab costs like $9000. x.X

1 Like

Not sure if they will work for you, but Ive got a few different versions of chemstation (with license) that I can send you. Ive got a couple different MSD chemstations as well as a normal chemstation.

3 Likes

Ok, so I have the unit now.

I have a bunch of work to do on it, as I need to replace the septa, calibrate the autosampler, add columns, plumb gas lines and so on.

I see what appears to be a column splitter. Which is odd, there doesn’t seem to be an actual valve to switch, so I assume it splits the sample to both columns at the same time.

There is only 1 injector, but 2 EFCs installed as well as 2 FIDs. And that 3x 4 way splitter contraption, with its own internal plumbing to supply carrier gas to each column at the junction.

Anyone here ever used a setup plumbed like this?

Pretty excited to get this unit up and running. It seems pretty clean over all.

Ok after reading a bit it does seem this is a parallel dual column setup with split flow options, single 1177 injector.

I have an HP35, DB17, MXT1, Rtx 624, and a few other columns at my disposal so I’m sure I can maybe find or develop a decent method to see terps and cannabinoids across 2 columns with 1 injection.

I’m open to any suggestions of course from anyone who has any tips tricks or suggestions.

2 Likes

For sure. :slight_smile: The manual is pretty great for different ranges and how to set the methods to look at different areas of the columns and combine that information effectively.

You don’t have to do split - sometimes it helps, when I used it I only worried and used that function when my samples were rather dirty or when I needed to separate out things that really liked to elute together.

There’s even some ways to supply different mixes of gas, if I recall correctly.

Were you able to find the software? Don’t forget the inline gas filters - they didn’t come on the old models, you put them in as you are plumbing the line.

There should be a place for a 3rd EFC and detector.

I found the autosampler to be a real bitch, and mine was new. So you might spend a bit more time there making sure everything aligns nicely. There are spacers and stuff available to help with alignment.

You might also consider replacing the inlet and not just the septa - I don’t know what was run on this before but those things can get nasty and mess other stuff up. Might be able to clean it (manual has instructions on how to take it apart and stuff…) but you can probably also get a replacement and then don’t have to worry about inlet leaks, residuals from someone before, etc.

Did you find the software? :smiley:

Can’t wait to see your first gram off this thing! <3

Yes! @LordanLabs has sent me some files and I have them downloaded, a pc is waiting for my network card to arrive in the mail and I will install a VM with XP pro 32 bit Sp2.

I ordered a 4 pack of inlet liners, with glass wool. Deactivated of course. As well as 10 new graphite ferrules for the higher temps on the injector, as I prefer to bake out my shit once in a while and dislike rubber o rings for GC purposes wherever I can get away from them, as a habit from prior MS work and bleed.

I need to build a zero air type setup for the FID air which I have found I think an OK setup to use for my needs, while I’m still going to have to source a hydrocarbon trap, or build one of my own with some old triclamp stuff and activated charcoal.

I plan on using an oil free diaphragm style compressor, into multiple oil and water traps, hydrocarbon trap, then a decent glass or cotton packed filter for any potential carbon particulates.

This thing is still missing some crucial stuff to run so I am ordering stuff as I go.

I’ll definitely keep updating the thread with my findings and I’m really hoping to run this unit within a month or so.

3 Likes

So here are some pictures of the plumbing.

I’m now unsure if this is a column switching valve or a GCxGC setup lol. Basically half confused at this point, but im sure I’ll sort it out though trial and error.

I’ve included a drawn diagram of the valco 3x 3 way splitter setup as well for pondering.

In the valve options it does say CS in the first box. So maybe I misjudged it and it is a simple column switching device. But I’m still unsure because it has its own EFC and regulator, so I guess I’ll have to just crack a few vials and send it once I get there.

I am waiting on parts to arrive of course, one of which is a set of capillary column nuts which it was missing (goddamnit lol)

Once I get it connected to a PC it will be a bit easier to poke around the settings for me I’d imagine as well.

Either way, if it is parallel split, GCxGC, or a simple column switching setup, i think it’s still a decent unit over all for the $1300 CAD I paid for it. I love the deep learning that comes along with used lab gear and resurrecting it almost more than I love running it after so, no losses here lol.

1 Like

So, I’m left with a few thoughts

Setup 1
Column switching
Connect a small segment of deactivated column from Injector 1 to port A.
Attach a column from port B to FID1
Attach column from port B to FID2

In method setup select the CS valve either - from column 1 or + for column 2.

Setup 2
GcxGc dual FID
Connect column 1 non polar from injector to port A
Connect a flow restrictor capillary from port B to FID1
Connect a 2nd column semi polar from port C to FID 2

Get system running on 1 dimension as best I can for a method. Note the elution times of the target analytes, calculate proper slice timings for the solenoid, and send pulses of the peak over to the second column for further resolution, while maintaining less than 15% peak distortion in column A. So if a peak is 6 seconds wide I need to sample it every 2 seconds or less.
^ for this I also need to see what software is going to work best for compiling 2d GC data.

Also, I am unsure if I can program the relays on the GC unit to switch as fast as I’d like it to. Preferably if I could take them in milliseconds rather than seconds it would be better. Also, the second column needs to be relatively short to resolve the secondary chromatograms in time before the next injection. With such small amounts hitting the column and higher flow rates it is definitely doable though.

Anyone here ever ran stuff like this?

1 Like

Oh wow. I never tried to get it to be that fancy. :slight_smile: Your adventure has me quite interested. I feel like with what you have here you could do so many things with it.

And yeah - those spares are such a pain! Haha. I decided a long time ago to always keep 2 of everything on hand, because things go missing and break too often to have to wait 3 weeks for something to get to me. Haha!

1 Like

Ok so I have gotten the network side of things working after some trouble and pain. I ordered a 10BaseT PCI card from ebay, and had a bit of trouble getting it to work properly.

It was having IRQ issues and other odd problems with the drivers at first, I tried about 5 different computers and finally got a Lenovo desktop pc to work with it, on Winxp 32bit sp3.

I was inspecting the plumbing inside the oven, and realized the ferrules in the column switcher are fucked, and will need some careful removal. I will either order a ferrule removal tool, or try some 0.2mm and 0.4mm drill bits I have from cleaning 3d printing nozzles, to maybe bore and grab the ferrule to pull it out.

I’m still waiting on column nuts, inlet liners, liner ferrules, an air compressor, and a few other things to arrive to actually get it running. I may get it running on one column for now and then work on the 2D side once I’m happy with 1D.

The peak in the photo was me filling the FID cup with butane from my lighter and then igniting it, which produced a peak and made me happy that I have the communications working.

Shout out to @LordanLabs for the software, that was a huge help and much appreciated.

Next project in line.

Perkin Elmer Clarus 500 GC/MS with Turbomass software.

I need more gasses. Lmao.