Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

that would be my expectation.
Moreover, I would assume he meant Ph.D. type.

1 Like

Didn’t you get the thca tested already? I ask because if the thca doesn’t show any signs of being the culprit, would it be a good idea to test the Butane mother liquor that has the diamonds growing inside instead? I’d get a sample taken soon as I see the first signs of nucleation as to not get the impurities trapped in the diamonds.

The process of making diamonds from wet pours directly to jars isn’t something we do often here, so my boss isn’t to intrigued with putting too much effort into figuring it out. Or else I’d send all kinds of samples for testing. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury to do that.

From my conversation with our gas provider, I didn’t get much other than they say their chemist thinks it’s the N2 we’re using to which I told him I doubt that’s the problem. They sell solvents but don’t know much about manufacturing, so they play it safe with their words as to not be at fault.

1 Like

Fair enough. I wasn’t aware

1 Like

I don’t know the intimate details of it. Like I said, it’s the only variable that I can find that’s why I’m going down that path

5 Likes

I hadn’t been to this thread in a while. No doubt propylene could affect reactions and offshoot molecules bring produced.

The global COVID situation caused problems with most supply lines, including low pressure propane cylinders, used for propane, Nbut and Ibut. They are stamped to show they comply with DOT specifications; “DOT 4BW240”. The 240 shows the working pressure of the container.

Propylene requires a higher working pressure in the tanks, 260 psi. These tanks are typically stamped “DOT4BW260”.

It’s entirely possible that when 240 psi cylinders went short, a shoddy fill plant could have put 260 psi tanks into 240 service. If the tanks were formerly in propylene service, they would bring slight propylene residual.

Would those with chalk issues please check their cylinders for the DOT stamp. I hope it wasn’t done anywhere, but I thought it was with mentioning.

13 Likes

How were you removing mercaptan from your gas station propane?

2 Likes

It’s a much better suggestion than the idea that solvent is just cleaner than it used to be. Wasn’t that your suggestion, moron nabis?

1 Like

( Search results for '@franklin mercaptan' - Future4200)

5 Likes

yes, when attempting to delineate what may be the simplest
example of the chalk problem as defined by Duke and Big oil, eg BHO extract with pre 2021 butane vs post 2021 Butane, followed by precipitation from concentrated sauce in mason jars …???..
the former yeilds “normal crystals” the latter yeilds crystals that “chalk up”…

The standard moronic guess would be:" there is something
“added” to the post 2021 butane" and the “counter intuitive”, moronic guess would be: "something has been removed from the pre 2021 butane pre-2021 "
The two hypotheses are couched in a greater playing field
of ignorance due to ignorance of exact nature of crystal form of the THCA (X?) crystal itself, and the report that chalk
tests out to be 90% plus THCA…i.e., the prevailing view
that the desired “crystalline diamond” substance is "pure THCA-H protonated " form anything similar to THCA crystals, purified with an HCl wash step and analyzed by x-ray diffratcion studies, is itself a moronic concept.
Now 727 posts later, all of a sudden it is propylene…
good luck with that.

2 Likes

Would it make you happy if I did it in mobile and vapor phase? And do you have anything that shows any variables that could point at it being anything else? There’s nothing. We have coa’s showing it being the only variable from before having the problem, to now having the problem. Seems like a pretty solid hypothesis to me. Now, once we get some testing done on our samples, we can at least rule it out, or confirm. Do you have anything better to contribute to the finding the solution

7 Likes

Dred: it does seem like an excellent lead.

just add propylene to pentane and see if you can reproduce the chalk.
buy a tank of liquid propylene and do your extraction in
pure propylene at the appropriate temp and pressure.

evaporate and see if you have chalk…

I am suggesting ways to easily test the hypothesis
and get to the answer.
If propylene is the answer…I am happy…
I am only pointing out that it appears from the results of that paper, passing a mixture of butane and propylene over
x13 , does not result in a separation of butane from propylene. isoButane selectively washes propane and propylene from x13.

X13 may do the trick…but it would be used in a pre-distillation of Butane step?
Or a CRC like step?

X13 may work either way, but whether or not it is due to
removal of trace propylene is another question.

go for it! I encourage you to follow up.

In answer to your question “anything better”:
no.
I have no idea what you are doing! And I expect you will
CRC the matter further complicating the issues.

But I hope it works. Get the business back on track…and
we can always think about details later.

best regards.

addendum: "And do you have anything that shows any variables that could point at it being anything else? "

I have posted at least a half dozen suggestions concerning
pH control in aprotic solutions, ion pair extractions, solution dimers, and divalent cation dimers…questioning the entire
concept of extracting a carboxylic acid with a pK of 3.5 into
butane from biomass, a situation complicated by intramolecular h-bonding to an ortho-phenolic which affords multi-forms in solution… so when the bho people claim they are crashing out “crystalline thca” from bho terps…one has to wonder a bit…and then claim they see “chalk” formation…

you ask: do I think there are other “variables”?
give me a break.

find me a single scientific reference for MNR or Xray diffraction of THCA that does not use a pH less than 3.0 wash in the preparation of crystalline THCA- H+ form.

yes. "THCA " is really soluble in butane at -40C…that is why we use -40C butane to extract biomass…capisce?

2 Likes

true dat!

If I didn’t feel like the village idiot before reading it, I do now…

it seems like a reasonable working hypothesis to me…and a testable one.

Although I doubt that “adding” propene to pentane crashes is feasible, or finding it in pentane mother liquors is likely (given the BP).

@Franklin’s failure to make chalk when using “mercaptan remediated” high propene blends would also seem problematic…

6 Likes

Well in my case, the gas station propane was shot into a collection pot that had heptane in there. I recovered the propane from this and then jarred the heptane to make diamonds.

That could be why I didn’t see the chalk?

8 Likes

great.

throwing that data point out helps :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Yes becasue using pentane or heptane seems to make diamonds without chalk.

4 Likes

I threw it out in that tricks of the trade thread.

4 Likes

ok …more interesting data…our previous note on even/odd
carbon numbers…so propane, pentane and heptane
do not make chalk. Any observations out there on n-hexane?

3 Likes

I though I had that section covered for all of us

2 Likes

So it’s not benzene now it’s propelyne?

We have batch sugar and sauce that wasn’t purged on purpose being tested results Tuesday testing for benzene

They were recently sourced tanks from solvent first and high precision gas

4 Likes

Bro I’ll get you hooked up with @GasLogix-Adam. You won’t have to worry about anything

5 Likes