H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

When it comes to residue it will be isopropanol

1 Like

isopropyl alcohol == isopropanol , same thing

Likewise , ethyl alcohol == ethanol , methyl alcohol (the simplest alcohol) == methanol

1 Like

@mitokid : This is sort of an answer, as I know you are one of the
few people to give this some adequate thought thus your question:
“Was the subject of phase transfer catalysts ever discussed?”

If you dig deep enough into the salicylic acid literature.
you will find some interesting thought…Ijms 21 08298 g010 550

3 Likes

can you elsewher.

We can probably eliminate isopentane as a culprit with a relatively simple experiment

Pour from the same run, into two different jars/miners. Set one above 82.1f to crash and set the other below

Neopentane is lower at 49.1f, a jacketed miner hooked to a chiller could work for that

2 Likes

Over the last few years the extraction industry came to require that cylinders be internally cleaned prior to being re-filled. Almost every fill plant has developed a “proprietary” cylinder cleaning process. Some use physical cleaning. Some clean with fluids of unknown composition. One plant I know of cleans with high pressure steam - a bad idea as it causes the unprotected steel to rust.

Who knows what chemicals a fill plant might use to “clean” the interiors of the cylinders??? A fill plant cleaning the cylinder interiors with a liquid washing agent would have a process in place to ensure the cleaning agent was completely removed from the cylinder prior to filling. That said, mistakes do happen and it’s entirely possible that chemical residue is causing the solvent to be contaminated with one or even several materials.

Has anyone received some good and some bad tanks from the same fill plant?

11 Likes

Can you share the SOP or procedure your fill plant uses to clean and decontaminate cylinders?

4 Likes

Better to take the time and hand clean with isopropyl.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Hydrocarbon Extraction has a Vague Blanket Patent

hmmmm… @moronnabis

2 Likes

I’m afraid I didn’t make my point very well. I’m not saying that our cleaning method is superior to any other method (except blasting the interior of the tank with high pressure steam, which causes as many problems as it resolves). I was trying to illustrate that the medusa stone issue is very similar to the chalking issue in the sense that nobody has compared a full-spectrum analysis of “good” hydrocarbon solvent to supposedly “bad” hydrocarbon solvent. Until that is done, the problem can only be theorized, not proven.

@TheLostBiologist spent significant time and effort into investigating the cause of the medusas. On this thread alone posters have agreed and disagreed with his H2O2 theory, and other potential contaminates have been proposed: sodium citrate, some unknown contaminate in the butane that reacts with H2O2, some unknown contaminate in the butane, and even hydrocarbon contamination with radon gas.

The chalking thread suggested the problem was neopentane, ethylene, propylene, dirty containers and many other potential gremlins.

It sounds like the same fill plant has supplied both good and bad butane. Doesn’t it make sense to do a full spectrum analysis of the gas in both cylinders so that the problem can be isolated and dealt with? Even if the analytical results are close to identical, at least the solvent can be ruled out as the problem.

There are thousands of potential contaminates, but the solvent can’t be tested for the presence of an unknown contaminate.

6 Likes

To state “moved”

Blockquote

could be the curing of gaskets too if they’re running stuff like this

2 Likes

As far as the epdm? I know I am not using them

5 Likes

People are having the issue that don’t even know they are having the issue. Their diamond game was impeccable, nothing has changed. I think the issue is more prevalent then we assume atm. People don’t even know that they have the issue. They are too small or inexperienced to bother chasing down the culprit and chalk it up to the game, no pun intended. Labs that only focus on badder or sauce will never even know they have the issue other than some collection pot crash from time to time. It’s really is hard for me to see something like this pop up and “spread” like it has and to think it was something other than the solvent. It’s like a contaminated water supply. Eventually everyone gets sick. First the people drinking the most…that happened @johnbigoilco was one of the first, then then next largest intakers @dr_terpene, and a lot of you here and myself around almost the same time. then the smaller to the smallest (that’s happening now)

14 Likes

It’s just isobutane. We have to stop using isobutane and it will solve the problem

7 Likes

Not trying to derail this thread and feel free to fork my comment to dumbest thread part two;

I think the government is fucking with us. They know about the stones, they want them gone.

2 Likes

Is there tests between tank and canned tane?

The boof is out there

2 Likes

your point was that different folks clean their tanks in different ways…at least one of which you find “questionable”.

Some of us are information driven. asking IF you can share your tank cleaning procedure is NOT missing your point. it was a request for more data. a polite & reasonable one too.

similar?

Medusa == stones that turn to chalk after forming appropriately
Chalking == Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

I would disagree. if you’ve got a list of hypotheticals, you can set up testable hypotheses. then you test them. one by one.

is it H2O2?

then someone NOT having an issue growing faceted stones simply needs to pour into two different containers as spike some with a little H2O2.

faster crash? Different morphology? do they chalk?

Neopentane? ethylene? Proplyene?
cool a jar and spike it, pour +/- added hydrocarbon suspect.

the only real caveat is that it requires a lab that (still) has their diamond game on point.

without the ability to produce decent sized, well faceted crystals, it’s non-trivial to add ingredients one by one to prove/rule out their involvement.

6 Likes