Making an air scrubber

With an air scrubber, I wouldn’t think the pressures in the room would change much. I’m running a 3000 cfm exhaust fan. That’s where mine is coming from, not the scrubbers. I mentioned it to point out need to balance air flow. I didn’t mean to add confusion or get off topic.

1 Like

I don’t see why people want to exhaust to another room.

If you want to clean the air in a room, just run it without ducting in or out of the room.

If you have exhaust to another room then you are just replacing that air with new air and there’s no point in filtering the air.

If you want to restore the air quality in another room, just move the scrubber to a new room. Run some extra fans to improve circulation and agitate any dust so it can get cleaned while the scrubber is running.

2 Likes

Exhausting outside.

Maintaining air flow since he doesn’t have dehumidifiers at the moment. Running an airscubber in a room with highly saturated materials and high humidity will do nothing to help the dry down. That room will still mold out. Regardless of the air scrubber “helping air quality” you will still have microbial growth form due to saturated materials and RH

If he had dehumidifiers in place I would agree with you!

4 Likes

I’ll def hit you up on the offer!

I’ll text ya about that in a bit.

And I have negative pressure running now down there.

I can see the plastic sucking in on the doorway I have taped up. Right now because it’s dry out I’m pulling air in from the open basement windows.

1 Like

That’s what I would be doing, utilize the dry air as much as you can. If the containment is pulling to hard cut an x into it, to relive pressure and allow more airflow from the unaffected area. You can tape a furnace filter over hole if you want, but it’s really extra since the room is pulling negative pressure.

Another good thing for containment’s are those stick on zippers. Make for easy in and out and seal things up a little better than a double flap style.

2 Likes

I completely forgot about those, getting one now for sure

1 Like

What’s the dimensions of those filters?

Imma start planning this box lol.

I will measure them here today. Splitting wood right now haha

Should be in the next few hours

1 Like

Here’s one of mine. The inlet side is the bottom on this one. It’s at the entry door to the lab from the office. Looks like I need to wash that bottom one. I just noticed it.

5 Likes

Laminar Flow Hoods use squirrel cage fans typically when you DIY them.

Add a UV lamp to the plans and maybe it could be dual purpose…

2 Likes

I remember people talking about building those for mushroom cultivation.

I’m actually getting excited to do this haha, my gfs dad has a proper shop space we can use too

1 Like

Lol I use a shop vac for mine.

2 Likes

since youre dealing with mold isnt exhausting a good option other than scrubbing/ just get it OUT Get a 12 inch centrifugal and hose. filters can filter but if you put all the mold 10 feet out the house then al the spores the fan draws in are gone. If youre looking long term id do same but put the fan in a box with a carbon filter and uv light which im totally unfamiliar with uv light. Havve you considered a vacation and using ozone?

I get that but why filter it at that point? If you were exhausting to an uncontaminated room I’d see the use of a scrubber but to just exhaust outside you could just use longer flexible ducting and direct it outdoors and away from any inhabited areas. I’m not experienced with hazards involved with water restoration projects so I may be missing something but cleaning moisture and debris from air you’re just blowing outside seems about as practical as vacuuming the front lawn

1 Like

I think at that point I’d be using the air scrubber for just moving more humid air out and bringing more dry air in.

In that scenario, I imagine you could just remove the filters all together and still do that.

That’s basically what I’ve been doing the past few days and its been helping. Tonight I’ll have to shut the basement up though.

1 Like

Here’s the uv tek from @Demontrich:

When using uv, you don’t want to have too fast of airflow. The light needs a little time to kill stuff. Wish I could be more helpful with flow rates.

1 Like

I picked up one of these today to add into my flower room. Should help keep the smell down and scrub the air.

2 Likes
1 Like

I have a merv 16 filter and a 1000cfm fan. Hopefully this should make a decent scrubber. Gonna make a housing this week for these.

@Medicine.grower, I have a hepa filter running in my living room, they work decent enough, but don’t really do too much for smells. There’s definitely less dust in the air when I run it tho.

2 Likes

Used the cardboard box the filters were shipped in for now, seems to be doing its job.

4 Likes