How do I register my name legally so no one takes it?

So the time has come where I want to legally hold the name GroovyOctopusLabs. So like… How do I do that. I know I know use googlefu but I seriously want the forums help with this because there has to be some people here who have registered names.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Time to TM “Capitalism Sucks 420™️“

3 Likes

Trademark through USPTO. There are third party services that make it easy. Use a separate email than normal because you are going to get a million spam emails that look legitimate for things regarding filing. Only reply to .gov emails. A lot of people end up paying fake fees because they can’t tell real from fake. The emails will look totally legit saying you have an urgent filing fee and often come from real lawyers but they are totally unnecessary and just a big modern day scam that’s technically legal because your USPTO filing is legal. Just hit them all with the “report as spam” button and only look out for the occasional .gov update directly from USPTO. This is why it’s not unusual to see junk GMail and Yahoo emails on public application forms even for big corporations.

The rest is easy. Trademarking a name/word is pretty straightforward. You should set up a website and secure the domain ASAP. Then when you apply for the mark you can use it as a first use in commerce. Same for registering as a business (LLC, sole proprietorship etc). Trademark will be like $300-$500, LLC filing is similar depending on state. Domain registration will be like $12-$30. All of the above can be completed in an afternoon without any real experience.

It will probably be an easier process if your site only references hemp during the months leading up to the trademark approval. Securing your trademark in hemp-related businesses is all you probably need. It does not need to be a fully functional website. Just a landing page and maybe place a contact form on it to funnel messages and jumpstart a mailing list.

3 Likes

You can pm me for help
Incfile.com made it a breeze for move weight

It also won me moveweight.com for free vs 12k

5 Likes

This 100%, so much spam.

Trademarks are like patents, you can only enforce it if you can afford it

2 Likes

Can you register your name for the sake of holding on to it until you’re able to set up a business? Cause I have a few plans for the future which is why I want to hold the name.

1 Like

You can register it to your name.

1 Like

Word I’m gonna get on that this year. Thank you @ all for responses.

1 Like

Idk what state your in but dat shit cost alot’to sellda t.h.c. does some states require like 100,000$ retainer just to get the toes in the door. I’ve heard it use to.be like this

I wish I had call name like @GroovyOctopusLabs in jealous…ill buy it from u treefifty

ill sell @StoneD to the highest bidder rn…and its pronounced stoned…not stone d :blush::wink:

2 Likes

I’m not planning to get into the cannabis game. Well yet anyways. I plan on starting to sell cannabis peripherals/paraphernalia like water pipes, home made 3d printed knickknacks, logo t-shirts. Stuff like that to get my name out initially and then move onwards to the cannabis arena.

4 Likes

Ancillary business is smart. Good luck

4 Likes

Hell yeah I’ve think this all the time but never have balls to do it!

Reach for the stars dude

1 Like

Never gonna stop :octopus::green_heart::facepunch:t2:

3 Likes

57dab8f0cd26cd0056d9b1e0-5808563c95cee4003cf1f3b7

Only one way to protect your name

6 Likes

You get regional trademark protection merely from using the mark. Registration is only needed when you want nationwide protection.

4 Likes

Some names are so “special” they don’t really need a trademark

Source: Owner of Gluten Free Buttplugs for Christians.

9 Likes

I wonder if you can do a poor man’s trademark like in the music industry with copyright

6 Likes

$500 is a poor man’s trademark

3 Likes

No mailing yourself some sort of proof of use is what I meant

1 Like