H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

2 Likes

@Dred_pirate is there an amount of gas you can run over the 13x sieves at which point they will poison, in other words the extract will start to Medusa?

If so, at this point you would have the maximum amount of whatever they are adsorbing. If you’re going to test some sieves, make sure you load them up like that to give the best chance of detection.

Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

certainly on tract.
similar approach: /doi.org/10.1016/0016-2361(92)90190-Y

Do you mean straight out of the container, or material that was left exposed to the lab air conditions.
I do not understand the COA…what does it represent?
How was it contaminated with denatured ethanol?
I am not sure whether the molecular structure of the x13 will stand up to this…but a couple hour’s run in a self cleaning oven at 750 F or so…should desorb and pyrolyze all organics.
Unless you are using expensive Sigma x13…lesser grades may have an enormous number of chemicals adorbed to the surface…you have SOP cleaning step before use? Then re-bake or something? At least for the attempt to ID mystery adsorbent…a standard and suitable control is necessary. This does not mean you have to use any such procedure in Production…just for this experiment.??? if you just pour some fresh out of jar x13
into a colum…and sort of follow this procedure : /doi.org/10.1016/0016-2361(92)90190-Y
should give a decent unused control.

I’ve brought this same thing up to a friend a few months ago. Has nobody tried tapping cans as a type of control yet? Seems like a great way to narrow the issue down to solvent.

1 Like

I took samples from the stock tanks as part of my method. Always stable.

1 Like

How does no one understand that cannagas basically supplies the entire state of maine and a large percentage of the national market…

It’s not the gas…

Dude took control samples from the stock tanks, and issues appeared first run after distill.

3 Likes

Canna gas is a distributor and I’ll bet they buy from more than one manufacturer.

That just makes the logic deeper. Why is the problem not systemic?

1 Like

If it’s not the gas, a whole bunch of people made the same change to their growing methods in the past couple months…. It’s the gas….

5 Likes

There are 8 shops all in the area of @Codemanmakeshash all use the same gas, same supplier, and SAME BATCH AND DELIVERY DATES. 1 lab with issues.

The evidence is not pointing to the gas with the data provided by @TheLostBiologist

I’ll eat my words if it proves to be the gas. Have we considered it being more than one issue? Could the gas hold a catalyst?

2 Likes

Yes. Could they have changed a catalyst they are using in the manufacturing process due to supply chain issues? Yes, and a likely culprit IMO

2 Likes

From what I was reading, the binding is more from cavity size which is set from the identity of the crystaline structure of the sieve. Molecules with quadrupole moments rather than dipole moments are the preferred adsorbent as well, which is why isobutane has a higher affinity.

As for the fiber, I’d start with those that have been used in polycylic aromatic hydrocarbon or lighter hydrocarbon analysis.

1 Like

If that was the case then why is it that every sample taken directly from the stock tanks are non reactive? It is only after coming into contact with a system that was already having the issue that the solvent became reactive. Nothing straight out of the tank had any issue until it was put into a contaminated system or introduced to the jars known to have been exposed to the h2o2.

4 Likes

The h2o2 makes alot of sense to me. Especially considering that PM is a huge issue, and guess what the #1 solution for that is when sending off to the lab if you don’t want to tell anyone… h2o2 dip… Bunch of boof gets run, collected in the seive and bam, that clients dirty secret is out. But why hasn’t this happened in the past? h2o2 has always been a solution to mold… Is it the amount of amateur growers and the proliferation of the market? Or a possible catalyst from the gas?

4 Likes

Actually there’s 3 labs within 20 minutes of eachother all experiencing issues at the same time…

Also I have yet to see any type of batch number on a cAnnagas tank

5 Likes

My stock tank was reactive as of yesterday not as bad as my work tank but definitely reactive

2 Likes

I just meant you are all getting the same “shipped” gas. Maine’s market isn’t mass, Cali, Oregon. It’s all coming in off the same pull/rfp

The butane that Cannagas get in Maine is quite often a different supplier for butane. Their California distribution and Maine distribution get stock from different places when need be.

2 Likes

It’s also odd to me that the reaction we are experiencing with Medusa stones is alot like chlorine and h2o2 hydrolosis producing hoci and oci and salt(rapid crystaline precipitation)…

1 Like