High CBN Conversion Methods

Hello, we have a client that needs d9-thc remediation completed. We are looking at the chemical conversion of d9-thc to CBN. We are willing to pay for consultation

Daniel@nrdistilling.com

1 Like

Contact @QGA by direct message for these services

5 Likes

Hi there, You will encounter an issue that many of us going after CBN are experiencing. The J. Nat. Prod. paper requires the use of iodine which is DEA List 1. Chemical companies will not sell this to anyone in the cannabis industry because we are not federally regulated. You will need to find an alternative route or find a way to legally access iodine.

6 Likes

Howdie @anon93688
There seems to be a tech that in crude oil with metal phosfate takes thc to CBN
At not to high thc % without affecting Many other compounds present in the crude
Not sure If a equal amount of cbd gets effected may You can figure iT out :grinning:
IT is this method If remediation that
@meehandw probably refurs to
Not the Iodine path

4 Likes

I believe access will not be an issue for us.

I am not familiar with the paper you mention; is it in this thread? I may have missed it

1 Like

For those worrying about obtaining crystal Iodine because its a DEA listed chemical, Iā€™d like to inform you that it is extremely easy to obtain highly pure I2 crystals with a very simple method.

This is possible using Potassium Iodide (KI), Water, Hydrochloric Acid (HCL), and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).
KI is very cheap, and a useful laboratory chemical to have on hand anyway, as it is used to block radioactive Iodine from getting into the thyroid during a Nuclear incident. Anyway, it is the only thing youā€™ll need to order, everything else is obtainable over the counter (OTC).

I donā€™t have molar ratios in front of me, but here is the process. You should read up on stochiometric amounts if you want to be efficient.

Simply dissolve KI into equal mass of H20, add HCL slowly, and then add a smaller amount of the H2O2. The solution will immediately go brown. This is a suspension of I2 crystals. These crystals can be filtered out using any number of filtration methods, coffee filters work fine. The impure I2 can then be added to a beaker, then a round bottom flask/watch glass filled with ice is placed over the beaker, and the beaker placed on a hotplate and gently heated. The I2 crystals will sublimate directly onto the bottom of the rbf giving very pure I2 crystals. Good luck storing them however, the last time I did this I used a smaller RBF and tried to seal it with paraffin wax, and it took about 2 weeks for it to completely my flask.

Either way I2 is very easily obtainable using a number of methods, but this is a very cheap and OTC method to obtain very pure I2, which is useful in many other chemical reactions as well.

Hope this helps someone! my first post here :slight_smile:

47 Likes

By the way, it is not illegal to possess listed chemicals in small amounts, nor is it illegal to manufacture them. However, buying them can get you on a DEA list. So why not just make it??

9 Likes

Can this be done to distillate that has had the cbd crashed out then as to avoid messing with it?

5 Likes

Your first post is much appreciated kind sir Iā€™ll be trying this out shortly

4 Likes

I didnā€™t know it was easy to remove CBD from THC distillate so easily but if you could, I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t work.

2 Likes

To completely what your flask?

2 Likes

Woopsā€¦ to escape. Even though its a solid it sublimes (turns straight from a solid into a vapor skipping the liquid phase) very easily. Keeping a gas in a bottleā€¦ is tricky. Plus it erodes steel easily so maybe better to be used fresh.

Its a fun experiment regardless, produces very purple shimmering needles.

3 Likes

What method are you referring to?

1 Like

Paper says 70% conversion. That is good if the price stays high. At a certain point, it will obviously be not worth it to convert certain cannabinoids to CBN. Anyone know of a price for CBN/kilo? Iā€™m doing some experiments now and will update.

1 Like

A Whole bunch

2 Likes

Use the search bar You lazy :grinning:
But the average CBN isollate go s for 55k per kilo

3 Likes

Gentelmen the Iodine route is for working with pure compounds NOT for crude oils
So Please don t go dropping Iodine in your crude for iT Will react with a lot more than only the THC

13 Likes

absolutely. at some point this will not be a viable solution for synthesizing CBN.

2 Likes

another issue with the reported CBN conversion is that is dependent on CBD conversion to THC prior to oxidation to CBN. that first conversion is the rate limiting step and is the reason why people might be seeing a mixture of d8,9 thc and CBN as their final product.

9 Likes

How about starting with thc a diamonds then decarboxilate and move on from there ?

2 Likes