HVAC Uvc light diy and portable uvc light filter box design

Sort of. Picture a rat maze at a lab. But make a box with only 2 partitions, and 2 holes. 1 for a fan, other for a vent. Fan pulls in air, air passes over uvc bulb and cleans on contact, then clean air goes out the vent.

I posted many pics and drawings of the boxes.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am obviously a little dense as far as mechanical things go.

I just bought the metal ducting to piece together a standalone unit. Couldnā€™t I paint the inside with a black spray paint to absorb light instead of reflect it out? Rustoleum says uv resistant, but I donā€™t know if the intensity of the bulb would still fry off all the paint.

You answered your question right there not uv proof

1 Like

No

The uvc will degrade anything not metal.

Uvc is very hazardous to people, plants, animals, and non-metallic items.

Over time, it will turn stuff into a powdery dust.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. My problem is that metal is reflective. Right around the bulb, that is a good thing, but afterward I want the light to be stopped somehow, and not just keep bouncing down the duct.

Btw there was a brief piece on npr today about split ac units spreading coronavirus because they donā€™t bring in fresh air. The interviewee talked specifically about the benefits of uv light sterilizers in air ducting.

1 Like

Those split units are awful I was in a apt complex that spent 2 mill on doing all the buildings they lasted 4 months before they had to take them out because of mold and mildew I lost a couch and a bedroom set fuck those things. The only good thing those are for are in the desert and cabins or trailers with little use

This is why you need to build channels in the box.
Heres a sketch of it Iā€™m sure I posted in the thread.

1 Like

Thanks. I am assuming a cheap ceramic socket will be fine. Do you think the ceramic would degrade?

My kit came with a ballast.

I ended up ordering a metal socket that looks like it was made for uvc bulbs. Hopefully it will arrive this week.

Meanwhile, in related news:
Company is some penny stock junk, but it did triple overnight, .001 to .003 (I do not have a position, this is not stock hyping)

@Demontrich Took my hepa filters out of the box and did a little tinkering. Two 25w uvc(no ozone) bulbs in an 8 x 6 x7 box.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thatā€™s a lot of light!

2 Likes

I finally hooked up the light box I made for the 25 watt bulb. It is 4" ducting and the bulb is in a 5" tee. The elbows swivel. I glued all of the joints together so it canā€™t fall apart.

5 Likes

Damn got all fancy on us, looks sweet.:100:

3 Likes

Damn you made it on your bed. I sleep on the couch a lot too.

3 Likes