H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

Umm, by test I meant shoot a tube and see what happens😂

3 Likes

Right so if the gas has a magnesium catalyst now, and it carries over to the gas, it could in turn peroxidize the alcohols we use to clean our machines and collect in our sieves causing reactions in the gas. As in not just the gas. Again, I haven’t heard any better hypothesis that connects more dots than h2o2. I would love to though.

It’s the gas! (And the catalyst it’s carrying)

1 Like

I mean really simply put sure.

Do people not air dry their machines after cleaning them with alcohol?

How much alcohol would need to theoretically be present to have a high enough concentration to form peroxide if the machine is dry? Because I’m thinking there could only be maximum half a milliliter at most being leftover dispersed through every hose and part on the machine by the the time it is reassembled and used.

Not to mention heating portions and vacuuming the system before every run.

3 Likes

we vac our system down after as well, and we dont see any off gassing of etoh.

6 Likes

Iso is more likely to leave a little isopropanol than alcohol

am I missing something…is there a volatile magnesium catalyst
that is soluble in Butane?
please inform.

1 Like

Magnesium and 2-propanol create peroxides. Both highly prevalent in our setting. I’m just saying there are a million ways h2o2 could end up in our consumable products or created accidentally in our work flow. Supposedly silica breaks down h2o2 though. Which I ran alot, which would make me think it would remediate the gas and send the moisture and oxygen to the seive.

1 Like

That’s still not a good control per se as it’s still coming from the same source as the contaminated gas, no?

1 Like

So why not tap some cans of uk whip-it and South Korean neon (I believe that’s where it’s from) to try something not from the same source as the other contaminated gases?

1 Like

Yes, we all need a “defined” butane standard that we can either source
or prepare.

Who says it butane Cody uses 70/30 has anyone had this problem with propane?

2 Likes

I hardly extract anymore, so unfortunately I’ve had to stick to distilling cans when I do. However, I’ve never experienced the Medusa stones or rapid crashing/off-gassing.

I just yelled at a homie who raw dog open blasted a case of cans … Super stable sugar, 0 powder. Was impressed.

2 Likes

I actually just redissolved some old oil to crash out for funsies, and it’s actually been somewhat difficult to crash out. Polar opposite of what I’ve been reading on here.

Edit: For context if it’s not obvious, this was done in a CLS

I don’t have a ton of propane users so not a big sample size but no complaints with straight propane versus the 3 or so that have fast crashing issues with either nBut or Iso.

3 Likes

indeed…just a defined chemical.

Its the gas for sure, I’ve ran the same ntane making crude for months, cleaning out with 99% iso daily, so I dont believe in the accumulation of peroxides converted from alcohol cleanouts, it just does not happen and if it did one of us cheap bastards would have run into this before.

Im about to get a new shipment of gas here in Canada from texas and im nervous its going to bring the medusa stone issues, wanna bet the coa will say its clean ?

8 Likes

Isopropanol is alcohol that’s why people call it iso, instead of the real name, IPA

2 Likes