Impurities in propane

Okay so in another thread someone was talking about mercaptan removal and it got me wondering what lengths someone would have to go through to make propane from the gas station suitable for extraction.

We know 13x zeolite pellets can remove mercaptans odorants from the propane relatively easily, but what about the propylene?

Seeing as how refilling an lp5 tank at the gas station is about $20 it would certainly make sense to do something like this if it the gas can be made safe for extraction purposes.

Let me know what u guys think.

4 Likes

passing as liquid + gas during distillation should remove most of the stink.
gas station ā€œpropaneā€ will be far from pure c3.

3 Likes

PropaneSDS.pdf (637.8 KB)

The stink isnt what Iā€™m worried about, its the propylene.

My local gas stations stock ā€˜Blue rhinoā€™ propane and their SDS states that propylene accounts for the largest volume of contaminant in the propane.

Edit: Iā€™m wondering if setting up a fractional still using a dewaxing column and copper scrubby pads with 13x pellets on top as the packing material could maybe make distilling the propylene from the propane feasible? Theyā€™ve got very similar boiling points.

2 Likes

youā€™ll need deep vac and reflux to fix that.
unless your time is free, itā€™s probably better to just buy the right gas.

4 Likes

Is it worth the effort is essentially what I want to figure out but its sounding like it just makes mor sense to buy it ready to go.

1 Like

this would be great for Alaska. small bottles of tane run 350 to 450. shipping up here for tane is unreasonable. plus sometimes local shops run out

2 Likes

We looked at using Propane for BHO extraction. We looked at these filters and almost pulled the trigger. They claim they pull out the mercaptan.
http://www.bluemoonsystems.com/Products/LPGFilters.aspx
http://www.bluemoonfiltration.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=h7Bni129ZA4%3D&tabid=79

1 Like

I buy my propane NON deodorizedā€¦ Removing that stink in grill propane is a whole other level broā€¦

Save moneyā€¦ Best value vacs, xtane,capitalā€¦ They ship wherever rather cheap

Mercaptans are not what Iā€™m worried about in this instance.

So what are u worried about? I guess I got confusedā€¦

Iā€™ve been under the impression, get from companies like I spoke of, and distill until clean, some say that takes a couple timesā€¦and never use a mercawhatever u call it

Iā€™m worried about propylene, everything else could be removed relatively easily compared to the propylene due to the similar boiling points.

2 Likes

Well now Iā€™m worried about them tooā€¦:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Somebody? Iā€™m ready for the clue

1 Like

Iā€™m currently using 70/30 xtane that I distill before use.

I doubt Iā€™m going to be making the switch to gas station propane for my extractions but itā€™s still a cool concept and would come in handy like for people in remote places like Alaska where people already have large supplies of propane near their house like @sonicgardens was saying.

1 Like

ā€œThe separation of propane-propylene mixture is the most energy consuming
operation in the petrochemical industry.ā€

lamia2007.pdf (519.8 KB)

4 Likes

Could you kindly point me in the direction of the mercaptan remediation thread. Couldnā€™t find it. Thanks
iLLnye

It was a thread that had something to do with new butane laws in California. Scroll down towards the bottom

1 Like

If Iā€™m buying my propane from letā€™s say a distributor who fills on their site (also supplies the uhaul fillers around here)and not blue rhino should I have to worry about the propylene?

I would assume not. Iā€™m assuming the reason blue rhino is cheaper on a per gallon basis is specifically because the separation of propylene from propane is the most energy intensive process in the petrochemical industry. If they can sell it for a bit less without separation theyā€™re making more money.

2 Likes

If your in cali cant you just buy propane from the same ppl who you are getting tane from. Might get more expensive but way easier than to remove the stuff they sell at gas stations or were ever

1 Like

Itā€™s really just as simple as distilling the solvent thru an adequately sized column of 13x mole sieve beads or just copper packing u can get from brewing equipment suppliers. If it can be proven that propylene can make a decent extract without polymerizing upon purging then itā€™s definitely a viable option since a lot of folks distill their solvent before use anyways.

1 Like