Gummy potency problem

I gave you the math. use your numbers and show your work (if you want it checked).

then tell us how much extract would be required to meet that goal.

given I guessed 75% and you used 70% you’re not at 20mg yet…

solid move. distillate is already decarbed, and will usually impart less taste. you also use less of it as it is more concentrated. it should also be less expensive that single strain top shelf concentrates. it’s not a necessity. you could also make your own ethanol extracts from flower/trim/hash.

1 Like

correct me if i’m wrong but i want each cube at 50mg i’d need 12,500 mg total so i’d need basically double what im using?

1 Like

yep. 12500 mg of THC. should give 250 ~50mg gummies.

how much of your 70% THC is that?

no 14g of your 70% won’t cut it…it will almost get you 40mg

1 Like

if im not mistaken should take 17 grams if my math is correct, no?

close.

17000mg x 0.7 => 11900mg

11900mg divided by 50mg/gummy => 238 gummies.

11900mg divided by 250 gummies => 47.6mg per gummy.

if you want 250 50mg gummies you haven’t done the math right.

number of gummies x desired potency in mg == total THC mg required.

total mg THC required divided by potency of extract gives you the number of mg extract required.

4 Likes

I have found when I make gummies if I have any vairance on effect it typically was an issue with decarbing. Sometimes they seem to take a long time to come on and its a more sleepy high not as interesting just a relaxing vibe but when you decarb correctly they come on fast and strong. Where you feel your face tingling… I go by the well circulated decarb chart but I have realized that you need to set your oven to a higher temp on the chart and decarb for longer than you think. I set my oven to 300 f and decarb for 30 minutes. I check the oil temp with an IR thermometer and this typically gets it to 250. According to that chart 250 for 25-27 minutes gives you maxiumum decarboxylation. But you need to increase your time to account for the amount of time it takes for the solution to get to that temperature. If you just throw it in the oven for 25 minutes it probably only got to 250 for the last 10 minutes. Or thats how I think about it. I went through a phase where my edibles weren’t hitting the same and by increasing my decarb temp and time I seem to achieve consistent results.

1 Like

thanks man! truly appreciate the info

could you link me this chart possibly? and thats what i noticed with my gummies is even when i did get high it wasnt the smack you in the face high like im used to with edibles it was just a really slumped high

don’t decarb in an oven. air is a lousy thermal transfer fluid.

put a thermometer IN your oil. measuring the temp of the device driving the temp of your oil does not tell you the temp of your oil.

you can boil water over an open flame in a paper cup. because the cup can’t get much hotter than the boiling point of water until there is no more water.

I decarb “home use” quantities at 100C, because it’s easy to obtain reliably. however, without a way of measuring the endpoint, ie visible bubbles, or better bromocresol green, you’re always going to have variation in decarb level because not all extracts are the same (residual solvents/water/terpene profile).

1 Like

ok for simple home use, would maintaining a beaker of mct/flower at 245F stovetop until the bubbles stop be a rational decarb method? at least until i get some bromocresol? I am currently stuck doing edibles only due to reflux laryngitis

never tried decarbing flower in oil. nor after diluting extract in oil. I’m not convinced you’d be able to see the bubbles escaping the (ground?) flower, but it might work.

I’d stick flower and MCT in a crockpot O/N and call it good. maybe compare calculated potency to “experience”.

how are you currently extracting?
what temp?
how long?

any indication you’re missing your mark?

Why are you not :joy::rofl:

1 Like

Currently i am doing everything wrong, by tossing flower in the oven for 245f for an hour and then powdering and mixing with mct to be later baked. I cannot say i have any indications of lost potency, but am simply guessing I am based off of inefficient methods of decarb. My only issue with a crock pot is usually I am trying to make it to medicate that day, but i guess i will get a healthy dose of patience. You are likely right that it is gonna be more efficient to crock pot it

oil and flower in slow cooker. go to bed.

strain meds in the morning. get baked.

1 Like

lol strain. You must think i am not a savage or something. ty for the help

1 Like

French press. ready to add to your coffee.

1 Like

I personally dercarb all my meds by heating coconut oil in a pot to 250-275 F then pouring my flower / shake or dabs in and wait until the co2 bubbles stop forming its much faster with flower . I typically go for 30 -60 mins for a complete decarb with this process then its done fast simple effective . My theory has been short and fast equals less oxidation of cannabinoids as opposed to the low and slow method just my own personal theory 1 hour of high heat versus 4-12 hours of low heat . Also its a very quick and easy if you have a temp gun or candy thermometer. Been doing this for 5+ years all my friends rave up and down about how potent my edibles are even those who "don’t get high off edibles " . When using flower i take the volume of coconut oil i infuse and split it into thirds so i cycle fresh coconut oil 3 times to ensure removal of all cannabinoids . I have been in a rush for my goodnight meds so i heated oil to 295 and decarbed in 20 mins before with dabs . It can be done any way just personal preference and how long you want to wait

I decarb in my vacuum oven with no vac pulled. I check the temp of the oil itself using an ir gun throughout the process just tracking how long it takes to get up to temperature. You decarb in water or ? should I decarb with vac pulled? I just had to look up a youtube of the paper cup to believe it lol

how I decarb depends on volume.

for small amounts a water bath at a boil…
of medium amounts, stainless vessel on an induction burner with over-head stirring.
large amounts, purpose-built reactor. with agitation and possibly vacuum (if going to distillate).

inline would also make sense at scale.

IMO a vac oven works, but is not really the right tool for the job. if you’re also devolatilizing pre-distillation, having the vac on can be useful. I’d rather decarb in my SPD at 150C

3 Likes