Gods of Color, ANGRY!!!

I found charcoal didn’t make as much a difference if not heated with media to filter. Summits s.o.p is to mix charcoal to 10:1 solution. Heat and filter over silicate, I wouldn’t excpect just filtering over room temp carbon would do anything for color.

2 Likes

What your saying is counter intuitive to something that is accepted as a fact which is the notion that temperatures play a significant role in the effectiveness of the adsorption process, this is true no matter what adsorbent your using. Which is why when you read about the actual application of bleaching earth on an ndustrial scale such as in edible oil refinement they will typically mix the oil with bleaching earth and heat the mixture while mixing.

Your saying you don’t mix the clay with your butane/bho, you don’t do any kind of stirring or mixing to help the clay particles do their job and you also do your filtration at subzero temps. On top of that your getting more color reduction than people are getting by doing everything they can to increase efficiency of adsorption i.e. heating/stirring a solution of alcohol/bho/clay.
You’ve got to be lying about something.

4 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa, please ditch the negativity… There are a lot of partial statements in the grand scheme of things, and any points of consideration are valued. I understand a novel of ‘prerecs’, are technically required before any statement, and I’ll definately post results of any process that works well.
I don’t mind wading thru info, and suggestions, and will gladly pay forward any improvement I get.
Let’s chill on neg talk and assumption por favor.

2 Likes

Right. Sorry I should a hit him in the DM with that.

1 Like

Hahahahahahh! …or inquire WHY a cold scrub is getting a blessing from the God of Color… I think @anon42519203 says dryness is super ultra important… my AC (CarbChem) was fresh from the bucket sealed… maybe more too it…

Next step…
Running a 75C scrub with 5%wt AC to elim AC from the possible solutions, then onto other media… will post updated trial here in a few.

Using 1, 2, 3 filter papers from Summit… seem to be fast and great at keeping particles out of the filtered side. A def :+1: for the performance. In my short experience, performing exactly as advertised thru their Hock!

2 Likes

Well I think my comment is out of place in the context of this thread, I should have posted it in https://future4200.com/t/very-clear-bho-shatter-definitely-scammed-warning-to-all-hash-lovers-and-makers/7046/41

3 Likes

Try 90 c

Process: Scrub
Media: 5%wt AC / wt 1st Pass Distillate
Temp: 70C
Duration: 30min

Notes
First Set of Upper Left and Upper Right Pictures from Previous Run.
Solution Set overnight in -2C to Create Lower Left Image.
No light exposure during rest period.

Results of OC scrub Lower Right Image…

2 Likes

Next experiment, Summit Achromatizing Clay, 5%wt / wt OleoResin. 70C @ 30min. Filter 1,2,3 stack in the Hock (Summit).

1 vs 2
Process: Ambient AC Filtration
Media: Compounded Stack
1in Sondergut Silikate Pulver (Summit)
1in AC (CarbChem)
Filters: 1,2,3 Paper Stack Si and AC separated by #1 papers (Summit)
Unit: Vac Hock (Summit)
Temp: Ambi, 0C
Duration: Active Vac Filtration

1 vs 1A: Left overnight, no blanket, ~ -2C (12hrs)
pH: 5

1A vs 2A
Process: Warm AC Scrub
Media: 5%wt / wt Oleoresin AC (CarbChem)
Filters: 1,2,3 Paper Stack (Summit)
pH: 4

1A vs 3A
Process: Warm AchromClay Scrub
Media: 5%wt / wt Oleoresin Achromatizing Clay (Summit)

1A vs 3A
Process: Warm Carbon A Scrub
Media: 5%wt / wt Carbon A (Summit)

8 Likes

SUGGESTIONS!?!

I have:

• Celite 545,
  • Carbon Chem’s T5, Clay
  • Carb Chem’s Activated Alumina

I saw @Apothecary36 ‘s post on hotter scrubbin’. Summit’s SOP says 42C…

Is there an obvious move here?
WhichWay

The Hotter scrub makes sense.
And the Summit is a Proprietary SOP for their carbon A…
not conflicting… but… Hmmm…

• Hot Scrub with AC
  • Celite 545
  • Activated Alumina (For Shits & Gigls)
  • T5 Clay
  • Sumpin Smarter?
  • Oh you are a dip shiz, aren’t you NEWBIE!!!

0 voters

You can press it… it won’t hurt my feelers… too much… sniff

BUT IF YOU DO… post the secret sauce I’ma missing in exchange. Remember, one day YOU were a FNG… Yea, of course, not anymore… That’s not the point!

1 Like

I’m always told that carbon works better with heat

Also, a carbon filtration usually removes the nasty darknesss from the etho washes. I don’t see that nasty darkness in the original post.

3 Likes

It seems like your color is not improving significantly. I would either try sub micron filtration (like .4 or .2 micron) and/or utilize the citric acid degumming. If your color is still dark after that then you can mail it to me and I will dispose of it properly for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe shadownaught said something about how carbon chemistry’s t-41 clay and mag/sil products are meant to be used in conjunction with one another.

IIRC the idea is that you don’t have to perform a degumming step if you use the acid activated t-41 because the acid in the t-41 reacts with the phospholipids in solution, the ph can then be readjusted back to neutral with mag/sil.

2 Likes

What is the difference between doing a cold or a warm scrub?

The way the oil and the adsorbent will interact…many factors are at play like what your oil is dissolved in…butane,ethanol,pentane etc. Also I noticed the ratio of solvent to oil plays a role…using more solvent to oil ratio will allow the adsorbent to be more effective

7 Likes

Wait, wait, wait ; what if you made it so that you have a little bit of activated charcoal inside a mixture that was inside a round bottom flask and had a 500ml fractional column on the flask and applied a vacuum with a cold trap regulating the vacuum @ room temp? Would.it help the a.c. Mix into the mixture?

Where would I obtain a filter that with that small of um?

Syringe filters are some of the best I’ve used, but I’ve only done it a handful of times when the clarity wasn’t as expected and I was overly paranoid about contaminants.

Be forewarned it is a long and painful process unless you have a good syringe as the filters get overloaded quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Biomed-Scientific-Syringe-Membrane-Diameter/dp/B06XPD6PYG/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_m_330_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XPD6PYG&pd_rd_r=T5GT78RTYKP3KJRGR7QJ&pd_rd_w=fHPDX&pd_rd_wg=3Yhqa&pf_rd_p=18c2b826-5d67-45b8-bd0f-5035fd478b7f&pf_rd_r=T5GT78RTYKP3KJRGR7QJ&psc=1&refRID=WPKX345ZY66S3RPA0TCS

Were the ones I used, I also got some chinese ones that worked equally well but took significantly longer to arrive. I would do research before just ordering something :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried rigging these up to a vacuum manifold to do more than one at a time.

1 Like