Is N2 really mandatory with coils?

Damn passive really is the way huh. Just put the solvent tank on DI and push with n2 or is a coil required for injection as well? What’s the most cost effective way to chill my solvent tank? Got any tricks like the goretex ski pants on the material column type of shit. DI Is 1.58 a pound from the cheapest supplier I can find near me that’s why I’ve been hesitant to go that route, it sure Is safer though and sounds twice as fast.

1 Like

Hot vapors plus cold solvent equals not as good of solvent… But it’ll work. So will the psi of ur tank of it isn’t on dry ice otherwise you need nitro

You don’t need to chill the solvent tank. Use an injection coil. Then on recovery, as long as you recover cold enough and fast enough, you don’t have to chill the tank. The incoming gas does that for you.

3 Likes

For me, n2 is more than just about pushing, it’s also helpful for removing moisture from your system. I like to sweep the system with it between vacs just before using it to push injection. Just a thought…

4 Likes
1 Like

Has decent amount of info but second link has more

Most of the advice you’d want is in here

1 Like

If your recovery tank is to big to cool you should have enough psi in it to push it through the cold and through the system

Nitrogen vapor is used when you cool your butane and propane to the point of 0psi… The nitrogen will give you your psi back

1 Like

No it’s not absolutely necessary but you’d rather shove your dick in hot sand.

Get nitrogen. it’s cheap enough, and you’ll be baffled you didn’t get it sooner

3 Likes

yall got me convinced. Imma sell my chiller and use the cash to buy a sleeved solvent tank. And then I can hook these trs21 up to a dab rig running into a old diving mask :rofl:

1 Like

Why not run the chiller on the jacketed tank?

3 Likes

It only goes to like 26 degrees. Would that still be beneficial? I was under the impression I needed subzero temps to get the recovery time that I want.

I could help you turn your trs pump into a source of heat which in turn chills your solvent. That chiller is worthless in my opinion

2 Likes

Passive is the way…

Di on your coils, a sleeved solvent tank and 1/2 lines (even 3/8)

Get your solvent tank cold enough to pull a vacuum prior to starting your recovery and you will be ripping.

8 Likes

4 Likes

So many ways to skin that cat. You’d still need a recovery coil to do the main recovery, but having your tank at 26 degrees would definitely keep nbutane in a liquid state.

If using a propane blend I’m sure you’d have more trouble. Another reason some people like myself prefer straight nbutane.

3 Likes

I’m listening:D

When you say pull vacuum you are saying you hook your vacuum pump up to your solvent tank while it has solvent in it? So I need a cold trap too?

Another option would be to use the chiller on a couple of jacketed coils to pre chill the solvent before the recovery tank. This is how we’re set up at work, and it definitely helps take some of the load off the Huber.

As you said, there are so many ways to skin this cat.

1 Like

No solvent in the tank or pull a vacuum on the head space while you look through a sight glass. Cut vacuum when you see liquid solvent begin to boil.

It’s dangerous, but can be done.

Best to do that with a Venturi style vacuum pump

2 Likes

Okay empty tank. Check

1 Like