Hot CRC Tek

So I’ve been thinking a lot of what @Griffin.Labs did when he used propane to bring down the Terps first and butane after for thca. From what I’ve gathered the lower boiling point of propane is what first off picks up Terps more because some Of it is in vapor phase as it passes through due to its low boiling point…so what if…

We used a hot crc to pass bho through it and make it behave like propane did. Forcing the butane into vapor phase making it deposit the thca and only be able to carry the Terps down, without having to upgrade our system to handle propane. What cha guys think? I know @GreenMachine_Consult has some jacketed crcs coming in and bizzybee has em already.

19 Likes

Then would you do a second wash of the powders to grab the thca?

I’ve been kinda thinking about the same thing, figuring out how to pull out each separate fraction with the gear I have.

Nice idea man! I’m keeping my eyes on this one!

7 Likes

Yes cold butane behind it to bring down the thca fraction after. I’m just waiting on my crc from @GreenMachine_Consult to start my trials

12 Likes

what about stalling in a hot dewax column?

I’m not sure I follow u can you elaborate more?

1 Like

nvm thought about it more and its not going to work how i thought it would —- only problem i see with this idea is it could clog the crc

If you dewax and collect the fats separate from the crc it should work, I have a “fats catcher” that’s basically 6in 1um killa plate with celite on it. That primes my extract down to 1um and fat free for the adsorbents to work more efficiently. If the fats were in the crc too they would heat up and I could see it clogging as well but if we separate them it might work

9 Likes

Would this not create conflicting pressures? I have gotten the most terps in slab back before I had access to dry ice and had to use the half dump freeze method. (You dump in about half a dump of tane, recover it from tour spool, then. Once all recovered you dump fully through) I believe that this is a similar process to what you are talking about because you are using both vapor and liquid to extract. It also of course freezes the column very well to hang up all those undesirables.

1 Like

So propane to separate the terps then butane to collect the cannabinoids? Two collection vessels to keep them separate? If you run a blend(60/40 let’s say) you could run the first 40% by weight warm(propane vapor) then place your solvent tank in a DI slurry to bring down the butane that’s left(60%). Swap collections via valves and run the remaining 60% as cold as possible. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Damn your puttin this info out there already. I didnt even get to play with the column yet ahhhhh haha

4 Likes

Maybe run a prop heavy mix and then flush the cake with a n/ iso mix into a seperate collection pot.

I was thinking of a similar idea and essentially having a “trap” that could catch terps. Send vapor over the material and as its reclaimed cold trap some terps. May be some solvent trapped as well but after the run you just could let that temp rise and continue reclaiming leaving a terp fraction behind. But idk steam distillation probably faster safer easier

1 Like

I dont think the idea is to run part of your tank and them the next. This is based off a crc thats jacketed. So adjusting your crc temps should be all you need to do

3 Likes

I already run mine warm and rinse with cold solvent. So the idea is that I just collect them separately?

2 Likes

Does vapor/terp run pick up color and does CRC work for vapors? Just thinking on how to run it with existing CLS setups. I am thinking that you only need to CRC the liquid that’s pulling the colors out of the biomass. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You run your crc hot? Not warm.
The idea is to run through hot turning tane to vapor which pulls the terps. Then you turn temps down and pull mains with next flush. With some sort of thing in place to sepearte the fractions

2 Likes

I havent had a chance to try it yet as my column is still on its way.
Id assume you get minimal color from the terp fraction but idk.
And all you need to do this is a jacketed crc.
And i see your point about not having to crc the terps. Which would make them taste and smell better. But i think you need it for phase change

2 Likes

@Griffin.Labs was the one that did this and shared it on the indofab thread using propane. Maybe once he gets here he can shine more light on this topic I hope.

4 Likes

What do you consider warm/hot as a number?

3 Likes

I guess I’m confused. So you blast hot? Not warm the solution?

I followed up with this and was told it was just the way propane ran. Even with no CRC the first fraction through was terps. Again could be that the preliminary solvent vaporizes and is what pushes the terps thru first, could be that the lighter compounds (terpenes) are just more soluble than their cannabinoid counter parts?

2 Likes
7 Likes