Gummy Formulation - Recipes and References

Sure. If you are going that route, there’s that full line for $90k from China you can buy, then make 250k gummies per day with 2 people. Not a bad option. They just won’t have perfect shape.

Otherwise, flood & scrape. My labor cost making gummies by hand is $.02 - $.03, and I play high-margin lower-volume game. Even if I could cut the $.02 to $.03 out entirely it would be meaningless, really.

I’m not buying all the fancy equipment. But if I needed hundreds of thousands of gummies per day, I would.

1 Like

What do you mean? Eject pin indentation?

I presume.

Hey man thanks again for all your insight on everything !

1 Like

I’m definitely loving the flood and scrape method but as you stated with your hard candy’s it would be beneficial in multiple ways to have the heated funnel. Layering flavors would be great! I’m still dialing in flood and scrape but have come a long ways from my first couple pours.

1 Like

Quick question for everyone too…when formulating a recipe during my extensive reading I was reading a patent that stated they arrived at their final formulation by including the weight of active water in each ingredient as part of the overall weight of the recipe…and I wasn’t considering the roughly 25 or 30 percent water that may be for example inside my 62de tapioca syrup. Should I be including that percentage of weight in water for the overall consideration? Or just any added water on top of those ingredients? If I bloom in say a fruit puree I would imagine I would be smart to probably consider the specific amount of water weight for that puree.

As long as you hit target brix idk why that would be a big issue

2 Likes

Hmm yeah maybe at that point it just comes down to it being a matter of how long a batch cooks for before you actually reach the desired brix level. I’m thinking if I formulate the recipe right ( obviously won’t be the same for every flavor) I can cut down on cook time to get to where I want my brix level to be. Ill probably just stick to measuring the water content by whatever liquid I’m blooming in .

Do you have a refractometer? @pdxcanna is right. Work backwards.

1 Like

Yes I use a refractometer ! Usually what happens when I add my bloomed gelatin to the sugar slurry is my brix goes from above 80 and dives down to like 60 which requires a lot of time of heating high 100’s around like 175 to get the moisture out to get the brix back up to around 80. I think with a slightly different recipe utilizing a small percentage less gelatin i.e like 7 or 7.5 instead of 8/8.5 and like 17 percent water content should get me to where I wanna be properly hydrating the gelatin but not adding too much extra water to the recipe. I’m thinking I’m gonna be doing a lot of experimenting with blooming in fruit puree to see how that works out (or if it can) been also reading some incredibly smart people using applesauce as their secret ingredient for multiple reasons they say and they even bloom the gelatin in it with no added water to the recipe

1 Like

Gotchya. Wish I could help more. Never made gelatin gummies.

1 Like

I’m interested in some consulting how can we get in touch

1 Like

Dm sent!!!

That makes sense for sure. I definitely got good results so far from my bold maker molds but having a little issue here and there with skinning on the surface of the mold still. I’m thinking it’s just a little tweaking in my recipe or how hot I pour but I’m gonna give @darkcitymolds a try as well as @mgucci to see how they compare and if the quality of either boosts my performance.

Oh so you do pectin huh?

Yessir. Only reason not to is it’s a bit more difficult to learn.

2 Likes

But so worth it once you do learn it!

3 Likes

For sure I’ve done some studying into pectin for the future and will venture down that road when the proper time comes haha. Honestly tho I love using gelatin because for us non vegans gelatin is actually super super healthy and I personally use grassfed organic gelatin for health benefits to everyone consuming! They ain’t even gotta know it’s good for them hahaha because sometimes what someone doesn’t know won’t hurt them (will benefit them ) :joy:

1 Like

You’ve mentioned this a couple times… can you explain the difference in “health benefits” from grassfed gelatin vs grain?

3 Likes

Not to mention gelatin is thermoreversible and pectin isn’t lol. You mess a batch of pectin gummies up and it’s bye bye to your concentrate.

1 Like