GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES LETS BURN DOWN ALL THESE TESTING LABS đŸ”„đŸ”„đŸ”„ a real D8 Discussion

Lab errors are going to happen from time to time. And here’s a little secret
 Happens all the time in water testing and other “proven” fields.

What’s the difference? When you’re testing water supplies, the labs take a bajillion samples and by law of averages things come out ok even if one or two are funky.

No industry in the world takes so few samples to validate such high value of product. The idea that a lab can run two duplicates and quantify a 100 kg batch and get it spot on every time, is ridiculous. But that is what the cannabis industry has lobbied to have be the standard for it’s labs, and as a result, a single screw up completely distorts the results.

10 Likes

Then this is a city/ county/ state issue. Bring this to the attention of the BBB, or AG. A testing site MUST be held accountable for any and all reports. If said testing facility “doesn’t know” what a certain peak is, then it should be reported as such (mystery peak), not shown as “just what ever”.

Edit
X2 on labs that are jokes. We set up a lab here in Michigan about 6yrs back. From the same damn cola, split into 3 parts. 3 seperate strains were listed when filling out the paperwork. All 3 came back +/-5% of each other.

How the F does this happen?

That’s within their margin for error. Lol there was a isolate that was like almost 107%
 I’m no genius, but I asked the lab and they test over sometimes because there’s a range for the margin of error. So when im. Making compliant cbd is it -6.7%thc .1thc or 6.1thc seems fishy, its fishy is all I will say

1 Like

That’s not how it works. The margin of error is proportional to the value being measured. So reading 6% high on a 0.1% value would be 0.106%. Not 6.1%

6 Likes

You should see the ‘quality’ coming out of dispos in FL. Absolute garbage. If out of 10 trips you come up with 2 good bags and 3 other decent bags you’ve had a good run. Better off taking your chances on the BM than purchase legal hay in FL. A d boy wouldn’t stay in business pushing the same shit dispos do. Concentrates are decent, lack any consistency tho

2 Likes

If fla law on mj wasnt so FN crazy bad, I’d be back home there.

Ship my cuts to me.

1 Like

I think you know what I mean

Ooof

we have also recently had and experience similar but with our flower, standard protocal we sent flower samples to the lab for results knowing that we dont use pesticides at all in our controlled indoor environment.
but never the less we need to pay to prove it. so we do. results come in with incredible amounts of pests etc
 we scratch our heads, the lab tells us its in our environment we need to spend tons of money now swabbing everything in the building.
we decide to send the same batch of flower to another lab and guess what !!
perfectly clean no pests. NADA

Go figure

1 Like

What do u expect from a industry that accepts giving isolate testing over 100%. If they’re missing that high, I bet they can miss that low.

show that chrom. don’t care about COA.

Edit: Also there is no question it can be done when there are d8 certified reference materials. But can it be done on a scale that is profitable?

1 Like

This is such a massive issue and action must be taken. How can labs be awarded so much leniency when the difference is between compliance and charges? Is there merit to the idea of creating organization focused on standardizing D8 testing between vetted labs? @Siosis
At least this would show that labs and processors are following due process to ensure that they are releasing legal products to the marketplace.

2 Likes

The method for isolates should not be the same as for other product of much lower concentration.

When I got to measured isolate, I always re calibrate using another in-house isolates, and do a duplicate. I also add a gravimetric dilution step (while it is direct analysis for other kinf of sample).
All measurements generally fall within 98.00-99.87% (taking account of trace of CBDv and another one that is always a little bit there).

3 Likes

I would love to share it, but I am not in possession of the chrom, nor is it technically mine to share. I can ask and see, though. When I get back into a lab, I’ll be happy to show you when I make it.

The question you present is a loaded one that is dependent on the lab intending to do it. It absolutely can be very profitable, but it can also push one to a loss of significant investment. What are your acceptable margins? Cost of labor and starting material? Are you vertically integrated? Who is running the process? How well do they already do the rest of the more complicated tests assigned to them? And on and on and on.

So really what I am trying to say is both yes and no.

Remember when THCa decarbed beyond D9 meant you burned your batch ?

That’s how this D8/ D10 lab shit gets solved, The market corrects by educating customers that D8 & 10, CBN, CBC = burned.

How many people do you guys think actually use these isomers recreationally? Or regularly ? Or is the customer just buying what’s cheapest? Lol I bet the latter.

2 Likes

No, they can’t include every standard, but they should be able to identify when they need to do more work before releasing results. Experience matters and all too often these labs can’t even get on the phone to talk about what they did to get at the result they’ve given you.

I keep being told that we’re the only lab that will get on the phone. Why is that? Do they know how to explain the science? We’re all smart people here. Start pressing your lab for information. Ask for chromatograms. Threaten to cross test samples with other labs and then do it.

We’re happy to test anything you send us. The more challenging and novel the better. Bring it on.

Can your lab say that?

10 Likes

I used to be the QA officer at a testing lab. The number one cause of bad lab mistakes is: accidentally mixing up your vial with someone else’s. Problems of this sort routinely get overlooked in water testing and other common tests. If you ever get a result that’s just completely different from what you expected, thca in your distillate, solvents you didn’t use, and other weird irrational results, that’s almost always the cause.

8 Likes

My group is not an analytical lab. And I’m glad to hear you take your work seriously, well done.

Edit, I misunderstood “can your lab say that?” to mean can my own lab say that - we are not an analytical lab. That being said, our chosen analytical lab does evidently say this - you’re our lab.

3 Likes

KCA Labs: top notch hands down. way too many fly by night, unprofessional “labs” in existence. These guys are 100% my go to. Speed dial style.

6 Likes

I don’t get what the hubbub is all about. We’re looking at feedstock prices in the next month or two once. I know traditional people who have gotten ripped off being sold d8 as d9 so I would tread carefully who you to sell to as well.

Side note
I’ve been to 4-5 farms who wouldn’t sell their flower to me because they’re basing their entire business plan based off D8 :joy::joy::joy: