Impurities in propane

I think 10x will work for mercaps also, i waz concerned about the propylene. I cant afford those experiments atm

1 Like

I believe 13x zeolite has 10Å pores, but I could be wrong.

And the polymerization of the propylene to polypropylene is what I would be scared of as well.

1 Like

Yes you are correct

I am in Colorado and is much more difficult to acquire propane unscented now. I know of a cheap source for propane when I run my burner for my Turkey burner that’s why I was curious if I could just Distill the propane like photon and rogue labs was instructing me to do with copper scrubby and 13x molecular sieve beads.

2 Likes

If it’s just propane then yes. The jury is still out on using a propane/propylene mixture.

2 Likes

Could I ask for an analysis of their gas to see what is in it ?

You think the copper is necessary?

Might be in a msds

They are ssying the pure copper removes the sulfites better than the 13x without losing solvent if I’m not mistaken from what @Photon_noir was saying.

2 Likes

Catalytic hydrogenation.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no. The same distributors you purchased tane and tane blends from are also subject to verify type7 licensing on non-odorized(instrument grade) propane as well. As of the recent July 1st bill is now in defect.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257562450_New_13X_zeolite_for_propylenepropane_separation_by_vacuum_swing_adsorption

https://sci-hub.tw

1 Like

“Effect”

Oh well waz an idea

1 Like

It is not likely for propylene to polymerize in propane without intentional addition of special catalysts, along with serious heat and pressure.

Propene (just another name for propylene) could possibly react with water (in the presence of acid) to form propyl and isopropyl alcohols. Although propene is a nice reagent for many reactions in organic chemistry, that’s about the only reaction I could see as possible to happen spontaneously under somewhat abnormal extraction conditions.

It’s a stretch, but it may be possible to form a bit of Δ9-THC-2-isopropyl ester from the carboxylic acid on THCa with the right catalyst(s)… but I think that would involve a relatively impossible situation during a simple propane/propene extraction.

Interesting thought experiment, if nothing else.

6 Likes

Good to hear, now I can continue reading into this.

Pretty sure I am shooting low of the bullseye when I say my presumption of using copper is to pull the sulfur ions tied to the mercaptan content, @Photon_noir is this worth time or feasible for efficacy? And are there any hazards of concern in packing a spool with copper and altering or playing with these molecules in operation, main concern I would assume is residual contents after the reaction with the copper. I’ve looked at it but I still feel major holes in my understandings on that level of dynamics, so it has kind of kept me from packing a spool.

Does it require processes like the Merox process to implement a proper scrubbing and breakdown?

Water needs to be present along with the copper if you want it to react the mercaptans.

2 Likes
1 Like

@ScoobyDoobie

9 Likes