How to remove/convert THC in hemp crude oil

Hello everyone, I am new.
thank you for sharing your knowledge … I found many very interesting topics!
I have about 300kg of raw oil extracted with isobutane from hemp.
its values ​​are 3.5% THC and 65% CBD.
I need to reduce or convert the THC to get below 0.5%.
I can also give up some CBD or other cannabinoids, the important thing is that the consistency of the extract remains the same and that the THC decreases.
I don’t have great chemistry skills and I don’t have a laboratory.
However, I can buy some tools but the processing must be relatively simple and I must be able to work a lot of crude oil at a time in order to have my 300kg of crude oil with values ​​within the legal limits as soon as possible.
I am willing to pay for a consultation, but only if the method is simple and the result is sure.
thank you!

1 Like

this is the “standard” solution to your problem: Free (BUT OLD) Hemp Biomass-to-Isolate SOP (complete) using cryo EtOH, wiped film dist., with C7 (re)crystallization

doesn’t get you “same consistency”, does get you compliant.

chromatography will get you past the goal posts, but the consumables and solvent recovery requirements are not inexpensive.

other than chromatography, or crystallization, there really is no way to simply “remove” the THC from your CBD. there are certainly folks who will sell you fancy machines that will degrade cannabinoids using heat or UV light, and THC seems to degrade at a faster rate than CBD, but you’re not going to hit compliant levels that way without sacrificing a LOT of CBD.

if you don’t have the ability to remediate your product, you might consider selling what you have to folks who can.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I use the translator and I struggle a bit to understand what you are saying to me. For me it’s not a problem to sacrifice CBD, the important thing is to lower the THC.

2 Likes

good luck with that…

options:

1. make isolate. gave link to how.
  2. perform chromatography. pointed out cons.
  3. the 3rd option is mostly complete bullshit (don’t PAY for it…)

if English is not your primary language, sifting through this place to find a cheap & effective way of achieving T-free is a huge task. even if you could read what’s here, much of it requires reading BETWEEN the lines, AND insights that probably require formal chemistry training.

you might start here: THC remediation that isn’t chromatography

other reading suggestions:
Subzero Conversion Chamber
THC Remediation - New Reliable Tech
THC Remediation By Degradation (a quick/affordable how to)

10 Likes

wow…how much information in one place! I had at least a basic chemistry maybe I could understand something more … even if English were my mother tongue, because as you rightly say, there are idioms or words between the lines that unfortunately I cannot understand with a translator.
on the 3 methods you recommend, I can answer: to make cbd crystals with the price per kg they have today, it is better for me to buy them.
I am not able to use the column and even if I think that with the help of someone I could learn, it seems to me too long as a method.
on the third topic, that of heat, why do you say it’s bullshit? Doesn’t it work? someone here in Italy says to use a rotovapor and thus convert the thc. in the links you gave me,
I can read: "Do you want to convert a small amount of thc to cbn and reach compliant levels ??? Take a boiling flask with a stirrer or reactor, load the oil and set the temperature to 130-140 ° C and mix the maximum speed, create a gas trap on the outlet to trap the escaping gases and seal the boiling flask and let it run during the test every couple of hours. "
I am not able to read the analysis posted by the author of the post, but from his words it seems to work. you who understand the data and have the knowledge to be able to tell me if it works, what do you think? thank you.

degradation of THC into ?!? (some goes to CBN) is a blunt instrument.

there does seem to be evidence that it CAN work.

it becomes BULLSHIT, when someone tries to charge thousands of dollars for a mysterious apparatus that they claim “removes” the THC.

if it’s your best option, try it. the analytical work you’ll need to do to get it right might cost you a bit (a dozen potency tests or so). the equipment to try is is minimal. Lowering thc by simply Heating to convert to CBN or anything else ? What temperature found? - #5 by thesk8nmidget

3 Likes

Decarb and filter your crude through AC and a celite pack. Load and chill it in a UV reactor loop(build for cheap sub $500). Make cyclopath eat his words. If you can get non decarbed crude clean enough the loop will do some cooler shit too. That typically requires a BHO extraction though.

3 Likes

OP is using hydrocarbons…

I’m good with that, just don’t insist I eat the degraded cannabinoid cocktail that results without showing pristine analytics on it.

1 Like

Even better! Everyone afraid to play around. If your scared to waste send some distilled scrapes or reclaim from the sonicator. Don’t forget analytics first or it’s all in vein.

2 Likes

Hey @MONTANA ,
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for answers.
More importantly, there’s tons of useful information to learn the ways of post processing. Cheers to finding out what will work best for your situation.

2 Likes

thank you all for your welcome and for the answers you are giving me. I would like to try this process with heat. I have some starting analyzes and I will do many to understand the right path. for this job what is the tool that simplifies me the most of the job? from what I understand, we are talking about 130-140 C ° … with a rotary evaporator I can’t get those temperatures, but I could vacuum the air. at what negative pressure and what temperature should I work to have the same conditions of 130C ° at normal atmospheric pressure? I was given some advice … to work with the extract under ARGON…but I don’t understand how it can be done.

@MONTANA , you cannot remove it or convert it via heat only. There’s equipment designed for this post processing.

Titanium oxide suspended in distillate, strong uvc light through quartz tube, agitation and time. That should get thc to cbn in theory, also cbd to cbe?

But really that’s a long shot.

1 Like

this shows me a somewhat complicated operation … I wonder why someone says that only with heat we can transform thc into cbn, and someone says that it is impossible … boh … instead the separation with the column is a complicated operation and you need chemistry studies, or is it feasible with a bit of effort? thank you

Chromatography is very simple. It just requires a LOT of solvent. Which means a lot of solvent RECOVERY.

Lots of discussion on how that can be achieved lying around here as well Eg: Who is king of EToH Recovery?

Activated Carbon will hang onto thca … start there and avoid the heat

1 Like

how can i work with activated carbon?

however some time ago I had done an experiment with the short path at a temperature of 157 degrees. I did analysis after 1,3 and 6 hours. I only got a total decarboxillation and a burnt extract. if I can I put a picture of the results.

Hello, no matter which process you use, directly 157 degrees for a few hours, iwe think it is definitely not suitable.

1. The adsorption column can control THC, but it should be winterized with ethanol + filtration and dewaxing and then desolventized. After that, you can go to the adsorption column, or go to the short path distillation process and then go to the adsorption column.
  2. For the crude oil after winterization + dewaxing + desolvation, the solvent should be removed at a temperature between 45~60℃ first, and then use 110℃~130℃ without any vacuum (even N2 protection) for decarboxylation. When the decarboxylation is basically completed, do not increase the temperature, first increase the vacuum, pump the vacuum to the lowest possible level that the equipment can achieve, and then increase the temperature.
  3. If you does not winterize + dewax, you should also use a lower temperature to decarboxylation first while removing light components (light terpenes), and then distill the cannabinoids under high vacuum.
  4. The flow rate of the adsorption column is about 10~19L/H. It is necessary to mix pentane, hexane or other alkanes with crude oil in a ratio of 1:5, and then pump it slowly, from top to bottom.
    If you find it helpful, you can contact us and tell us your craft ideas, we can help you. Thanks.

many do…

see: Questions for people who decarb in rotovap for further exploration.

1 Like