HVAC Uvc light diy and portable uvc light filter box design

Here is a hvac UVC light install diy.

Please NOTE, UVC is extremely dangerous to human, animal, and plant health. Under NO circumstances are you to expose anyone or anything living to direct exposure. PPE 100% covering and special glasses are a MUST if exposed. It’s easier to just power off the ballast!!

Above is the ebay link to the units I use. I’ve purchased 25+ units from this person.

Locate the spot on your hvac ductwork you want to have the unit secured to. Make sure there is at least 14" clearance for the bulb. You must place the light at least 2’ from the filter or the light will degrade the filter into dust after a period of time. You can place this before the filter, or after next to the A coil. Next to A coil is best, as it will kill any molds on the A coil itself (if any).

Drill a 2" round hole using a hole saw or dremel.

Test fit the uvc light and ballast for fitment. Mark the 4 holes to secure the ballast to the ductwork . Either drill 4x small holes or just use self tapping metal screws and secure ballast to ductwork.

Apply safety warning stickers for future reference for the hvac guy if he need to work on the hvac system.

Plug in, turn on. Tape over any light leaks or pin holes. I use 3m hvac tape for all my needs.

Done

There is a way to wire it so it turns on and off with your HVAC system. That’s above my expertise. So mine stays on 24/7. Between the months I dont have my ac or heat on, I just go turn the ballast switch off.

The 2nd pic is of my portable boxes, showing the light from the vent. This light does not come in contact with anything, Just illuminatinated to show.

19 Likes

NICE!! thanks for sharing!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! It’s going to to wonders for the air quality at my place. It’s an old house with a leaky basement, and this is cheap enough to install in a rental. Very nice @Demontrich!

1 Like

The blue light from the vent isnt bad too look at?

Nice write up. Thanks.

This link is a somewhat unrelated topic, as it is different technology, but I could see demand skyrocketing in light of recent current events.

Far uvc is safe for humans

@drake
I dont stare into the vent at all. I dont think reflective light is harmful (light coming out the vent) vs direct bulb exposure.

1 Like

Heres a basic schematic of the uvc boxes I make for clients.

I cant find the pdf version with all my measurements, but this will do for now.

Please ask any and all questions, I dont mind at all. This is for a portable box, can be moved anywhere you like.

Home depot 6" duct fan, hvac grate, 3m hvac tape, 13w uvc ballast/light setup (NO OZONE!!!)
and a cold air return piece, rivets, and 2 sheets of metal (cut to fit in spots)

9 Likes

Fyi, totally off topic, but you’ve been giving so much info out lately. You got my mom vote.

Back on topic, how fast is the air supposed to run through these boxes for them to be effective? Would too much flow not give the uvc light enough time?

4 Likes

This is why I use a duct fan vs a high output fan like used for carbon scrubbers. Those are too fast and may/will not kill all the bad stuff.

At my grow, I have 1 light in my hvac system, and 3x portable boxes. At home I have 2x lights in my hvac.

5 Likes

Here’s what I plan on using for my grow room box. https://www.homedepot.com/p/17-5-in-x-28-in-Return-Air-Box-Assembly-RAB-17/202771116

1 Like

@Demontrich Ty so much for all help with this. Got it put together.

3 Likes

Perfect!

Edited

Leave run 24/7. Bulbs last about 1yr on 24/7. I always have spare bulbs in case. What model/type did you grab, and what watt bulb?

1 Like

(not that you were talking to me, but)
I just ordered this bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08817J5CL/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_6UxWEb1S1B5N4

I am assuming it will be ok. I didn’t think to ask anyone here first.

I hope your using this bulb in a very secure and light proof box. IF NOT, expect cancer to grow on any skin that’s been exposed, go blind (immediately) or see spots only after a few seconds of looking at the bare bulb that lingers for hours, days, or permanently.

Bare bulb exposure will also kill plants, and anything thatbisnt metal will degrade.

I did not realize the box had to be metal. Can I glue foil to the inside of a plastic box?

Yes and no. Uvc will degrade the tape.

And that’s a 25w bulb. That’s freaking large. I rock 13w bulbs.

Look at my uvc box diy for a good material, or go to a hvac metal place, have them custom make you a box with partitions/diverters out of cold air return ducting. I posted that box as well.

Safety 1st with uvc or deadly consequences will (not if WILL) happen.

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for all the help.

Maybe a metal trash can would work as a box?

You need air movement to filter the air. 2 holes, 1 for fan, 1 for venting the air. A garbage can isnt gonna work. You need to build a box with 3 channels (like an S).

I posted my diy boxes openly to help everyone. Please read theu those for the best and safest diy options.

2 Likes

Anyone combining UVC with ozone for ozone destruction? Been wanting to do it to our irrigation water for a while and I imagine someone in this nuthouse has done it before

1 Like

Is the purpose of the s shaped channel to block the light from escaping through the air holes?