H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

Chlorine would be an interesting culprit, but I feel in slight amounts we’d be able to smell it like sulfur.

3 Likes

Winter weather causes PM. H202 and chlorine tainted municipal water supply H20. Collected into seive? could answer both wet and dry material machines.

How many people recharge their beads instead of a straight switch?

2 Likes

If one used an empty Prep-HPLC column with swagelok on off valves
at either end…fill it full of x13 and pass butane over it…whether fresh out of tank or recycled …what ever the sample…
turn both end to off position. Now we have a closed system that can safely take pressures to 5000 psi. the entire “column sample”
could be placed in a gc oven…and precisely ramped up in temp…and bled into the appropriate ion spray …quadrapole MS…might be simple method. I am assuming the m/z window does not need to be large…
the light hydrocabon range would do…

the fibers are interesting as are ionic liquids…not to mention there are
examples of salicylic acid derivatives in the latter category. …off topic.

Chalk seems to be real thing when it comes to purified THCA (H) form. The question about “diamond” chemistry seems open to discussion.

Can you take a large amount chalk…redissolve in Pentane…and produce diamonds or “medusa”-stones? Then repeat using Butane.
I would like to know for sure that chalk can produce diamonds…
“diamonds” are just a marketable “product” in the “weedo-market place”.

2 Likes

Basically chlorine and h2o2 would present themselves and be broken down in the process. Leaving little to no evidence as h2o2 is a dechlorinator. Chalky diamonds is a product of moisture as well, which is a product of h2o2 hydrolosis.

2 Likes

You will know its the gas when you get your first fucked tank. I have been working with these growers for years and years. Also multiple labs were running the same material with no issues for months. I thought I was crazy and the only one having problems. Then they got the bad gas and it hasn’t stopped since. It just seems some people are getting the newer gas faster then others. It makes sense that the largest market (California) was the first to see it and in labs that use large amounts of butane. Then the smaller producers started seeing it when their old supply of gas was finally used. @Dukejohnson im pretty sure can run the same material at 2 different locations, one with new gas and one with a 2 year old tank. The 2 year old tank has no issues but the new stuff has all the issues.

20 Likes

Ya idk I’ve said that a few times and it gets ignored. Lots of wheel spinning unless h2o2 is coming from the tanks or solvent I don’t suspect it.

11 Likes

I don’t know how you could read the OP, consider yourself ATLEAST a lab technician, and call it wheel spinning. This dude has probably contributed more to the conversation/issue than anyone else. The best bet for us all to resolve this is to work together. He offers some pretty compelling evidence, and vectors can be very wide.

4 Likes

Maybe because I’ve been dealing with this for almost a year and spoken to at this point probably 30 other people having the same issue. I told OP I appreciate him but there is some massive holes in this theory and the word probable in the title is pretty misleading.
Even the lab OP consulted for chimed in and brought up tons of discrepancies with the original post from their perspective.
I think you are crazy being so sure it isn’t the solvent but that likely has to do with my own year of r&d on this exact issue you have not seen.

9 Likes

“primary and secondary alcohols are peroxidizable. We hope this report is a reminder to the chemistry community that they are and that distillation procedures should take the hazard into account”

We all clean our machines with these… Maybe it is a reagent in the gas catalyzing the reaction?

His h2o2 hypothesis leads to many possibilities that are prevalent to the situation.

“not just the solvent”

it would still be the gas causing the issue it never had before. If its a catalyst in the gas that was never there before. Remember people are running the same material all getting different results.

4 Likes

So the alcohol we’ve cleaned extractors with for years is now causing this? You mention a catalyst in the gas. That’s certainly a possibility, but that’s the gas in this scenario. If the catalyst is in the gas, it’s the gas bro…

19 Likes

damn I can only like that post 1 time

9 Likes

I thought that was implied rofl.

3 Likes

As long as we have definition of what is “wrong” for an undefined
“diamond”. What is the defined assay for “bad butane”…

1. rapid boiling out of tank?
  2. rapid crashing of “medusa crystals”
  3. diamonds that chalk up after weeks of sitting

x13 pretreatment …affords an extraction (with or without? CRC) that
produces good “diamonds”. Not chalk that is 99.5 % or more THCA (H)
presumably. I need a rapid assay for the “mystery compound X” that
is fucking things up…it does not matter whether " MCX " comes from the cannabis-plant of the petroleum cracking plant.
Duke Johnson…has the simplest system…butane plus plant…
nothing else. Extract and pour. He has good butane on hand…and he has bad butane. We can not ignore what he is telling us as well.
I think he gets medusa and chalk with bad (please inform if I am wrong).
But with good butane…you have to realize…that with all the terps , cannabinoids and other compounds in a crude extract…how is it possible
to crystallize anything near “pure”? That is definition of a marketable Diamond.

5 Likes

I’ve spent the past 3 days reading about the catalysts used in the petroleum refining industry. It’s certainly possible that a commonly used catalyst has been changed due to supply chain issues.

Let’s take d8 as an example. I can give you a half dozen different catalysts to make it. All will result in different potencies and different unknowns. I would assume the same is true when refining petroleum.

7 Likes

Blockquote
You will know its the gas when you get your first fucked tank.

Exactly. We just got our first problem tank a few weeks ago.

6 Likes

Ive never been so happy but sad to see it happen to other people. Like I cringe when I see it but part of me feels better to know im not alone. And now it seems the east coast is getting it full on. Just wait 3 more months till all the good gas is gone!

16 Likes

I’m gonna grab a case of imported butane cans and run a test.

4 Likes

Here is a very good check concerning cracking plant contamination
for halogenated alkanes. GC electron capture detector analysis.
Direct assay of butane mixed with heptane…10 minutes. fmole sensitiviry.

2 Likes