Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

You type in a very interesting way.

lol what the actual fuck. You’re definitely… uhm… yeah you might be the intellectual version of @trumper, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

One could take some butane that we know isn’t producing the problem and introduce propylene to the solution and see if we can recreate it that way. That would be the best way to narrow it down, or at least eliminate the possibility. If in fact it wasn’t the propylene

7 Likes

None of this is the difficult part. He’s explaining to us how to process logical thoughts…. we definitely know how to test our hypothesis

6 Likes

Anyone tested the benzene yet?

1 Like

Only after oderized solvent was accidentally added to a system I was overseeing.

Never preemptively as @Franklin is suggesting.

copper scrubbies cleand up the extract as well. @Photon_noir provided the protocol.

6 Likes

The actual amount of odorant present is so low. I’m sure the amount of copper pads I used was way overkill.

If you prepare your copper mesh like how I showed in the TotT thread the gas flows pretty evenly. I only had to distill one time thru the copper scrubby pads to totally remove the smell.

I tried just stuffing the copper pads in the column but there was obvious gaps around the edges of the pads and it didn’t work so well.

2 Likes

yes…sardonic to say the least…

the 755 post forum is dominated by
misconception of the butane extraction process:
the butane extract is ionic: COO- (minus).

best regards

Can you explain the significance to us laymen? @moronnabis

2 Likes

Ok @DocKnott or @cyclopath can one of you please translate the message @moronnabis is trying to get across. His messages literally seem like they are in a different language I would have dismissed his messages altogether as I can get literally nothing helpful from them but you seem to be liking his posts which makes me think he just speaks on things in a far more educated way than I comprehend. It seems like he is trying to helpful and some messages it almost seems like with his knowledge he could figure it out in no time. Give be an experiment or something or some reading links. So far I can comprehend just about anything I put my mind to understanding but I have really tried in a few of his posts and I am just lost. Maybe it’s just me

7 Likes

https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23335

Is this relevant? I have trouble even researching the stuff you say because I’m so inept.

1 Like

Carbon isn’t a metal so why is butane extraction ionic in nature?

1 Like

I spun a side discussion off:
“Butane works but no theory! a few dozen hints”

some of what is there may help…
basically the thinking of the “butane extraction forum”
is fundamentally flawed.
This fact does not solve your “chalk problem”.

What form of THCA does Butane extract?
You all need a short course on weak acids, pK values
pH control of ionization, salt formation and solution dimers
or ion pair complexes…The people you want to explain things seem to be all Ph.D.'s as all this is somewhat
routine for the trained chemist…but admittedly I have
been trying to familarize a limited audience of the details involved.
addendum 4 in the post is the final reference.
the solution form is ionic or an ionic complex
suitable to bind to (or exchange with ) a tertiary amine.

This problem only really presents itself in the extraction
of cannabinoic acids from fresh hemp by the butane process. One must be mindful of such aspects
in the purification and crystallization steps as well. So if you are Diamond mining. one really needs to understand some of these esoteric
aspects of solution chemistry. Hopefully a general awareness will become diffused throughout the community.

6 Likes

Ok so I’m familiar with some of these from AP chem I took in highschool
Still trying to grasp how they relate but I appreciate the continued info.
Weak acids - my understanding is they do not completely give up all H+ to a solution.
pKa is the measurement of acidity. I know there is a correlation between pKa and pH as it relates to ionization. Salts are formed by opposite ionic charges interacting together.
Definition of a dimer is " a compound formed by the union of two radicals or two molecules of a simpler compound specifically : a polymer formed from two molecules of a monomer."
Definition of dimer - Merriam-Webster
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dimer&ved=2ahUKEwiPuIPeyPbzAhXLpZ4KHayaBlEQFnoECCIQBQ&usg=AOvVaw31jeyOv_T9rD0hpkaSb5Cg

Dimers and the correlation of the above info is where I’m lost. Are you suggesting there is thca salts being formed. I would expect thca to be a weak acids. How could an acid exist as anything other than a positive ion. Maybe that’s where I’m losing you? Again my highest level chemistry was as a 17 year old on an online class alone so please try to dumb it down for me.

3 Likes

2 Likes

So what happens if something is added to the solution to negate the acidity from THCa in solution?

Is this where salt formation from Ca, K, and Na comes into play?

I’ve only ever thought of PH being a factor with aqueous solutions. How does it work in hydrocarbons?

4 Likes

So when we talk about pH of thca because it is non aqueous we should actually talk about the pKa?
I found this thread from three years ago

@moronnabis are you suggesting I may see a different pKa between my standard thca crystals and the chalk diamonds?

5 Likes

We recommend starting with a thorough residual solvent test. Has there been a test result posted on this yet?

1 Like

pH is only applicable in aqueous environments or protic solvents. pKa (pH at which other acids dissociate) similarly describes the ionization state which also requires protic solvents. Substances can be protonated or deprotonated in an aprotic solvent but they aren’t likely to change that state in the absence of H+ or the conjugate base in solution.

disclaimer: not an organic chemist but I played one once or twice

3 Likes