High CBN Conversion Methods

What about cbd to delta 8 conversion with iodine next run?

1 Like

if you have any THC I can run this reaction and let you know.

Iā€™m about to try to isomerize thc in my cbd disty into delta 10a, if this works it could be a fix to thc remediation.

9 Likes

:eyes: orly meow? You need to stop by my labs bros.

Iā€™ve heard of some labs getting this by accident. Just bleaching?

1 Like

Thanks a TON for this info on synthesis. Iā€™ve been having pretty good luck storing my 50 grams of I2 in a flat bottom 50ml boiling flask and using a ptfe 24/40 stopper. The damn stopper is metal coated in ptfe, so I canā€™t use it in anything that requires heat as Iā€™ve already broken two adapters when it expanded in the glass joint, but itā€™s been working great for sealing and storing my iodine.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been experimenting with is just working up the mother liquor from the Isolate. Waiting on test results now, but as others have mentioned, in a bit worried about it converting the CBD in the mother to THC and leaving me with a solution thatā€™s even higher in THC than what I started with. My next experiment will be with CBD isolate. Then add that into my isolate to achieve around 5-10% CBN, as well as add back the mother so that itā€™s just below .3% THC for a broad-spectrum THC compliant distillate. May not be 55k per kilo, but itā€™s going to be more cost effective than buying a puriflash at this point, and the price of THC compliant broad spectrum distillate is WAY better than the price of Isolate right now.

Another thing I think a lot of people are discounting is the value of high CBN extract. Itā€™s hard to find and demand for CBN is growing. It may not fetch what Isolate is going for right now, but I donā€™t think it would be hard to fetch a few more grand per kilo for distillate thatā€™s up around 30-40% CBN. Nobody has a tincture right now thatā€™s giving 25mg of CBD and 10mg of CBN per milliliter.

6 Likes

Why donā€™t you crash out the isolate and then convert to CBN?

2 Likes

As in convert the isolate to CBN or the stuff from the mother?

2 Likes

Ebay has iodine.

3 Likes

As does amazon, the problem I ran into is itā€™s all coming from China which means is has to get through customs. I got my first package seized by customs ordering 50 grams. The second one got through, but not exactly a reliable source. Plus, as mentioned above, itā€™s a good way to get on a DEA list. Something that doesnā€™t make me all that comfortable given the still very grey area weā€™re all operating in.

3 Likes

Carboxilic acid has done this for me by accident changed 70% of My thc to delta 10 trick is to keep the carboxilic in the solution i did this by placing dry ice in My ethanol solution inside a cls pot with prv 8 bar and then leave all exesive gas escape treu the prv them leave for 24 hours in co 2 rich enviorment then open cls and slowly Evaporate off etho with a fan in open air
Then run SPD with the. Oil
Isomerization to d10 confirmed by national university laboratory
But pfffff
Got My hands on Some CO2 extracted hemp oil today first ph Reading after disolving in methanol and 5% water gave ph 2,8 Wich i believe is deu to carbolic acid left from extraction

13 Likes

I think I remember you mentioning sulfuric acid totally destroying your THC potency in another thread. Do you know what exactly that ended up doing to your D9?

2 Likes

Yeah isolate the cbd crash it out convert the THC to CBN in mommy and then add iso back in

10 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m experimenting with right now and waiting on results for. My concern, since thereā€™s still a considerable amount of CBD in there that didnā€™t crystallize, is converting some of that CBD into D8/9 in the process and ending up with mother thatā€™s higher in THC than what you originally started with.

3 Likes

Sulfuric killed all cannabinoid content to god knows what even CBN got affected :cry: I would try Any less powerfull acid

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t you just like, keep reacting the d9 then to cbn with the same process? Why would the cbd>d9 stop would that then logically be able to be further moved d9>cbn?

2 Likes

I mean, thatā€™s actually a fair point. Though there was someone here who lost cannabinoids from refluxing the solution for 3-4x too long, so you might end up further oxidizing the CBN into something else not recognized. Iā€™ll see if I can find the COA they posted. Strangely, it looked like the THC wasnā€™t really affected much compared to the CBD according to the COA.

3 Likes

Maybe itā€™s time to really step up the cbd crystallization tek? Get as much as humanly possible out? How much is usually left in the mother in your exp?

4 Likes

Around 50% CBD in the mother. Which I guess you could conceivably recrystallize, seeing as some here have achieved crystallization at around 30-40%, but crystallization quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns the lower the CBD concentration gets, so youā€™re always going to be sacrificing yield for purity with this method and thus always end up leaving a considerable amount of CBD in the mother. I havenā€™t experimented with ultra low temps (-80c) or pressure myself, but from what others have reported it seems like those methods simply speed up crystallization and donā€™t really improve yields all that much. Yield is largely dependent on concentration of your starting material, which is why you get better isolate yields with 80%+ CBD distillate than you get with 70% distillate. The better your starting material and yield, the less CBD ends up in the mother.

Another method for CBD removal from the mother is chromatography through something like a puriflash, but at that point itā€™s easier to just remove the THC. Though conversion to CBN is probably a good way to convert that THC into something you can legally sell rather than just having to destroy it.

4 Likes