Industrial Hemp THC LIMIT (thc vs thca vs thc+thca)

I have been noticing many hemp flower brands claiming below .3% thc as being under legal limit while posting test results with over .4 - .6% THCA.

Does anyone know how legal thc limits are being considered? Delta 9 thc vs thca vs thc+thca combined

Seems like most hemp flower brands are claiming delta 9 thc limit as what the legal limit pertains to

1 Like

Total THC can be calculated by (THC-A*0.87)+(THC). 13% is lost in decarboxylation.
However, even by using that formula, those test results are not showing hemp that is under the 0.3% THC limit. Delta9 THC is just what we call THC. Delta8 is a popular isomerization of Delta9 but hemp flower should not be producing Delta8 naturally.

2 Likes

I know that in Oregon in 2018 to pass the ODA pre-harvest only Delta 9 was considered for compliance with the .3% limit. THC-a was not factored into the “total thc.”

1 Like

I understand delta 9/thc are the same, I guess I was wondering is there some loophole in the wording of the current thc limit or are these companies just trying to fool consumers into thinking their product passes as under thc limit by law. I have yet to find reputable hemp flower that passes below total thc of .3%,

I assume others are having this issue as well if they Are pointing to their delta 9 test results as passing the limit.

Also had a farmer say current farm bill permits .35% thc which I can’t seem to find anything to corroborate this.

Is the thinking that the product is not for smoking so only active thc need be considered ?

Farm bill says D9, post decarb (or DeCarb math), is the .3% limit.

1 Like

Its flipplin hilarious, I’ve been telling every farm rep I know to just read the new bill its there stop with the “its hot” shit fr like for weeks smh…

@SNAPDRAGON care to explain how this fits the definition of hemp?

4 Likes

This is the most amazing COA I’ve ever seen. I want to frame it as a reminder of the pre total THC days.

1 Like

If it’s hemp and delta 9 THC is <0.3% it’s legal in just states

Some states that actually understand cannabis and know how to regulate it like Oregon imposed <0.3% total thc with variable enforcement

The difference being hemp must be <0.3% total thc at the preharvest test

The 15-20% total thc product you’re seeing being sold as high THCa hemp is not hemp, it’s marijuana

At preharvest those varieties are all >0.3% total thc, more like 3-8% total THC

That’s just the biology of the plant

Lawyers and hempbros arguing otherwise apparently don’t know their science well

But where there is a perceived loophole it will be exploited but this is definitely just legacy market selling MJ as hemp

4 Likes

I disagree, I’ve definitely seen legitimate high THCa hemp 20% under below .3 d9.

Overall, you are correct. I agree it’s just shadiness. But that’s just because people are ignoring it and looking the other way just to try and make money. You CAN source it properly though.

For example I just saw a JealousyxBanana Cream Pie COA back from the lab that was under .3%

1 Like

And I’ve seen a half dozen snapdragon coas that are 5% d9 and suggest to me that they’re just testing BM flower for ‘compliance’ and calling it hemp

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t say anything to the contrary.

Just said I’ve seen it direct from farm firsthand without shenanigans. Other trusted members have posted valid COAs as well if you use the search function as far as I remember.

IF one buys the argument that it’s D9-THC and only D9-THC that makes or breaks the hemp/marijuana distinction, growing “compliant” material at 25% total thc is not difficult.

Getting it to the consumer before that spell wears off may not be trivial, and it’s sure as fuck weed as soon as any “crime lab” looks at it.

Presumably this distinction is how @cannabis_terpenes and others are running their game…

“Hemp” till the terpene isolation, then compost. Terps are “cannabis derived”, because hemp IS cannabis…

Bulk CDT's Available Direct Manufacturer

4 Likes

Marijuana routinely has <0.3% D9 THC, but it does not have <0.3% TOTAL THC at preharvest testing.

You’re seeing Marijuana sold as hemp.

If it were tested at pre-harvest it would not qualify as hemp.

Hemp, by Farm Bill definition was tested at pre-harvest and contained <0.3% THC.

Note the lack of this document - the only thing that would justify these crops as legal - in your “high THCa Hemp” spruikers shipping notes.

This is just plain old legacy market working the latest marketing “loophole” AKA lie - this is not marijuana, it’s actually hemp.

That one’s been around since the 60s I think.

TOTAL THC at preharvest is where these “high THCa hemp” strains sit, just like their rec/med equivalents.

This is all cannabis botany/chemistry 101

Raw flower contains THCa, which is converted by heat during smoking to THC.

Pretending that marijuana is now hemp ignores the testing requirements, timing and methods specified in the farm bill and related legislation.

Of course on the plus side personal possession is now basically legal in most US states, so the ethical issues with this marketing misrepresentation are less serious than they might be. However note wholesalers/dispensaries are busted all the time and products like these would be called by every law enforcement officer marijuana, not hemp, regardless of what your supplier told you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Just said I’ve seen it direct from farm firsthand without shenanigans. Other trusted members have posted valid COAs as well if you use the search function as far as I remember.”

Reality check:
Posting marijuana CoAs with low delta 9 and calling it hemp does not make it hemp. It makes it fraud.

Just because a few risk takers get away with making fraudulent claims about their product does not make it fact.

3 Likes

I was the NOCO show in Denver yesterday and there are many companies selling straight up marijuana as hemp.

Delta 8 was a loop hole but this looks like straight up fraud.

Can someone explain how Im wrong.

3 Likes

@BroxTek because the law varies from state to state… but what they are doing is growing THCa rich buds and keeping decarb at bay… this makes a COA say <.3% Delta 9…

this all goes back to the stupid notion that the government created these terms “hemp” and “marijuana

cannabis is cannabis but the legal definitions are what they are exploiting.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-7/section-990.3#p-990.3(a)(3)

There’s no loophole here

1 Like

Maybe ChatGPT?

…you’re not wrong, except for some percentage that actually believe that nonsense.