How to properly use a diamond miner / pressure vessel

whats the whole story on this run? Strain? Indoor? nug/trim?

3 Likes

FF indoor. mandarin sunset

8 Likes

whole plant

5 Likes

How are they so clear?? Nice! Impressive jar tech

4 Likes

proper strain and proper tech

8 Likes

@j12 comes in and shuts the thread down with his diamonds… Lol. I liked the back and forth about what’s been working for everyone in their miners.

23 Likes

Can the minor be used with Ethanol extractions as well with similar results?

1 Like

Yes but it would need to be under a vacuum

1 Like

What’s special about the minor to promote crystal growth? just the cycling of temp? still learning

nothing is special about it per say… Crystal growth is dependent on having a super saturated solution and controlling the evaporation rate of said solution. Miners just allow you to safely set whatever pressure you want and have full control over venting. It also allows you to cycle the temps in a safer fashion compared to jars which can potentially break, not to mention the jars leak a little over time - which is great for growing crystals, but not good for controlling the rate of evaporation. Miners also allow you to pressurize with an inert gas of your choice if you’re looking to have pressure higher than your solvent will produce naturally.

12 Likes

Seems like a fancy toy to me, don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they work, but so would a paint pot from harbor freight and a adjustable prv if you’re worried about jars popping.

They look neat though.

Edit: this is personal opinion, of course people will have different ones.

9 Likes

What temp did you keep your solution under and for how long in order to reach this level of seperation?

Im assuming prv is pressure release valve and you run passive closed loop and use butane? Do you keep your pressure at 15 psi during the whole blast?

1 Like

I’m assuming you must of used a pipette to take out the thc fraction after the crashing seperation then dropped a seed. Could you clarify the pressure of your vessel and temperature you kept it at?

3 Likes

No seed. no pipette. just pour off the terp fraction. i stopped using minors cause jar tech works best.

9 Likes

I haven’t operated a diamond miner so I don’t have practical experience to offer specific to cannabinoids, but I’m sure if anyone needs it there is probably a GLG SOP, so why not just join if you need it?

I would like folks to know that the method is called crystallization. It’s not magic or a secret, it’s a very straightforward chemical phenomenon and anyone can learn how to do it. You can practice with dissolving salt or sugar in water and crystallizing it. It is the same process. There isn’t a right or wrong way, there are lots of different solvents that can work, and it depends on what you are trying to make.

I think a lot of people who are new to the method using low boiling point solvents like butane get distracted by the pressure concept. Pressure will not affect your crystallization, it’s just a byproduct of using a low boiling point solvent in a closed vessel.

Crystallization is practically the same for everything, dissolve a high concentration of solute in a solvent and then change the conditions so that the solute will no longer want to stay dissolved, by either removing some of the solvent so the solute concentration becomes very very high, or by cooling the temperature so that the solvent has less solvating power. The general rule of thumb is that fast crystallization reactions make smaller crystals, and slow crystallization reactions make larger crystals. If you want ultra high purity, re-dissolve your first batch of crystals in fresh solvent and re-crystallize. Every time you crystallize, you lose some of our target compound to the solution (ie., the “mother liquor”), but you lose much more of your non-targets.

You don’t need to be an organic chemist to understand crystallization, but lots of chemistry handbooks you can buy for cheap will explain the phenomenon in detail with some practical hands on guidance!

37 Likes

yes your right about the simplicity of the process but thca crystallization has other subtleties that can differ from the norm. Those subtleties are what differentiate from processor to processor. That’s why some people on here make beautiful diamonds with a well separated terp fraction while most others make a sugar or sauce. it’s not as easy as just dissolving sugar in warm water and then waiting for it to evaporate.

15 Likes

Oh I agree completely, what method you do depends on your target product, and most people are not after 99% pure crystalline THCA. Crystallizing the THCA and retaining the terpenes but not the extraction/crystallization solvent is sort of unique, and obviously terpenes act as a solvent/co-solvent that introduces certain variables. But the scientific principles at play are always the same. I guess the trickiest part must be getting out the butane while keeping the goodies intact!

That makes me wonder, has anyone evaluated the melting point of pure crystalline THCA? Will it melt before it decarbs? That’s probably a relevant piece of information.

8 Likes

yes you are correct the terpenes are a co-solvent and that in my opinion is why some strains do much better then others. the crystallization and separation are done first and after comes the purging of the solvents used. I’ve wondered that as well about the thca melting point but have never done it because of the value of the isolate.

5 Likes

A+ starting material gets this in 4 days or less every time

1 Like